Need help connecting your router?
sean8102's profile

Scholar

• 

162 Messages

Monday, May 25th, 2020 1:47 AM

Suddenly unbalanced bonded VDSL2 line - Internet 100

If you want a TL/DR. Had sudden drop in signal quality March this year, modem eventually couldn't connect. Tech came out and got things up and running. But now my lines are very un balanced. First screenshot was taken 02-28-2020 and refelect how my line stats were for YEARS, second is how they are now and have been since the issue described below in March.

Hey guys. I have a question about my bonded VDSL2 service. I've had it for ~4 years now. It's been extremely reliable. However one day out of the blue in March my gateway disconnected, and re synced with much lower line stats than what I have had for years (for as far back as I can remember when they switched to 17Mhz). Over night the stats got worse and disconnects more frequent until it could not connect at all.

Tech came out next morning and said that one of the 4 copper lines that make up the bonded pair had become completely disconnected. He went out to the ped by the end of my drive way, came back to the NID did another test and I guess the stats were fine with him. My service was back up and speed tests were normal 95-100 Mbps down 20 up. However the bonded pair is very un balanced ever since then. As you can see by the screenshots, the first screenshot was taken 02-28-2020. Those were my line stats for YEARS.

Now look at the second screenshot, those are my stats rigth now and how they have been since the issue in March. This is also with only ~2.5 days up time (I recently flashed the latest 2.7.7 firmware).

To be fair my internet dose work, I get the speeds I pay for, not a single random disconnect since the tech visit etc. But even though it shouldn't it just kind of annoys me that I went from having REALLY good line stats to really un balanced. I made a point not to even try to get another tech out here without waiting at least 30 days because I did not want the guy that came out in March to get a mark against him for a repeat issue. But I'm guessing unless this starts causing service issues there is no way I'll get AT&T out here just to balance my lines. Any ideas on what could have caused this? Is there anything I could do or say? I should probably just forget about it right? lol

Above are original line stats that were like this for YEARS. Error rate is with ~60+ days up time.

And how my line stats have been since the issue and tech visit in March. Error rates are with just 2.5 days uptime.

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

4 years ago

Need to call, line 2 is running on half a pair... one of the 2 lines is loose or not connected, essential what the tech said the problem was in March.

Your first set of stats was not evenly balanced but within specs...

Evenly balanced should be about 50% on each or 55/11 per line you had 57 and 53, off about 2 up or down.... your current has line 1 carrying the load due to line 2 at half... 74 and 36 as max sync is 96 and 51.

A port bounce should be performed to see if lines would balance with a reset of the ports, otherwise a true test on tech meter to see where the problem is ... crossbox, outside plant, serving terminal, drop wire, nid, inside wiring, jack, data cable, gateway. Personally I would start testing at the NID, separating outside from inside... possible good on the drop wire to the NID, but not seated properly in the gel protectors at NID connecting to inside wire.

(edited)

Scholar

• 

162 Messages

@my thoughts Any suggestions for convincing AT&T support to send someone out? Any of the tech stuff will go over their heads. I'm pretty sure that since my connection is working fine (for now) I won't be able to say anything to convince them to do a truckroll.

Scholar

• 

162 Messages

I tried reaching out to AT&T social media team on twitter. Got a reply with a phone number and a extension that is not valid. Replied back that it says it's not a valid extension and haven't gotten a reply (been 5 days). Just sent a message with my number and a time they can call me, will see if I ever hear from them. I still highly doubt I'll get them to do a truck roll since technically my service is working. Even though I'm quite sure the issue is at the ped just a few feet from the end of my drive way (on the same side of the road) that has a garabge bag wrapped around it and a bunch of wires sticking out of it. That's where the tech went in March when my conection completely died and where he said the issue was (he said it was damaged by car). Also said that the ped should be properly repaired (the proper cover restored and not a black garabage bag wrapped around it as it still is) in about a month. I don't blame him for that never getting done, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he filed the work order and AT&T just dosen't consider it important enough to deal with.

