Pre-order the New Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 & Galaxy Z Fold4 and, for a limited time, get twice the storage and a free case!
Need help connecting your router?
jp4lsu's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Wed, Nov 28, 2018 9:32 PM

Uverse data line (dsl) connection to Modem

Hey ya'll....noob here.  Figured I'd ask here before I start cutting.Smiley Surprised

I have Uverse installed with an Arris NVG599 modem/router.  I'm cleaning up and organizing my structured media enclosure and the ATT work needs to be cleaned up on the phone side and dsl (broadband) side.

Broadband Connection:

-Cat5e is connected to ATT box outside ( I haven't looked at this outside connection yet)

-This Cat5 cable comes into the enclosure and the Green/Green White pair are spliced with Blue/Blue White pair from another Cat5.  So then Green/Blue and Green White/Blue White are paired together.

-All is good until....this spliced Cat5 then terminates into some potting on the back of a wall plate.  From the potting wires come out and go into 2x jacks on the wall plate.  1 jack is marked broadband.  From the Broadband jack, a green cable goes to the (DSL/Broadband) RJ11 jack on the back of the modem/router.

I want to get rid of this wall plate, that is between the Uverse data line coming from outside and the Modem.

Question:

-After the splice can I get rid of the Wall plate with the potting and take the Blue/Blue White lines and put them into a keystone.  Then I can plug my green broadband cable from the modem directly into the keystone?

This would get rid of this dumb wall plate that was rigged up and is just hanging in the enclosure.

If I snip the blue/blue white wires after the splice, do I need to disconnect anything outside at the Uverse box?

Don't want to short anything out on the ATT side especially.

Thanks for the help.  I can't post any pics right now.

-JP

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

16.1K Messages

4年前

. The cable comes into what enclosure? 

"This Cat5 cable comes into the enclosure and the Green/Green White pair are spliced with Blue/Blue White pair from another Cat5.  So then Green/Blue and Green White/Blue White are paired together"// I'm assuming one of these cable goes back to the NID.  If so which pair is being used at that point?

Not sure what's meant by "potting" unless you're just talking about the connections on the back of the jack. 

Question 1, you'd have to terminate the pair that is now feeding the data/broadband jack so if that is currently the White/Blue and that's what you mean, than yes

Question 2, depends on what that pair is doing.  Where's it's coming from and what's it terminated in.

You can do a search on wiring a rj11 jack or wiring at the NID or any number wiring diagrams for what your trying to do.  Without knowing where the feed comes from and where it plays into all this it's hard to say.  I'm not 100% sure I followed all of what you said.  

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

4年前

Sorry if I wasn't clear spoom2.  This can be difficult without pics.

The cable comes into what enclosure? 

The cat5 comes from Uverse NID into the house and into my structured wiring enclosure in a closet.  From there the splicing happens. 

I'm assuming one of these cable goes back to the NID.  If so which pair is being used at that point?

You are correct, I need to confirm which wires are being used at the outside box.

In the 1st picture, ignore the keystone, that is going to the phone.  Here you can see the green broadband jack and cable that then goes to the modem.

In the 2nd picture, you can see the splice that is happening.  2 wires in the cat5, which come from NID are spliced to blue/blue white pair which teminates into the back of the wall plate with the "potting".  I didn't know what to call that stuff.   So all I'm trying to do is get rid of this wall plate and clean this up.

Thanks for the response and help.

-JP

20181113_195448_resized.jpg

20181114_210624_resized.jpg

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

16.1K Messages

4年前

Can you give me the name and model of that jack?  I've never seen one like it, looks like it might have an AT&T logo, but here's what I assume.  Since the cable is encapsulated in the jack, I'm betting that jack has a built in filter to another jack  on the same face plate for a shared DSL/phone connection of course I could be all wet too.  If that's the white/blue pair you're talking about going to the white/green pair than I'd assume your white/green pair goes to the NID.  You could put a Keystone on the pair that white/blue from the jack is going to and have the same connection you have now.  I don't really see what you'd gain, other than the removal of the face plate. 

