Shop Now, Avoid Delays - Get Our Best Holiday Deals!
Need help connecting your router?
critterc's profile

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

Thu, Jun 17, 2021 5:33 PM

When will DSL customers get faster internet, if ever from AT&T?

For 3 years now I have been a customer of AT&T due to lack of providers in my area. I live about 1 mile outside of town and the fastest I get is 10mbps. Which translates to download speeds of 1.3 mb/s. I am also running t-mobile's home internet and it gets the same speed due to the poor signal. When I checked on the location of AT&T cell towers to look into their fixed wireless internet I found that the signal strength would be the same as T-mobile but with data caps so that's a no go.

Now to my question, when will they upgrade the infrastructure or do anything for their rural customers? I know they previously received funding from the government to help "support rural customers" but that hasn't exactly panned out.

I have spoken to customer support and a few techs over the years and the answer has always been the same when I ask about this which is... "We are building out our fiber network and you should be able to upgrade your internet soon. So I'm not sure what "soon" is in their books but 3 years isn't really soon when we have had no announcements, no updates, nothing. My parents who live across the road from me have had ATT for about 15-17 years now and are on the same speed as me, it's really upsetting seeing loyal customers neglected like that.

As of this moment I put in an order to starlink hoping they will come through some time this year. I'm not fond of the idea of satellite internet but they had good reviews so far. I did read that ATT is trying to push towards getting their DSL customers on fixed wireless internet but the last time I looked at that it had a stupid low data cap... like 250gbs or 500gbs, both are really low when you consider streaming in 4k would use that up like nothing... if you can stream in 4k that is.

SO AT&T WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO CARE ABOUT YOUR RURAL CUSTOMERS AND DO WHAT YOU WERE GIVEN OUR TAX MONEY FOR OR ARE WE ALL GOING TO START USING STARLINK AND T-MOBILE HOME INTERNET?

Constructive

Employee

• 

24.4K Messages

6 m ago

they dont share future service dates with the public or front line employees 

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

6 m ago

Thank you for the timely response. It was the answer I expected and I just wanted to rant a bit after years of being on internet speeds from the mid 2000s. I will now go back to watching simple youtube videos buffer if more than one device is connected at a time. Thank you for your time and the "information" as usual.......

Constructive

Employee

• 

24.4K Messages

6 m ago

ive owned my house for 11 years, been stuck with 1.5 meg down since i moved in. had to go with ranch wifi just so i can work from home

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

6 m ago

I feel your pain, I am in the IT profession but had to stop working at my job when they realized my internet connection wasn't reliable enough for remote support. One of the reasons I am a bit upset about it. Other people say the solution would be to move but I don't have money to just pick up and move to get better internet.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.