Need help connecting your router?
Rapturerax's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, April 19th, 2019 9:02 PM

No wall jack.

Received my self install kit. But I have no broadband Jack or phone jack in my apartment. I did notice that my modem does have a cable attachment on it. Is their a way to connect through a cable line.

Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

5 years ago

If you're talking about a coax cable the answer is no.  You need a service feed from the outside into your apartment, it's just a phone jack. 

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

Not sure why att would send you a self install if that address (apartment) didn't already support att internet.  First time installations to locations that never previously had an att internet require a att installer to come out to install it.  And I don't think a single apartment can have a sole installation wired up.  Did you check with the apartment manager?  Is there an att branded wall plate in the apartment?  The att gateways (router/modems) do not connect with a coax like a cable company.  They would use twisted pairs (the green data cable that comes with the self install).  So look for a wall jack that would appear as telephone jack and hopefully branded with ATT.

• 

1 Message

@_xyzzy_ 

I don’t know if I’m allowed to ask a question here but I called AT&T and asked if I could move my Internet service upstairs because it’s not good enough downstairs. The man said all I needed was a phone jack and a plug. I don’t have any ethernet type cables upstairs

ACE - Professor

• 

3.7K Messages

5 years ago

Most apartments have at least a single wall phone jack. Sometimes it's a wall jack in the kitchen, or it may be in the main room hidden behind a piece of furniture (if the unit was furnished). If AT&T decided you qualify for self-install, the unit should have already had service before, which means a jack should be present.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.