For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help connecting your router?
MFJewell's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Friday, September 5th, 2014 11:56 AM

Slow Wifi - Searched through the posts here, still looking for help

Yesterday I switched my ISP from Comcast to ATT. I have the 45 Mbps service. After service was installed, I did a speed test on the wifi connection and got about 17. I then tested with a direct connection and got the 44 - 45. Later in the evening, I continued to do speed tests and got as low as 1.5 mbps on wifi (with average around 9). Upload speeds were consistent at around 4.5 whether on wifi or plugged in and regardless of what download speed was showing. Location of my laptop versus location of the router did not seem to matter. Whether right next to it or on the other side of the house, speeds were consistently low. Number of devices connected did not make a difference either, I tried with several devices connected and with only one device connected and still would get the same speeds. On Comcast wifi, I had 50 Mbps service, and consistently got 40-42 on wifi. I am considering a range extender to see if that might help, but honestly, I am stumped on this one. Any ideas?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

It's likely that the RF energy generated by the download outshone the weaker signals on the adjacent channels to the point of obscuring them completely.  It's like trying to see a traffic signal in front of the sun.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Side note to all the great advice and ultimate solution already given/received....

I had the same problem when my old gray RG was swapped out for the new black one.  In my case every channel ran at the same speed which was around 6-7 Mbps vs the 18 Mbps advertised.  What fixed it was changing the router's default wi-fi setting from b/g to g only.  

The old RG was also running default settings but did not have this issue.  It's kinda like since all of my clients are b/g/n capable and the RG is b capable/enabled they just all agreed to run at that speed.  I know running both b and g devices on a mixed mode network can sometimes slow down the g devices but this was almost like the router was only in b mode.  Again, this was not the case on the old RG and I'm fairly certain it must've been in b/g mode as well.

If it's an issue with the RG, maybe the default setting should be g only with instructions included on how to change it to mixed mode if running antiques on the network.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Forgot to mention above....

The laptop I was running the speed test on WAS showing that it was connecting at 54Mbps, not 11Mbps like if it were on a b network.  Once the wif-fi was changed to g only, the speed test results immediately doubled with no other changes.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

AT&T says my two new desktops can't handle the 5 Ghz setting. They also can't tell me why my two new computers work fine at my office, where we also use Uverse. AT&T is a hack company with little to no tech support. Unfortunately, the only other internet option I can use is Spectrum. It's like doing business with the least crappy company.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.