Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
fanofsaosin6682

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wed, Nov 20, 2013 2:28 PM

New internet service, no phone jack in apartment

I just recently switched to Uverse internet from comcast due to comcast getting too expensive.  i had a few questions.  My apartment currently doesn't have a phone jack in my apartment, i know my neighbors have uverse in their apartment.  Am i going to be charged to have a phone jack installed if so, can uverse internet be run through excisting coax cables that were used when i had comcast.  thank you for your time

Responses

aviewer

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

7 years ago

fanofsaosin6682 - You do need connect to an interface point. Att is responsible to get to that interface point. The customer is responsible for wiring beyond that point. Those wires should be cat3 or cat5.

In a house the interface point is a wired connection in a NID on the side of the house. A Multi-dwelling unit is a little more complicated. It could be the landlords responsibility to wire from the NID to your apartment. You need to find out where your interface point is & how it gets to your apartment. Expect to pay for any wiring/jacks in your apartment or have landlord pay.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

i choose the self install because i was told by a rep that a technician would be able to install a jack at no cost, i call a second time to reassure they tell me there might be a charge and it could be possibe to run the internet through a coax cable. im really starting to second guess my decision.  i even told them i would probably need the 100 tech install... and now its going to be 150..

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Were you able to solve this problem? We just got the self install package from U-verse but our apartment does not have a phone jack and I am not sure what to do to set-up the Internet. I don't want to go back to comcast 

Master

• 

6.9K Messages

7 years ago

@onlyvigi wrote:

Were you able to solve this problem? We just got the self install package from U-verse but our apartment does not have a phone jack and I am not sure what to do to set-up the Internet. I don't want to go back to comcast 

How did the building ever pass inspection?  Most states require at least one working phone jack

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Hi.

I need a dual phone/internet jack in a room that doesn't have one. I am okay paying the $99 or $149 charge if it can be done.

I had read somewhere that a tech will only install the jack, but not wire the cat5 cables to that jack. Is that true?

I have an appointment scheduled for a tech tomorrow but there is no point if they wont do the wiring. Because if I have to hire someone to come wire to the outside box or to the modem then I may as well have them do all of it.

Thanks

aviewer

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

6 years ago

norosn - It does not make sense to install a wall jack that cannot be connected.

I am interpreting that the statement that a tech would not wire the jack was becuase at& t will not commit to wall fishing because it can be difficult or impossible. I believe, if the connection can be wired on the surface - like along the top of the base board - Or if it can be wired with a simple hole drilled to open space - That is an easy wire run, it would be done as part of the charge you mention.

It comes down to exactly what your situation is like & how cooperative the tech is.

If you had it prewired by a private company would youy be able to do a self install? If a tech has to foll anyway, there would, most likely be the $99 charge.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

6 years ago

Dont know where you live at but here in California the landlord has to give there tenants one working jack.  Depending on how far you are from the SAI and how your apt is setup with inside wiring this can be a breeze or take some time. 

Most customer decide on the Customer Self instal thinking that this service is like the old DSL where the signal will travel without any interruptions from jack to jack. Then think that the DSL splitters will help to separate the signal from the phone. I have seen lots of instances where even customer without POTS have issues with there signal, as most apt and homes are daisy chained. This is where one cable feeds multiple jacks this is done to  save money by contractors. Uverse is best on a dedicated pair to the RG location. 

There is light at the end of the tunnel as Uverse can be feed on Coax. Sometimes there is issues with this as some Apt complex have both services on different sides of the Apt. For the most part I have not seen to many ppl get denied service for this. 

I personally like to make contact with the person getting the installation and make sure the signal is making to a jack. The technician has the option of turning the CSI into a FTI with the customers concent.  

Get started...

Ask a new question