For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help connecting your router?
C

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, July 7th, 2021 9:23 PM

Need internet

How can I get the company to make internet available in my area? Most people around my area have school aged kids and at home jobs where they need internet. It's cheaper and It's not available...it's not in the middle of no where... I don't understand! 

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

3 years ago

So what are they telling you when you try to place an order?  File an FCC complaint 

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

3 years ago

Which state? ATT offers hardwired internet in 90+ markets within select areas of 21 states. Need to be in one of the select markets where available.

Is ATT the ILEC for the area? The ILEC is the local incumbent that owns and controls the outside wiring. There are many different ILECS that each have their own territory. ATT has to be ILEC or they would have to be an overbuilder starting everything from scratch similar to what Google Fiber tried many years.

In my zip code there are (3) different ILECS, depending on your address determines which company can provide service... for our area the choices are ATT, CenturyLink or TDS. If do not like your provider choice you have to willing to move to a different address to change ILEC provider.

If ATT is the ILEC, they offer hardwired internet service to about 80% of all addresses using one of three different platforms... currently FTTN or Fiber To The Node with speeds of 100, 75, 50, 25 covering the largest number of addresses at around 24 million followed by ADSL2+ with best speed of 18 or less for about 19 million addresses. The smallest coverage is direct fiber that reached 15 million addresses over 5 year expansion (2016 to end 2020) with another 7 million to be added during the 2021-2022 build out cycle. FTTP has speeds up to internet 1000. 

For the 20% of addresses where not economical feasible to hardwire the choice will be cellular service with majority being HOMEBASE HOTPSOT while 1.1 million addresses in select areas of 18 states will have FIXED WIRELESS installed by DirecTv tech using an antenna system to provide service from the cell tower. 

To determine which ISPs service your area (zip code) 

They may or may not service a particular address. 

Satellite internet seems to offer the most coverage thru out the USA.

https://broadbandnow.com/

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.