Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Observer

• 

14 Messages

Wed, Jan 22, 2020 11:25 PM

The question that no one at ATT can answer - what is installed when moving from 50 Mbps to 100 Mbps internet?

For anyone that has followed my recent bill and service rant on the TV forum you know that I have a modem/gateway that was installed less than two years ago to provide 50 Mbps internet speed. Now, with the update that seems to be in progress - more to follow in part 4 of my rant series - I am moving to 100 Mbps. I have asked a couple of people what will be installed and no one that has answered actually seems to know. At least one seemed as confused as me by the need for a tech visit.

The basic issue is that if the tech needs physical access to the modem/gateway; I need to know in advance. The modem sits on the back side of an entertainment center in a bedroom. It is difficult to impossible to access for making cable connections unless the entertainment center is moved. That in and of itself is a feat as the room that it is in is relatively small and the entertainment center is packed with gear.

So, can anyone out there give me any idea what I should expect?

Responses

ACE - Expert

• 

12.8K Messages

a month ago

Which gateway do you currently have?
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Observer

• 

14 Messages

Current gateway is the BGW210-700.

The person that was confused about the tech visit seemed even more confused when I gave them that information.

davemize

ACE - Professor

• 

1.1K Messages

a month ago

If you are already connected using bonded pair (2 pairs of wire delivering your signal, instead of a single pair) you may not require an in-home tech visit. You're likely using a BGW210 or Pace 5268 gateway in this case. The tech will make some connection changes at the VRAD / crossbox, then release the new 100M order. The gateway should be restarted at this point.

If you currently are getting 50MB using a single pair connection, then a tech visit will definitely be required to make additional connections from your neighborhood VRAD to your local serving terminal to the outside of your home (NID) to the data outlet on your wall. Expect 3 - 4 hours of work in this case, and a new gateway may be required.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Observer

• 

14 Messages

Unfortunately the wiring connections are unknown as they are hidden behind a security screwed cover. i have the hardware to get in as I'm an old security install guy. But, I tend to leave other folks toys alone unless there is good reason to play (i.e. smoke, sparks, fire, etc.)

my thoughts

Employee

• 

14K Messages

a month ago

moving from 50 to 100...

Which transport type do your currently have? possible options....

Single pair (broadband 1 only on 589, 599, 5269 gateways)

Bonded pair with both broadband 1, 2 on same listed gateways

Direct Fiber (FTTP) with external or internal ONT

Note FTTN will be connected on GREEN port of gateway while FTTP will be RED port.

IF have FTTN 50 (single pair)... staying on FTTN

The FTTN 100 requires a bonded pair on K or N card with basically new install and will need access to wall connections.

If FTTN 50 (bonded pair) staying on FTTN, likely external ports changed, possible gateway replaced

IF FTTN 50 moving to Direct Fiber 100, complete new install, several hours (3+?) including installing fiber outside and inside along with mounting ONT needing power.

IF Direct Fiber 50 to Direct Fiber 100, may replace ONT if external to internal ONT.

To be safe.... prepare the room to allow access before tech arrival... I would estimate the chance to be about 50-50...

Note... is a higher speed available such as 300 or 1000, if yes this will be a fiber install.

Without someone being on site to view your system, I would not expect a phone or chat contact to be able to answer your question..... like them knowing how your tv is connected to the receiver, A/V, Coax, Component, HDMI, and which port of your tv. Tech on site can visible confirm something that is not known without asking several questions the customer might not know the answer of.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Observer

• 

14 Messages

Definitely not a fibre connection. That isn't even available in my area yet. ATT seems to be laying the ground work for it as they've been out laying some kind of lines in the neighborhood for the last several months.

The 100 Mbps speed is the fastest thing available in my area currently.

As far as ATT not knowing how end user equipment (TV, receiver, etc.) are connected I can understand. Not keeping track and knowing how the company equipment (gateway, etc.) is connected is another story. As I said above; I'm an old security install guy. We knew how things were done even when it had been done by someone that hadn't been with the company for decades.

my thoughts

Employee

• 

14K Messages

The individual your communicating with are neither installers or repair techs...

Tier 1 support is computer script readers...

Ask question, based upon your response a flow chart will lead to the next question or option such as sent equipment, transfer you to a different department or schedule a tech.

Some call centers in the USA are not even in Uverse areas, such as Arizona...

If out of country, refer to script / flow chart reader.

The tech on site will be the person to ask and discuss concerns....

Your options will be to continue the upgrade, delay the upgrade by requesting reschedule appointment or cancel the appointment and not upgrade.

edit...

based upon your previous posts... the tech will need access (80+%) in my opinion....

Why?, your currently internet 50, most likely single pair as internet 100 is (2) 50/10 combined at the gateway to provide the 100/20. Thus additional pair needs to be provided, includes a new jumper wire at the crossbox, connect binding post at serving term to your drop. Update the NID with additional protector for 2nd pair, make connection behind the wall plate, may involve replacing the wall jack to ATT Branded Jack if not currently installed. Then the tech release turning off your old service and activating the new bonded service, gateway reboots and may take update. The 210 is the newest gateway, the gateway and data cable should not need to be replaced.

A thought, if believe direct fiber will be available within next 6 to 8 month, which will require all wiring to be replaced from serving terminal to ONT installation, should you continue with current upgrade or wait till direct fiber with 100/100, 300/300 or 1000/1000 is an option?

(edited)

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Observer

• 

14 Messages

I can promise the only person I've spoken with in all my chats and phone contact with ATT that was in the US was a lady from the "loyalty" department. Perhaps if more of ATT's customer service was here instead of over there I wouldn't have had the experience that I've had. But, I'm just an old dude that ran a high volume contact center for years. What the heck do I know?

I'm guessing you know where things were headed when I note that I spoke with the "loyalty" department. So, you can probably also guess that putting this off for a few months isn't really an option.

The fact is another contact from an ATT person on another portion of this forum is the only reason I'm keeping the appointment to have things updated. They are probably from the US as their communication is clear and they are following through on their offer to help.

Anyway, I appreciate your knowledge and advice. I will make sure everything is clear and hope for better days ahead.

my thoughts

Employee

• 

14K Messages

These forums are for customers to communicate with other customers...

I and some others, while ATT employees, are here on our own time, not paid support.

We share based upon our experiences, same as others here...

I am a Uverse tech in the Milwaukee market (SE Wisconsin), some may be call center, techs or outside plant... different work groups with different experiences.

Observer

• 

14 Messages

a month ago

Thanks everyone for the responses. I at least have something to base my planning around. If anyone else has knowledge; please feel free to jump in.