Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!

• 

9 Messages

Sat, Mar 28, 2020 12:40 AM

Broadband Light Blinking Green/Red

I just received my new modem/wireless router (Arris BGW210), and I waited til after the specified activation time to install.

Problem: the Broadband light continues to blink Green for awhile, then blink Red for awhile, then repeats over and over.

Troubleshooting so far:

-I have checked my connection from modem to AT&T wall jack, and from the jack to the NID on the outside of my house.

-I have rebooted multiple times, both with the red button AND unplugging, waiting and plugging back in

-Checked for proper connection INSIDE the wall jack AND the NID

-Checked for service outages (None)

Please do tell me to contact customer or technical support, I have tried but I can’t get through to anyone because of this Covid-19 virus causing a shortage in personnel.

This is my last hope at this point

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

my thoughts

Employee

• 

15.3K Messages

2 months ago

Blinking GREEN / RED Broadband on 210 is a loose connection,

need to call to schedule a service appointment....

Solid RED broadband would be no connection detected.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

davemize

ACE - Professor

• 

2.3K Messages

2 months ago

You'll have to continue trying 800.288.2020, and be ready for long hold times. Sharply reduced call center staffing, technicians not available to work due to health or family issues, record-setting call volumes and a growing service backlog are causing difficulty in getting through to AT&T.

"Don't make me summon the flying monkeys...."

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

9 Messages

I will try calling again tomorrow. In the mean time, can anyone tell me if this looks correct? And the wires seem seated correctly?

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

7.1K Messages

Not sure why only one pair is terminated and can't see the jack size. It's right if that's where the feed is, but that's not a secure connection there should be a plastic cap that clips over the wires and snaps into place to hold them secure. Per my thoughts statement that could easily be a bad connection.

This is a user to user help forum. It is not an AT&T support site. I am not an AT&T employee, read the ACE's disclaimer at the bottom of this post

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
my thoughts

Employee

• 

15.3K Messages

Only one pair terminated as this is a single pair install.... blue, blue/white common connection for single pair. Bonded pair would also have the orange pair punched down of the opposite side.

The jack is an RJ45 (8 pin) used for ethernet connection but works with single pair which uses the middle two pins 4,5 of the jack. The data cable, green or white uses the middle two pins for single pair.

Ideally the wiring should be flush with the edge and pushed all the way down using a tool such as 110/66 punch down tool or the inexpensive 110 stripper hand tool.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Punch-Down-Blade/dp/B0072K1QHM

https://www.parts-express.com/utp-stripper-110-type-punch-down-tool--360-889?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6_vzBRCIARIsAOs54z5rYg2jFys0pewjotDdRVB2XIy3dC77nSYQypWvLv5rNCnm7NHZ9t8aAjftEALw_wcB

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

• 

9 Messages

@spoom2 @my thoughts you are correct, a friend of mine who works for another service provider explained how it’s done correctly over the phone. They are now properly stripped and seated at the bottom since I don’t have a punch tool. I also have the plastic cover, took it off for the picture.

New question, should the wires be stripped just a bit at the NID terminals? I’m kinda walking into these problems because whoever used to live here apparently tried some DIY and apparently failed

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

7.1K Messages

@ my thoughts How do you know it's a 8p8c jack? Just because it's a 4 pair termination doesn't determine the number of pins in the jack. Just curious. Also if it is an 8pin jack plugging a 4pin into it, although it will work, can cause connection problems, seen it many times.

(edited)

This is a user to user help forum. It is not an AT&T support site. I am not an AT&T employee, read the ACE's disclaimer at the bottom of this post

• 

9 Messages

@spoom2 I believe he is correct, looks like an RJ45 Keystone to me, standard DSL jack from AT&T several years back utilizing their green phone cable to connect the the modem

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

7.1K Messages

@RightRyan Depends on the type NID, it they have a push down tab than no, just make sure it's pushed clear down. For your jack they don't have to be stripped either, if you have the tool. Some of the caps push them in correctly too, just have to really push.

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

7.1K Messages

@spoom2 I believe he is correct, looks like an RJ45 Keystone to me, standard DSL jack from AT&T several years back utilizing their green phone cable to connect the the modem

Could be, just wondered how he could tell by the picture. If there's more than 6pins it's an 8pin jack.

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

7.1K Messages

OK I'm old and I blew the picture up, I know why now I can see the A/B. Personally I'd replace it with a 4 or 6 pin jack to insure a good connection.

(edited)

• 

9 Messages

@spoom2 haha they say Covid-19 can cause blurry vision too 👀

But on a serious note, here’s a picture of what my NID looks like as far as the push down tabs go. Mine only has one set like this one:

due to a phone line never being set up here, internet only

my thoughts

Employee

• 

15.3K Messages

https://www.newark.com/gc-electronics/45-5019-bu/cat3-cat4-idc-modular-jack-1-port/dp/28K6365 type of traditional phone jack would expect on DSL connection... still using 110 tool.

For the NID, customer side looks good, will suspect the telco side is a gel protector, using the green line in from NID with blue pair at jack, means you have a splice point somewhere in the home....

While I would not expect an issue with the protector on telco side... possible issue may be with the drop, damage to drop from squirrels if aerial or field mice in serving terminal if buried. or anywhere along the outside plant back to the source crossbox including jumper at the crossbox or flakey port requiring port swap....

Loose connection can be many different things, the tech will have a JDSU that can test the line and help with a distance problem. If the outside plant is bad will repuire either a pair change if spare available and tests good or creating a ticket for an outside CIM tech to repair the line.

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

7.1K Messages

Bottom line, if you can't pull the wires out with slight pressure, they're good. If there isn't a splice somewhere than you'd have to terminate the w/green pair where the w/blue pair is now terminated.

(edited)

• 

9 Messages

@my thoughts @spoom2

I should have specified more, that’s not my box, just a picture of what it looks like. My box has Blue/White being used, same as the Blue/White in my jack. I’ve noticed online that AT&T normally uses Green/White but again, it seems that the previous owners tried a little DIY with the wiring, among other wiring in the house that I’ve already corrected. Electrical is my area of expertise, not networking cable by any means.

Should the wires connecting to the NID be stripped before flipping the tab over? Or just freshly cut?

As of now, Solid Blue goes to the R terminal and Blue/White goes to the T terminal

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

7.1K Messages

OK, no they don't need stripped and they are terminated correctly. R=Ring T=Tip

• 

9 Messages

@spoom2

Here is the new wiring on the wall jack. Look correct?

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

7.1K Messages

Yes and it looks like they're pushed into the connector teeth. I'm assuming you're still not working. Can you take the modem outside to the NID and find a power source and plug it directly into the NID?

• 

9 Messages

@spoom2

Correct, still blinking Green/Red. Yea I’ll try that here in a few, wasnt sure if that would work with the modem because I only saw people talking about plugging a phone in to test

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

7.1K Messages

Phone only if it's phone service, depends on what service is feeding it.

• 

9 Messages

@my thoughts @spoom2

SOLVED:

Because I ordered 100mbps vs. the standard 25mbps or less, both the Blue/White pair AND Orange/White pair needed to be connected. HOWEVER if you notice in my second picture of my NID, the Orange/White pair go into the part of the NID that is only serviceable by AT&T (well, unless you have an rounded inverted torx bit). Got an old friend of mine from school who now works for AT&T to help me out. Thank you both for your help and guidance!

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

7.1K Messages

Glad you got it going. Must have had a lazy tech to do it that way. EDIT: To add, if there hadn't been 4wire service at your location before there should have been a tech visit to get you going, so they screwed up on a couple things.

(edited)