Need help connecting your router?
Maconishma's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Mon, Mar 19, 2018 7:59 PM

Bonded pair install

Hello,

I have a DSL Internet package (45Mbps Down, 5Mbps Up). 

Recently we had water damage and had to remove all the splicing in our media box and replaced our wall jacks.

I attempted to reconnect the demarcation cat5e cables based on what was originally wired (I saved images).

The wiring was OWO and GWG coming from Demarc, spliced into the cable running to our office wall jack.

Upon reconnecting I cannot get a proper connection to my modem, the phone will connect occasionally and the broadband will work but eventually lose connection.

Any reference on how to properly wire the wall jacks/demarc would be fantastic as I cannot find any online.

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

192kHz

Employee

• 

540 Messages

5 years ago

How did you reconnect the wires in the media box? Twisting copper together works fine for phone but for internet you'll want to use beanies;

18120-1

They have gel inside and when you have both sides within you crimp it down with pliers. 

For the jack in the office. The modem will look for the pairs to be punched down on the Blue and Orange slots on the rj45 punch down.

What is the modem doing? Does only one broadband light turn green and the other always red?

Also interesting about the phone working without the internet, do you have POTS and not VoIP?

Edit: I was assuming by "media box" you're referring to a junction point inside the house where all the wires meet up. If you're talking about the NID (box outside) you may need a technician if the modules inside are damaged, etc.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you for the information, I ended up messing with the jack a bit more and eventually figured it out by process of elimination. I did temporarily twist the copper and got it to work but am planning on buying beanies but had not yet. Everything is now restored so I am quite pleased, thanks for the reply once again.

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

16.9K Messages

5 years ago

The connector picture is a scotch lock, a bean or beanie is a different connector.  I'm pretty sure you can get scotch locks at hardware stores, I always got them at communications supply distributors, but I needed more than a few.  The one pictured is the one you want, different colors are for different functions and gauges of wire.  There is a special crimping tool, but a pair of  pliers opened for the larger nut will crimp them square, you want a square crimp or you'll get a bad connection.  

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

16.9K Messages

5 years ago

FYI this is a B wire connector or bean/beanie

21hPOeT5fqL.jpg

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.