Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!

• 

5 Messages

Tue, Apr 7, 2020 4:10 PM

Pace 5268 Ethernet Port Speeds

I have 1GB fiber running to the house and for RG the Pace5268. In 3 of the 4 ports on the back, I'm pushing 1GB speeds to the devices wired to those ports. On one, however, it tops at 100mbps. Is that a setting I can change? see photo attached- all of the orange are pushing 1GB. The Green is 100mb. Any suggestion how to fix? I have tried multiple laptops (Macs, with thunderbolt ports). I have that particular port running to a wall jack in my home office, then up to the laptops. Could the wall jack cap at 100mb? Or, is there a setting I can change on the RG? not much to find in the manuals online.

it tops at 100mbps. Is that a setting I can change? see photo attached- all of the orange are pushing 1GB. The Green is 100mb. Any suggestion how to fix? I have tried multiple laptops (Macs, with thunderbolt ports). I have that particular port running to a wall jack in my home office, then up to the laptops. Could the wall jack cap at 100mb? Or, is there a setting I can change on the RG? not much to find in the manuals online.

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

my thoughts

Employee

• 

15.3K Messages

2 months ago

There are (3) things to consider...

1) the port of the gateway set to T100 instead of T1000 in the setting (192.168.1.254)

2) the cabling including patch cables, wall jacks wired for T100 (2 pairs) instead of T1000 (4 pairs)

3) the limitation of the device(s) only have T100 ports, older laptops very possible.

My troubleshooting would start at the gateway, swapping ethernet cables moving your office connection to a different port, vica versa...

does the same port stay at green... if yes check the gateway settings if not move cables back as original ports.

Next would be moving a office device to be by gateway using a know working port, does it stay amber or go to green... if green problem is device is T100 only.

Having removed the gateway and device as possible problems, left with wiring issue.

Could check the patch cables with other ports to verify T1000 ot T100 cable

Believing the patch cables are good now need to look at the actual jacks and wiring....

Removing the wall plate(?) inspect the jack, should have all 4 pairs punched down at both locations, if only 2 pairs (green and orange) wired for T100 requiring rewiring.

If visible check is good on all wires connected, look at the jack pins, any bent or dust in the jack?

If believe jacks are good, inspect the wiring, any staples or other indications of damage to the wiring? requiring replacement?

Or just leave everything alone as T100 connection is likely more than will be using for most communications, takes a little longer... 100 million bits per second versus 1000 million bits per second. For internet connection if have 100 or less internet speed no noticeable difference while home networking may be slightly slower.

light reading...

http://www.fortnight.biz/networkwhatis.htm

(edited)

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

• 

5 Messages

@my thoughts it was the wall jack; only 2 punched down there- when I pulled it all apart and plugged directly into the patch cable, I immediately rang up 900+ down, so thank you for pointing out what to look for..... just need to find a new one and I'm in great shape. thanks again!