Need help with your equipment?
vsimmons's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, September 7th, 2016 8:55 PM

U-Verse Regular vs. Guest Wireless

I'm running into an issue where things have been acting flaky and I've had to switch from using the default/regular wireless network to the _guest network for anything to work right.  Now, I've got the issue where some devices are working okay on one and some on the other, so I've got my devices on divided networks.  

For example, on my Alienware laptop Dropbox started (seemingly out of the blue) giving me an error about "Can't establish secure internet connection".  After removing all additional firewall software, turning off Windows firewalls and then going to the point of restoring my computer completely removing any third party software (none of which fixed the issue), I somehow stumbled on the fact that if I switched to the _guest wireless network, Bingo!  Dropbox works.  Except my wireless printer is on the other network, so now I can't print from this laptop without switching back to the other network (and then breaking Dropbox again).  I don't feel comfortable moving everything on my network over to the _guest network because I don't think I should have to do that (the other network should work just fine) and I'd like to leave _guest for just that - guests!

I looked at the settings on my router and I didn't change anything from the default except to set my own password for the _guest network.  Other than that, everything is exactly how AT&T installed it in my home.  For the life of me, I can't think of what would possibly cause Dropbox to work on the _guest network but not the default one.  Anyone know of any settings I might check?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

By the way, I found and tried the suggestion about disabling IPv6 and the problem remains.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

My first suggestion would be to power cycle the AT&T provided gateway/router. Then try to connect everything to your default WiFi network.

I recommend running only secure WiFi connections if you aren't already.

Advise. Should you continue to have this issue please provide the make and model of your AT&T provided gateway/router as well as what the settings are for your WiFi connections on that device. No passwords please.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

7 years ago

Disable the guest network and the 5.0 network. See how that works.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.