Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
jd111's profile

3 Messages

Tuesday, January 30th, 2024 10:00 PM

Closed

ACP possibly up in April 2024

I got a letter saying, due to lack of funding, the ACP credit could be canceled as early as April 2024. When I signed up, I was told by AT&T that it was good for a year. I want to know what AT&T's plan is to keep their promise. They can't just pull the rug out from under us. If we were told we have a year with this credit, AT&T should have a plan in place to keep that promise, regardless of funding. I can see this turning into a (Edited per community guidelines) situation... 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

4 months ago

ACP is a GOVERNMENT FUNDED PROGRAM that all ISPs participated in.  Industry sources say the program is unlikely to be included in spending bills passed by the Republican-controlled House.  If & when funding ceases, AT&T has no obligation to provide any other benefit.  

Before the ACP was introduced, ATT offered ACCESS by AT&T. The Access program was a condition of AT&T’s $67.1 billion acquisition of DirecTV in July 2015. The FCC required AT&T to offer discounted broadband services for four years after the acquisition (2019).  

Regardless of what you were told, if the money ain’t there, the money ain’t there.  And ATT’s obligation for ACCESS has been fulfilled.   There will not be any kind of CALS as no contract has been broken.  The TOS states that benefits can be removed at any time.

For more information on the state of ACP, it is on the FCC WEBSITE

(edited)

Accepted Solution

Former Employee

• 

22.4K Messages

3 months ago

Under the initial EBB plan funded $3.2 billion May 2021 households received $50 per month… that ended 12/31/21… 

The ACP was started in January 2022  and within 28 months will have cost American taxpayers $14.2 billion to fund.

The money ain’t free, someone’s paying… the same with SNAP, school lunch’s, etc.

If ACP ends see if you qualify for the federal program LIFELINE…. That is $9.25 a month instead of $30 ACP.

https://www.fcc.gov/general/lifeline-program-low-income-consumers

Tutor

• 

433 Messages

4 months ago

The Terms, conditions & restr’s says "AT&T reserves the right to remove the monthly benefit at any time."

ACE - Expert

• 

24.5K Messages

4 months ago

@jd111  My cut and paste from the FCC:

Without additional funding from Congress, the allotted $14.2b allotted to fund the ACP is projected to run out in April 2024 (estimated date). As a result, the FCC has begun to take steps to wind down the ACP. What that means is that:

1. ACP applications and enrollments will not be accepted after Feb. 7th 2024 at 11:59pm ET.
  2. Households who have applied, been approved, and are receiving benefits will continue to do so until the funds run out as long as the household remains enrolled in the program.
  3. After the ACP funds run out (around April 2024), participating households will no longer receive the discounts.

This is not specific to AT&T. It applies to all providers and carriers who offer ACP. You can thank Congress for not appropriating more funds.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

4 months ago

AT&T didn't make any promises.  

Until this announcement went out, there was no designated end for ACP other than the federal government saying that they would continue to pay out until there was no money left.  

2 Messages

4 months ago

I receive the affordable connectivity program,  received $30 discount monthly that has been helping me alot .

Is congress going to keep funding the program?

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Affordable connectivity program

ACE - Expert

• 

14.3K Messages

As of right now, the answer is no.

No one can tell what will happen between now and April, though. Call your Senators and Congresspeople and let them know your view.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

HERE is the press release from the FCC.

Shoutout to everyone who can remember their childhood phone number but can't remember the password they created yesterday.  You are my people.  😊

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.5K Messages

@blacksox509 

Without additional funding from Congress, the allotted $14.2b allotted to fund the ACP is projected to run out in April 2024 (estimated date). As a result, the FCC has begun to take steps to wind down the ACP. What that means is that:

1. ACP applications and enrollments will not be accepted after Feb. 7th 2024 at 11:59pm ET.
  2. Households who have applied, been approved, and are receiving benefits will continue to do so until the funds run out as long as the household remains enrolled in the program.
  3. After the ACP funds run out (around April 2024), participating households will no longer receive the discounts.

AT&T Cell Booster Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

4 months ago

I want to know what lobbying or petition efforts this corporate behemoth is going to enact on behalf of its customers. In a country that is siphoning Billon$ of dollar$ to countries for war efforts and providing pricey iPhones & service, etc., to non-taxpaying non-citizens, it is unconscionable that the gov't. can't find it in its budget to maintain and continue this program.  I expect ATT to do more on this effort.  They have no problem fighting with cable providers to deprive customers of programming due to contract conflicts.  Fight for service users.  Esp. in this trashed economy, where young students still are removed from classrooms periodically because non-citizens need a place to get out of a weather event.  Money for foreigners but not American internet users?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.5K Messages

4 months ago

The possible shutting down of the ACP program is due entirely to the Congress not approving more money for the program. AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile etc have very little to do, or power over, with how Congress decides to appropriate funds. The anger should be aimed at your local congressman and not the providers/carriers. This is entirely different than the carriage negotiation disputes that happen every few years.

Former Employee

• 

22.4K Messages

4 months ago

There are over 22 million ACP subscribers and over 1700 providers receiving ACP money…. ATT is one of 1700 that is receiving government money but from 2016 to 2021 ATT ACCESS program for those receiving SNAP benefits received NO federal dollars.

How many people are enrolled in ACP?
Total Enrolled ACP Subscribers by Service Type
Service Type Total Subscribers Percent of Total
Mobile Broadband 12,052,718 54.4%
Fixed Broadband** 9,913,890 44.7%
Fixed Wireless or Satellite 181,071 0.9%
Total 22,147,679 100%

edit….

The top 10 ACP providers by funding received at that time were Charter Communications (a hair under $910 million), Q Link Wireless ($288.2 million), Tracfone Wireless (which is now owned by Verizon, with $250.2 million), Comcast ($232.4 million), T-Mobile ($208 million), AT&T ($188.4), Excess Telecom ($181.8 million), Sage Telecom ($168.6 million), Dish Wireless ($119.7 million) and Cox Communications ($117.8 million). 

Other major providers, including Verizon ($18.2 million) Mediacom ($8 million) and Consolidated Communications ($35,229) had received substantially less.

But that data is obviously out of date now, as it was only current through the end of February 2023. At that time, there were only 16.4 million people enrolled in the ACP. As of January 22, 2024, there were 22.8 million. A graphic depicting the latest breakdown of ACP funding by state is below. 

https://www.fiercetelecom.com/broadband/how-much-acp-exposure-do-big-internet-providers-have

(edited)

1 Message

4 months ago

There is still time to contact your members of congress to help make sure that ACP continues—you can reach them at  KeepAmericanConnected.com/ACP

https://www.attconnects.com/help-protect-access-to-affordable-internet-acp/

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.