Need help connecting your router?
brutus7's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thu, Aug 31, 2017 6:30 PM

Charge for service call

Week ago experienced a lightning storm that knocked out my ATT gateway, water heater ect. Several neighbors also lost equipment. I contacted ATT, they sent out a new gateway but the internet was still slow and dropping connections. I wondered about the service box at back of house making being damaged from the lighting. I asked for a tech to come out and look at the wiring outside of the house thinking that it was damaged from the lighting strike.

He did not see any burnt wire at the hookup box, he then says goodbye and leaves. Get a knock at the door and he has his ipad and wanted me to sign for a $100 dollar charge as he didn't find a burned wire or anything. Also, did NOT let me know about the charge up front only after he was finished, the repersentative on the phone did not mention the possible charge.

I am looking at other internet providers right now but was wondering if anyone else had experienced this kind of treatment from ATT?

I may have to pay the $100 after they send it over to collections but I will spread my story far and wide on the internet.

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

4 y ago

I would think it should have been $99, not $100 as specified in the Terms of Service in the "Transactional Fees" table for "Service Repair Dispatch Fee" when you asked them "... to dispatch a truck to repair your service." and the problem was not due to defective ATT equipment or cabling.

Yeah I know, no one ever reads the "fine print" (TOS in this case) but that's how they can get away with this sort of thing.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 y ago

I was told it the problem is not the customer's fault, then he/she should be charged. Please let me know where to

find their terms and agreement for this.

LInda

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 y ago

Ooop THE CUSTOMER SHOULD "NOT" BE CHARGED IF IT'S NOT HIS/HER FAULT,

Please let me know if you know where to find terms and conditions related to this matter...

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

26.6K Messages

3 y ago

Yep, if you ask AT&T to roll a truck to your home and there is no issue for which AT&T is responsible, then, yes there is a charge.  When you requested the truck roll, you should have been advised of this.  Strictly speaking, they could have charged you to replace your lightning-damaged Gateway as well.  You would then have to attempt to recover the cost from your homeowner's insurance.

See Section 7, paragraph b from the Terms of Service

You will be responsible for payment of service charges for visits by AT&T or its subcontractors to your premises when a service request results from causes not attributable to AT&T or its subcontractors,

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 y ago

Lightning strikes, like in my case? lol

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 y ago

and my solution was to move to Comcast internet, now I own my modem and wifi radio. Much happier.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.