Need help connecting your router?
K

New Member

 • 

2 Messages

Tuesday, February 16th, 2021 3:18 AM

Internet for the whole neighborhood

AT&T is available in 78% of my town. In my neighborhood there are well over 200 homes. We only get 1 internet service and that is Siddenlink. They have become absolutely horrible and I know so so many people would love another option. 

So who do I have to speak to, to get this set up? I can get a petition together and send that in as well. Now there is an ATT huge connector box in the front of the neighborhood. I was told by the tech that was working there one day that we were set up for internet and phone line, but when I called to get internet service I was told that it only had phone connectors, and she had no idea when internet will be available. That was about 2 years ago. 

Please let me know who I need to contact. Thank you.

Former Employee

 • 

22K Messages

3 years ago

Pics would be helpful... as well as zip code.

I suspect your town is more rural or semi rural, possibly your neighborhood box is for LEGACY DSL which is no longer offered, if the area was not upgraded to UVERSE based service (over 57 million addresses were, 33 million VDSL FTTN and 24 million ADSL2+) by end of December 2015, it was not going to be as Uverse copper services upgrades have ended. 

Since then (2016 to now) has been direct fiber FTTP which has reached over 14 million addresses with another 2 million expected to be added this year. That would bring the total fiber upgrades to over 16 million (about 25%) out of 60+ million hardwired connections within the 21 state footprint. 

It is also possible another telco ILEC covers a part of your zip code and your neighborhood... in my zip code ATT covers 90% of addresses with the other 10% being either CenturyLink or TDS services for telco. Our cable company choice for SE Wisconsin is Spectrum. 

New Member

 • 

2 Messages

3 years ago

The zip code is 77357. For TV we can get DirecTV, Dish or SuddenLink. Internet offered is SuddenLink, CenturyLink and ViaSat. We have an ATT hub at the front of the neighborhood, but every time I call the rep tells me it in only for telephone services. 

Former Employee

 • 

22K Messages

3 years ago

If CenturyLink provides internet, ATT would have to be an overbuilder, as the outside lines are owned / controlled by them. Not to say it would never happen, but as less than 20% of ATT addresses are currently direct fiber, the company should be expanding into areas they are responsible for instead of others area. 

CenturyLink does offer fiber service to select markets / areas, recommend you contact them if wish to upgrade your  neighborhood. 

In that zip code, ATT offers direct fiber to 3.5% of addresses while CenturyLink offers direct fiber to 4.8% of addresses. 

https://broadbandnow.com/Texas/New-Caney?zip=77357

edit...

Internet Access in New Caney Texas

The average download speed in New Caney is 102.25 Mbps. This is 11.3% slower than the average in Texas and 12.7% faster than the national average.

  • There are 14 internet providers in New Caney with 9 of those offering residential service.
  • New Caney is the 402nd most connected city in Texas ahead of Splendora, but behind HuffmanHumblePorter, and Kingwood.
  • Approximately 8,000 people in Montgomery County don't have access to any wired internet.
  • Fiber optic internet is available to 34% of Montgomery County residents.
  • Almost 92% of consumers in Texas have access to a wired connection with true broadband speeds faster than 25mbps.
  • 65% of residents in Montgomery County have access to fixed wireless internet service.
  • Approximately 93% of New Caney residents are serviced by multiple wired providers.
  • The average internet download speed in Texas is 115.25 mbps.
  • Explore internet access for communities within New Caney: Roman Forest
  • The fastest zip code in New Caney for January 2021 is 77357.

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.