For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
I

• 

1 Message

Friday, October 22nd, 2021 5:07 PM

Can I Start A New Service If The Previous Person Didnt Pay Bill

Too make a long story short i work and live with my dad im of age all that is fine but as soon as covid hit he tried to unbundle phones and tv from our internet because the bill was high going in a pandemic and work got slow they said they would unbundle it but it never was and the bill got higher so he decided to not pay and they kept the service up a few months and adding to the bill even more towards the 1300 range and its been a year or so no internet so my question is if i can start a new service but under my name and pay monthly or am I responsible for his debt?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

3 years ago

You are not responsible for his debt, unless you cosigned the account.  However, having a relative order service for the same location as an account terminated for non payment will raise a lot of red flags.  The fact that you're not responsible doesn't free him from responsibility, and they'd like the money they're owed, and asking him to pay that before allowing service to a relative at the same location is a reasonable business policy for them.  

If you weren't a relative and/or he wasn't still there, i.e. he'd moved away and you were just a new resident, there would be fewer problems for you.

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.