Shop Now, Avoid Delays - Get Our Best Holiday Deals!
Need help connecting your router?
K

• 

4 Messages

Thu, Sep 24, 2020 1:29 PM

Fiber under a mile from me

How can I go about getting information about getting fiber pulled 0.8 miles from the nearest line to my home? There are 27 homes that could be serviced between me and the nearest fiber line but calling customer service leaves me frustrated and no more educated than before. I've called so many times only to be told there is nothing they can do for me. With work from home, budding small business, 2 kids doing schooling at home, and also our own entertainment needs we'd benefit greatly from having service pulled only 8/10 mile... 0.8... only 1,500 yards. Please give me more info than just the availability page that shows you can't service my home.

Constructive

Employee

• 

24.5K Messages

1 y ago

its not that easy to just pull a fiber  theres planning,engineering , permits to dig permits to install fiber connections. contractors to dig easements must be purchased from start to finish, not to mention a couple million dollars and 27 homes is hardly enough to make that financial burden.

dig permits can take anywhere from 6-24 months (im still waiting on one going on 2 1/2 years)

once permits are secured then expect another 6-8 months before completed and an additional 2 months before services are activated or sold.

but at&t is not expanding fiber right now.

• 

4 Messages

1 y ago

Wow, what a ray of sunshine. "Hey man you and your tiny amount of neighbors aren't enough for us, a huge company, to come down the road and help. Good luck, move back to town!" That's the crap I've been getting over and over. Nice to see that ATT employees respond with such helpful messages. Hoping someone else offers some real info or options. This isn't a cry for help to get me up to gigabit speeds, it's a plea for anything because right now they don't even want to hook me up to dsl at projected speeds of 6 mbps.

Constructive

Employee

• 

24.5K Messages

1 y ago

*SIGH*   im an at&t engineer and just giving facts its public knowledge at&t has halted fiber build outs. ive seen entire towns be overlooked at 30k plus residences because it wasnt financially responsible to recoup the money in a timely manner, its about how long it will take to break even and start making a profit  to be honest you cant guarantee all 27 houses would get the service. but lets say  all 27 get it how long would it take to recoup the 2-3 million dollar cost to build at 50-75 a month? FWI any employee in here is here on their own time off the clock and are not representing at&t in no official capacity

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

1 y ago

Ok. Millions to pull a mile. Cool. At that math it's not worth it to service anywhere but 300k+ populations. And the line I'm referring to under a mile away was put up this summer. I know they're advertising no new construction but they're still pulling cable everywhere. Hopefully another provider can come through for my area.

davemize

ACE - Professor

• 

3.6K Messages

1 y ago

It's possible that another provider may see the need there and fill it. The cable companies still seem to be pushing into existing residential areas. Check out https://broadbandnow.com/ and see what options are in your area. 

my thoughts

Employee

• 

18.3K Messages

1 y ago

If your willing to pay, consider ATT DEDICATED BUSINESS INTERNET... pricing starts at $550 a month for a 10/10 multi year contract or about $1080 a month for 100/100 connection. Does not include running the fiber, that is a separate bill at $5 to $10 a foot from the source of the fiber not the closest end user.

My estimate, if have $100k to spend over the next three years, you too could have fiber... your neighbors would each need to do the same as Dedicated Fiber is a 1:1 connection while ATT Residential Fiber deployed to over 14 million addresses is a 1:32 connection.

https://www.business.att.com/products/dedicated-internet/#/

• 

4 Messages

1 y ago

I’m willing to pay but I can’t afford another mortgage. $5-10/ft for an overhead line isn’t as scary at 1500 ft though. 

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.