(edited)

Scholar

• 

162 Messages

@my thoughts  First off thank you for your detailed tech analysis (I genuinely find it interesting) and taking the time to write it, but I've gotten nowhere with this. You got any advice for me? I've tried contacting AT&T through twitter, Facebook messenger, their own chat system etc. No replies on any of those support channels, AT&T official website chat said they "didn't see any service issues". Haven't bothered trying to call because I have no faith I will get someone that has any clue what I'm talking about. My only hope would be that they can see the very high error rate and at least have that make sense to them. I'm assuming they can see all your line stats. Error rates, attenuation, SN margin, current/max sync rates etc right? That would be my only possible hope. The first time I noticed this issue (the tech visit in March) and it ended up degrading so bad in one night the tech on the phone would not dispatch a tech until I tried a modem swap, even though I was getting random disconnects by this point (and my BGW-210 was less than a year old). After the new modem came in is when my service disconnected around 10 PM and never re connected until a tech arrived ~3PM next day. That's what makes me think bothering with phone support would be a waste of time trying to convince them to dispatch a tech to check my bonded pair.

I'm almost positive I know where the issue is, the same ped that the last tech said the issue was at. It's still in horrible shape, if not worse (pics attached). Only dif now is there is a black bag wrapped around it but you can still see large amounts of wires sticking out of it through the black bag thing he wrapped around it. I found a page with a number for reporting exposed wires but calling it it says press 2 for exposed wires, then it says welcome to AT&T wireless support we are closed for 4th of July. I'll try that tomorrow and see if it actually goes to the right department.

(you can right click "open image in new tab" or drag image to another tab to view larger version of pics)

Ped is still in this condition just with a black bag of some kind wrapped around it but you can easily see lots of wires sticking out through the black warping

Current Line Stats With 10 days uptime

(edited)

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

This is a holiday weekend with most all US offices closed till Monday.... only skeleton crews working.

Suggest unplug the data cap to the gateway before calling in.... in effect out of service. Can reconnect the gateway after call is completed and tech appointment is scheduled.

If the previous tech tested at the NID before going to the pedestal the issue may be at the NID, wires not seated properly when closing everything up. 

To have internet 100, means your within 1000 feet (1.5 blocks) of the VRAD. Where the actual issue is located (crossbox, pedestal, nid, or inside wiring including jack and data cable) would need further testing. Port bounce is still my first choice followed by checking connections. Ask the tech when dispatched to run a SELT test, this would show potential distance issue as well as performs a port bounce when testing is done. Expect your service to be out for up to 10 minutes during testing. 

Scholar

• 

162 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for the response. I can see how that would work. Probably the only way I'll convince CS to send someone out. Was gonna say I'm gonna feel awkward telling the tech what I did, but I could just say I had a sudden disconnect or it's started disconnecting randomly. I'd imagine just about any tech once they are out will notice how out of balance the two lines are. And I'll just say CS mentioned something looked off with the line quality. Guess I'll give that a shot soon and see what happens. If I get anywhere I'll update this, thanks again for your time. I'll also grab a pic of my NID tomorrow opened up just to see if anything stands out to you.

A minor positive, after flashing the latest firmware available from one of AT&T servers (version 2.8.5) on the BGW-210 I def have had a drop in CRC errors but the FEC's are still WAY higher than they ever have been. Used to be over the course of a month plus their would only be a few hundred of them total. This screenshot is over 11 days (since I flashed v 2.8.5)

(edited)

Scholar

• 

162 Messages

4 years ago

Went and checked out my NID. Took as good a pics as I could. I looked at everything closely and it all looks fine to me (didn't seem to be any loose wires or anything). I haven't tried your trick of contacting CS while disconnected yet (been a bit busy), will soon though.

https://imgur.com/a/DRehKpc

I was wondering with the part on the right side that has the door that opens that shows what looks to me like regular phone jacks, can either of those jacks be used to sync the modem to make sure the problem is outside the house? Feel quite confident it is but couldn't hurt.

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.