Hurry! Find the perfect gift today! Everyone gets our best deals on any smartphone!
Need help connecting your router?
ccochran321's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, October 28th, 2014 4:03 AM

The connection to host on port 465 failed.

I am suddenly getting no outgoing mail on my Mac Mail application through my domain account.  The error message is "The connection to host (**Domain Mail Server**) on port 465 failed."  My domain host service provider went through all SMTP servers and ports that should work and have worked in the past.  ATT first level tech service was of no help and sent me to the pay Connect Tech service.  I had a similar problem a could of months ago with the incoming servers and it turned out to be an ATT problem.  I think it is again, so don't want to pay and don't think I should.  I just want to verify the correct settings.  Why should that be a pay service?

Isn't port 465 correct?  Isn't SSL enabled best?

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@ccochran321 See this website to show correct set-up by email client:

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401568

Otherwise could just forward all ATT/Yahoo mail to a gmail account and use your Mac Mail client there.  Avoiding all these ATT/Yahoo problems that constantly crop up. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Except that I'm not trying to set up ATT email.  I don't use ATT email.  I use my own domain email.  Apparently ATT doesn't like that and refuses to help.

ACE - Expert

• 

33.5K Messages

9 years ago

Did the technician at your e-mail provider suggest that you attempt to connect to his server using TELNET as a diagnostic tool?

TELNET

and see what kind of response you get.  You normally get a blank screen (which means you made a connection) at which you can try entering a few character and pressing ENTER (you would get a banner and an error message from most SMTP hosts that don't require SSL at this point).  This is a successful test.

If it returns to the command prompt as soon as you type a few characters (before you hit ENTER) without a message, it probably means SSL is required.  But you still made a connection.

If you get a message that the connection couldn't be made, then you have a connection problem somewhere between your PC and the mail server.  Could be AT&T, could be you, could be the far end.  Very hard to tell.  If you get either of the first two, then it appears that your connection is okay and that your log in is being denied at the mail server.

Not finding what you're looking for?