For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
S

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, May 26th, 2021 1:33 AM

Wireless Broadband AWB 100mbps Upload Speed Limitations

I have the  Broadband Wireless AWB 100Mbps LTE with BFT Plan.  I fully understand it's *up to* stated speeds of 100mbps.  AT&T tells me this is a symmetrical line, that the download AND upload is potentially 100mbps.  My speed tests show fairly consistent download between 80-100mbps which is good.

Upload is rarely more than 30mbps.  Day or night.  Signal strength is excellent.  Device used is Netgear Nighhawk Mobile LTE (MR1100), going direct ethernet cable to the desktop for benchmark testing.  The device easily supports upload speeds up 150mbps so the hardware is not an issue. 

This is a business line and I don't know why service providers only really pay attention to download speeds.  Upload is more important for my business to function. 

Can I prioritize the upload speed with my current plan?  Why does upload speed vary so much, averaging 1/3 of the potential speed, when download regularly reaches 80-100% of the potential speed?  If it's a network traffic issue, wouldn't they be affected equally?  Regardless, this is a real problem for the internet to be viable to me.  I am not feeling optimistic this internet plan will work for me, especially after trying AT&T phone support.  There should be a way to escalate beyond the first level of customer service to an engineer or technician who can at least provide insight to the speed limitations, or better yet, provide a solution.

I may have to resort back to radio WISP services which can also hit 30mbps for less cost but I really want the broadband wireless to work and upload to hit as close to 100mbps as possible.      

Thank you for any help that anyone can provide.  

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

3 years ago

This is cellular service, should be in the WIRELESS forum

Depending on your connection upload should be less than 30, not same down/up using 5G service.

https://about.att.com/sites/broadband/performance

Technology Download Range (in Mbps) Upload Range (in Mbps)
3G/4G (HSPA/HSPA+) 2.3 – 7.0 0.4 – 1.3
4G LTE 14.8 – 64.8 2.9 – 12.9
5G 46.2 – 140.4 6.6 – 23.1

EDIT... if looking for high upload need ATT FIBER, may want to look at DEDICATED BUSINESS FIBER, you pay to have the fiber brought in, multi year agreement, internet 100/100 should be about $1080 per month.

Have $100k to spend over 3 years, this is the product... faster speeds available at higher pricing levels.

https://www.business.att.com/products/att-dedicated-internet.html

(edited)

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

3 years ago

5G+ using mmwave, short distance to tower or small cell would have higher upload.

Expect to find 5G+ is crowded areas like large cities, not more rural settings. 

an example on cellular 5G+ down over 900 up over 100... still not the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CtQm9dBCFQ

or over 1600 down in Los Angeles using multiple sites

upload still in the hundreds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CtQm9dBCFQ

Thus the device Netgear Nighthawk is not the issue, it is that your on 5G not 5G+.

AT&T 5G+ Cities and Coverage

AT&T 5G+ Cities and Coverage

AT&T 5G+ is currently available in select parts of the following locations:
  • AZ: Phoenix
  • CA: Los Angeles, Menlo Park, Oakland, Redwood City, San Bruno, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, West Hollywood\
  • FL: Jacksonville, Miami, Miami Gardens, Orlando
  • GA: Atlanta
  • IN: Indianapolis
  • KY: Louisville
  • LA: New Orleans
  • MD: Baltimore, Ocean City
  • MI: Detroit
  • NC: Charlotte, Raleigh
  • NV: Las Vegas
  • NY: New York City
  • OH: Cleveland
  • OK: Oklahoma City
  • PA: King of Prussia, Philadelphia
  • TN: Nashville
  • TX: Austin, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Waco
  • WI: Milwaukee

edit... quoted $600 per month.... dedicated business fiber for 10/10 connection is $550 per month. $1080 area for 100/100, around $2200 for 1000/1000 service.

(edited)

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I saw those specs and I think the performance specs on https://about.att.com/sites/broadband/performance are inconsistent with what I'm told to have signed up for.  According to AT&T from "AT&T National Business", as well as customer serviced linked to 800-331-0500, it should be max potential 100mbps up.  This is nearly 7x the median upload range posted for 5G, and 8x to 4G LTE according to that reference.  If that is untrue, I will need to reevaluate what this account is supposed to do.  It's for business, should not be used for streaming, yet has minimal upload. 

So is wireless broadband symmetric or asymmetric?

I'd love to have fiber but this location is too remote.  I was quoted closer to $600/month but that is moot now.  Broadband wireless seemed to be the best choice for speed out here.  The radio WISP offered locally isn't bad either but just not keeping up with 2021 speed demands from everyone else who does have fiber in the city. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.