Check out AT&T's Valentine's Day Gift Guide for ideas & deals on the new Samsung Galaxy S23!
Need help connecting your router?
fk0016's profile

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, November 9th, 2022 6:02 PM

1 mile stretch of road where internet not available

My address is only eligible for (terrible, expensive) satellite internet at this moment. However, addresses less than a half mile away have AT&T fiber service. I spoke with a staff member at my local AT&T corporate office and was told that it didn’t ‘make financial sense’ for the company to install the infrastructure (ports for service) needed for this mile stretch of road to gain service. On a ‘L’ shaped road the houses at the top and bottom are eligible and not in the middle. 

Is my only recourse trying to get the county to subsidize the installation? That was suggested, but it just blows my mind that if my house was less than a half mile to either direction I would most likely be eligible for service. 

my thoughts

Employee

• 

20K Messages

3 months ago

Fiber could be across the street and not available to you.

Population density (housing units) is a major factor, in November 2012 the then president of ATT stated 75% of addresses would be Uverse platform (57 million) while the remaining 25% would be serviced by 4G LTE.

Since then the numbers have shifted to 80% hardwired coverage with 20% cellular… or out if estimated 75 million, 60 million will have hardwired with 50% (30 million) having direct fiber the other 30 million having xDSL service. This leaves 15 million on cellular connection option for ATT. Other companies may service your address with cellular option known as fixed wireless.

Your zip code?

• 

2 Messages

3 months ago

My zipcode is 35811. 

I have called all major internet providers in my area and there is nothing available to my address besides two satellite companies and possibly getting a hotspot from our cellular provider. 

my thoughts

Employee

• 

20K Messages

3 months ago

https://broadbandnow.com/Alabama/Huntsville?zip=35811

Google fiber is available to 92% in comparison to all of ATT hardwired services (fiber, xDSL) is only 75%

The two cable companies offer total 90% coverage.

4.8% of consumers in Huntsville

9,000 People

Only have access to 1 or fewer wired internet providers available at their address.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.