Those structured wiring enclosures never were made for all the crap that gets thrown into them so I'm not going to comment on what I think of the installation job. (Guess that gave it away)  I don't know what your wiring experience is, but there's lots of ways that could be cleaned up. Just search the Internet for structured communications wiring, phone wiring or anything else you can think of for some ideas. Check out Keystone jack face plates for single and double gang boxes, even that would be an improvement. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

4年前

Thanks for the help spoom2.

The enclosure has been a disaster.  The ATT techs, security techs etc aren't paid to install this stuff into enclosures.  So I'm installing an access point and UPS, and decided to utilize the enclosure.  So I'm trying to get rid of the wall plate, shorten and clean up the cables. 

I have a little quick port box that I will put a few keystones in and use one for connecting the broadband.

Let me try to get a.picture of the wall plate for you.  I believe you are correct, it looks like it is for using having a phone and dsl service at one wall plate

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

4年前

I have a couple more pics of the wall plate.  But I believe you are right about the filter and a combo phone/DSL wall plate.

Also, should I disconnect the cable on the NID?

Or can I snip the blue/white wires and install in the keystone while still connected to the NID?

Thanks again,

JP

20181128_192722_resized.jpg20181128_192735_resized.jpg

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

16.1K Messages

4年前

You don't need to disconnect it at the NID, there's nothing you can hurt, or get hurt by, by leaving it connected.  It's probably just plugged in with a jack, you can find the different type of NID's with google, so if it makes you feel better it's probably pretty simple to disconnect it.  Thanks for the added photos, that's exactly what it is, I've never seen one built into a jack before, usually they split it out in the NID and bring the voice and data in on different pairs, actually a pretty neat way to do it.  Of course if you had multiple jacks the other jacks would have to be filtered separately.  Good luck on the clean up, post a finished picture when your done. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

4年前

Thanks a lot of the help and clarification.

So my plan is to snip the blue/white wires and get rid of the wall plate.

Then I put the blue/white wires in a keystone so they match up with the wiring in the green broadband cable and RJ11 connector.

Put the keystone in my quickport box and then plug in the green dsl cable.

That sound about right?

I'll also be putting the phone line in the quickport as well.

-JP

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

16.1K Messages

4年前

Sounds right.  Good luck, I think you've got it all figured out.

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

16.1K Messages

4年前

The purpose of that jack is not what I stated.  @my thoughts has explained it in several topics if you'd like to search those post.  Below in bold is one of the best explanations I've found, sorry if I've mislead you, it won't affect the service but the purpose of the jack has been removed:

That is called the AT&T Branded Jack -- the theory is, it is an indoor point of demarcation or test jack.

If wired correctly, it should have 4 home ran pairs from the NID to that jack -- 2 as a forward feed to the Green port, and 2 as a back feed back to the NID

From that point, a modem can be connected to the Green port for internet only to a dedicated jack, VoIP can be back feed back to the NID and the normal phone IW via the gray port, and if a customer wants straight pots, using a phone cord and jumping the green and gray jacks together, basically is the same function as the test jack and test plug that is typically outside in a standard NID anyway

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

4年前

Alright spoom2, thanks a lot for the input and advice.

So I snipped the blue/blue-white between the splice and the jack.  Took the blue/blue-whit and installed into keystone and stuck it into a quickport box for neatness and containment of wires.  I told you I would post a pick of the finished project.

I have a UPS backup in the bottom right of the picture.  I need to tidy those cables up and get the door closed.

-1 powerstrip in the enclosure to power the security box, ATT WAP for TV, and a switch with PoE.  This powerstrip goes out of the enclosure and is plugged to the surge protector side of the UPS

-The Uverse router/modem power cable is run out of the enclosure to the battery backup side of the UPS. Then the UPS plug is powered by the outlet inside in the enclosure.

So everything is up and running after the clean up job.  I also ran Cat5 (the green one) to the other end of the house to run a Unifi Access Point.  This has been a good little project and good learning project too.

Thanks for you help spoom2 in helping out on the ATT connection side of things.

-JP

20181204_210231_resized.jpg

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

16.1K Messages

4年前

Certainly a lot cleaner than it was.  There's only so much you can do with those structured boxes, your space is pretty limited. Thanks for posting the after pictures. 

Need help?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.