For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help connecting your router?
JukeaWall's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, August 3rd, 2018 5:01 AM

My Xbox One won't connect to the internet. Says "Additional Authentication Needed."

I went through an Xbox support chat and they said to contact AT&T Support. I already tried resetting to factory defaults. I have the NVG589. The Xbox says that there's "Additional Authentication Needed, and to enter an alternate MAC address if I have one." I don't know where to proceed from here and I've scoured the internet looking for answers. Any help is welcome. 

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

6 years ago

This is a rather Microsoft Xbox One-specific message.  I would ask Microsoft what the meaning is.  If they can explain what the message means, then maybe we could help you.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I did contact Microsoft. Multiple times. They said to contact the ISP, which is you guys. I already did all the hard resetting, and the router troubleshooting, etc. 

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

6 years ago

Well, you're on the community forum.  I'm just a customer like yourself, not your ISP.  However, I'd bet many of the AT&T support reps will not know what Microsoft means by this message, so if Microsoft would be so kind as to explain what this message is intended to convey, then perhaps either this community or your ISP could help you.

Basically, as far as I'm concerned, this message is in Japanese, and I don't read Japanese.  If we could get Microsoft to explain it in English (standard networking terms), then maybe we'd be getting somewhere.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

oh I see. I thought this was an actual forum where the Support Reps could comment. I don't really know what to do then because Microsoft support keeps directing me back to AT&T Support. 

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

6 years ago

I understand that Microsoft isn't taking ownership of the problem.  However, please ask them, specifically, what should you ask the ISP to do to fix this message?  What kind of Authentication isn't happening?  A protocol name, anything really, for us to go on.  The message is Microsoft's, not AT&Ts', Microsoft should know what it means.  We don't.  If we can just get Microsoft to explain it, maybe we can help.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Enter the MAC address on the back of your router 👍👍😉

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Josh165, I have the same problem and this doesn't help. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.