Need help connecting your router?
B

• 

3 Messages

Tue, Jul 6, 2021 6:23 PM

NID wiring with Cat5e

Due to remodel, needed to relocate my Data line coming in from the outside. Ran new Cat5e cable through attic down to NID on outside of house, how do I connect? It doesn't look like whats already in there. I dont have a voice line, Uverse internet only.

Existing line will be completely removed, do have one "phone line" running into basement that i would like to convert to data for future use, but it is not currently hooked up to the NID. Picture of outside box attached, thanks. 

my thoughts

Employee

• 

19.1K Messages

Il y a 1 a

Standard single pair cat5e wiring from NID to gateway would be using the BLUE pair, some older wiring used the GREEN pair as BLUE was considered for phone usage.

As have no phone just use the BLUE pair connecting same colors as used for the drop wiring (left side of protector).

• 

3 Messages

Il y a 1 a

The red and green line are the current line, so do I untwist the blue blue twisted line and connect it blue to blue and white to white? What do I do with all the other lines?

(edited)

Constructive

Employee

• 

27.9K Messages

Il y a 1 a

you can use any pair you want in the cat 5 blue blue white is the preferred color just for ease of identification

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

28.7K Messages

Il y a 1 a

The other 3 pair are unused.  You may need one of them later if you go dual pair.

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

15.6K Messages

Il y a 1 a

The customer interface isn't in that NID so technically  it isn't a Network Interface Devoice, the tab and slot to the right of the protector is where it goes, you shouldn't have to access the phone company side.  Have them come out and install the interface, shoddy work like that makes my head hurt.  As stated the White/Blue pair is the 1st pair, white/orange second, white/green 3rd so that leaves the white/brown as the 4th pair.  In the quad the red/green is pair one. 

(edited)

Constructive

Employee

• 

27.9K Messages

Il y a 1 a

@spoom2 i was wondering why the tech just didnt move the protector down a couple slots rather than bean a 3 inch length of wire to the existing IW

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

15.6K Messages

Il y a 1 a

@Constructive The red/green wire from the protector is what goes to the customer interface, it's part of the protector. 

Constructive

Employee

• 

27.9K Messages

Il y a 1 a

ah must be newer , when i was a prem tech they had push tabs that we pushed down and could inset the IW directly into it

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

15.6K Messages

Il y a 1 a

There's still tabs on the customer side. 

• 

3 Messages

Il y a 1 a

Thanks everyone. I am going to try hooking up wires and see if I can make this work, if not, hopefully ATT can send a tech and not charge me out the rear. 

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

28.7K Messages

Il y a 1 a

Personally, I was wondering why he switched the colors between the length coming from the protector and the quad wiring from the home.  

my thoughts

Employee

• 

19.1K Messages

Il y a 1 a

The more standard (traditional) protector with line mod...

Ruined siding from ATT install | AT&T Community Forums

A tech at some point removed the line mod which is connected with the green/red wiring from the protector... then the tech 3M scotchlok the wiring to the customer quad phone wiring.

The scotchloks are not switched... green and green (visible) in the front unit with the 2 reds in the back unit. 

https://youtu.be/JD8T4yrDaEY

edit... in the example picture above, the inside wiring should be placed on the last connection not the first... placing on the first is creating a bridge tap or a section extending beyond the signal travel path. 

(edited)

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

15.6K Messages

Il y a 1 a

Not understanding that last statement:

in the example picture above, the inside wiring should be placed on the last connection not the first... placing on the first is creating a bridge tap or a section extending beyond the signal travel path.

It doesn't matter which slot you use there is no difference in the potential in any of them.  Just like two parallel wires a couple inches long it wouldn't matter at what point you tapped into them.  

Here it is opened.  Don't pay any attention to the bottom set as they're for a different set up, just the top one is what we're talking about as far as how to connect.  The OP really needs to call in a trouble report on an improperly installed NID.  

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.