Need help connecting your router?
A

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, January 6th, 2021 2:10 PM

ATT already installed in my yard.

Hello, I live at [EDITED] Mountain Road in Farmington, Mo 63640.  The previous address before building our new house was [EDITED] Hwy D, Farmington, Mo, 63640.  That was 7 years ago.  

About 5 or 6 years ago, I came home from work and found 2 guys digging up my front yard.  I asked what they were doing and they said installing ATT fiber optic cable.  Great!  I really want high speed internet!  I even have an ATT box in my yard with my house number on it.  

However, ever since then, when I call to purchase the service, I am told it is not available where I live.  All 6 houses on our road have crappy satellite internet, why can't we get ATT internet?  The cable and boxes are installed.  

We would like High Speed internet.  Can you help?   If not, what is this box in my yard for?

[EDITED per Community Guidelines - removed personal information]

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Here is the box in my yard.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

3 years ago

most likely not residential fiber possibly for a cell tower, emergency services, school etc.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

3 years ago

Post from

AT__TExpert70

Is a phishing attempt. The phone number in his post is not AT&T, it is fraud do not respond using that number. 

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

How do I find out?

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

3 years ago

5 or 6 years ago? 2014 or 2015? May have been copper to the home from a fiber fed VRAD... this type of service is called FTTN or Fiber To The Node. Standard UVERSE deployment of ADSL2+ or VDSL as part of PROJECT VIP was going on from 2013 to end of 2015. 

However your statement of all 6 houses on the road have satellite service suggests your rural, semi rural with low population density... not likely to receive UVERSE service. From a November 2012 company statement, 33 million addresses were to be FTTN VDSL, another 24 million to be ADSL2+ by end of 2015. For remaining 19 million addresses (about 25% of all addresses at that time) would not receive UVERSE hardwired service but would be cellular 4G LTE using a HOMEBASE aka HOTSPOT service.  This is likely your area, if this is accurate would suggest the connection in front yard is simply a splice case connecting 2 cables as the path continues to the intended area. 

Without seeing what is under the cover anything would just be a guess. 

https://broadbandtrends.wordpress.com/2012/11/07/att-details-its-14-billion-project-velocity-ip-vip/

As such, AT&T will invest $6 Billion to expand U-verse to an additional 8.5 million locations, bringing the total to 33 million that can receive the U-verse bundle of voice, video and data by the end of 2015.

In addition, they will upgrade (currently in the process and likely to be completed end of 2012) ATM DSLAMs serving 24 million locations to IP-DSLAM.

According to AT&T, broadband market share is growing in U-verse markets, versus non U-verse markets where DSL declines are prevalent.

There remains a portion of the market that will not be upgraded – in these markets, AT&T will offer its LTE product to offer faster broadband speeds.

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

How do I find out for sure?

ACE - Professor

• 

3.7K Messages

3 years ago

Check https://www.att.com/availability/. This will show you what's available at your address.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.