Need help connecting your router?
TZRick's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, June 10th, 2018 3:59 PM

5268AC DSL modem Broadband 2 now flashing red when using surge protector...has something changed?

Hi everyone,

I understand the surge protector isn't an absolute necessity, but I figured for a few bucks (and since the Tel In/Out comes bundled anyway on many devices), it might be worth it to add a little extra protection.

Since maybe August 2017 I've been using a Belkin CSP100TW single-pole plus Tel device to protect my DSL line.  About two months ago, all of a sudden, the Broadband 2 light started flashing red.  The internet connection still worked fine.  General seat-of-the-pants feel was that everything was normal.  I just used the Ookla speedtest and got 40ms ping, 48Mpbs down and 11.7 Mpbs down (I have the 50Mbps plan).

I've rebooted the modem multiple times and the behavior is the same.  I can plug-in directly to the wall jack and it works fine with all Broadband/Service lights solid.  But I tried the Belkin and also an APC P8VT3 device, and I can't get either to work without the red flashing Broadband 2 light.

Did something change somewhere to cause this issue?  Any ideas as to what is happening?

Thanks.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for responding so quickly!  I only have one green cable I received from AT&T that connects to the wall jack.  That green cable, when plugged directly into the modem, allows both broadband lights to be solid green.  However, when I plug the green cable into the surge protector, and use another cable to connect to the modem, the Broadband 2 light blinks red.  The http://192.168.1.254/ page (Settings >> Broadband) shows Line 2 statuses as zeroes, whereas Line 1 shows figures.

And yes, I did replace the green cable with the white cable at one point.  When directly plugged-in, both Broadband lights are solid green.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Okay, sorry.  It's been a while since I checked the white line directly-connected and I'm pretty sure it connected fine when I first tested.  In any case, I just swapped them for the heck of it and lo and behold, the broadband 2 light is still flashing red, even though the white cable is directly plugged-in to the wall.

So it looks like the white cable is the issue and not necessarily the surge protectors.  I will try a new line and see if that works.

Question:  is there anything special about the green line (has "CAT5e" written on it) that AT&T provides that is different from a "regular" phone line?

Thanks again!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.