Check out the AT&T Gift Guide for Valentine's Day Gifts for every kind of love!
Need help connecting your router?
sparky102869's profile

Observer

• 

17 Messages

Wed, Jan 22, 2020 11:25 PM

The question that no one at ATT can answer - what is installed when moving from 50 Mbps to 100 Mbps internet?

For anyone that has followed my recent bill and service rant on the TV forum you know that I have a modem/gateway that was installed less than two years ago to provide 50 Mbps internet speed. Now, with the update that seems to be in progress - more to follow in part 4 of my rant series - I am moving to 100 Mbps. I have asked a couple of people what will be installed and no one that has answered actually seems to know. At least one seemed as confused as me by the need for a tech visit.

The basic issue is that if the tech needs physical access to the modem/gateway; I need to know in advance. The modem sits on the back side of an entertainment center in a bedroom. It is difficult to impossible to access for making cable connections unless the entertainment center is moved. That in and of itself is a feat as the room that it is in is relatively small and the entertainment center is packed with gear.

So, can anyone out there give me any idea what I should expect?

ACE - Expert

• 

21.5K Messages

2 y ago

Which gateway do you currently have?

Observer

• 

17 Messages

Current gateway is the BGW210-700.

The person that was confused about the tech visit seemed even more confused when I gave them that information.

davemize

ACE - Professor

• 

3.6K Messages

2 y ago

If you are already connected using bonded pair (2 pairs of wire delivering your signal, instead of a single pair) you may not require an in-home tech visit. You're likely using a BGW210 or Pace 5268 gateway in this case. The tech will make some connection changes at the VRAD / crossbox, then release the new 100M order. The gateway should be restarted at this point.

If you currently are getting 50MB using a single pair connection, then a tech visit will definitely be required to make additional connections from your neighborhood VRAD to your local serving terminal to the outside of your home (NID) to the data outlet on your wall. Expect 3 - 4 hours of work in this case, and a new gateway may be required.

Observer

• 

17 Messages

Unfortunately the wiring connections are unknown as they are hidden behind a security screwed cover. i have the hardware to get in as I'm an old security install guy. But, I tend to leave other folks toys alone unless there is good reason to play (i.e. smoke, sparks, fire, etc.)

Observer

• 

17 Messages

2 y ago

Thanks everyone for the responses. I at least have something to base my planning around. If anyone else has knowledge; please feel free to jump in.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.