Need help with your equipment?
Wallaby32's profile

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

Friday, January 16th, 2015 8:53 PM

U-verse Internet Questions

So, I have had Time Warner Cable Internet for a few years and am paying a little bit too much for just internet (I already have U-Verse TV through AT&T). So, I decided to go ahead and bundle AT&T internet with my U200 TV.

I have a couple Questions:

• in my area the fastest speed internet offered was the 45Mbps down/6Mbps up. Now, Are these speeds going to be shared amongst my U-verse IPTV and my U-verse Internet? or are they seperate?

• Also, I have a pretty good Asus router I bought about 4 months ago, I have DD-wrt on it and all the wifi settings tweaked for optimal speeds, can I use this with AT&T uverse Internet? from what I have read, I will just need to disable the Wireless on the Modem/router combo AT&T provides and set my router to AP Bridge mode?

I'm not sure about all of this, if you guys could help me out in anyway so I'm not feeling scared about my decision to drop my Time Warner Cable Internet.

Also, how stable are the Internet speeds? Like, during peak hours is my service going to dip down to 30Mbps? (this is not due to wireless interference, i'm talking about too much load on the AT&T node)

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

@Wallaby32 wrote:

So, I have had Time Warner Cable Internet for a few years and am paying a little bit too much for just internet (I already have U-Verse TV through AT&T). So, I decided to go ahead and bundle AT&T internet with my U200 TV.

I have a couple Questions:

• in my area the fastest speed internet offered was the 45Mbps down/6Mbps up. Now, Are these speeds going to be shared amongst my U-verse IPTV and my U-verse Internet? or are they seperate?

• Also, I have a pretty good Asus router I bought about 4 months ago, I have DD-wrt on it and all the wifi settings tweaked for optimal speeds, can I use this with AT&T uverse Internet? from what I have read, I will just need to disable the Wireless on the Modem/router combo AT&T provides and set my router to AP Bridge mode?

I'm not sure about all of this, if you guys could help me out in anyway so I'm not feeling scared about my decision to drop my Time Warner Cable Internet.

Also, how stable are the Internet speeds? Like, during peak hours is my service going to dip down to 30Mbps? (this is not due to wireless interference, i'm talking about too much load on the AT&T node)

You have a connection profile rate between your RG (Residential Gateway) and the neighborhood VRAD.  That rate has to carry all your services.  However, that connection rate is typically more than your services need.  For example: If you get Power HSI installed (at 45 Mbps), you will get a 55 Mbps profile.  From that will come your U-verse TV (first priority) and your U-verse HSI.  Each HD channel you watch/record will use approximately 6 Mbps of the bandwidth.  So... if you watch all SD, no impact.  If you watch/record 4 HD streams, significant impact while watching/recording them.  So, worse case 55-24 = 31.

U-verse speeds are extremely stable, in my experience.  They are usually over-provisioned so that (when not watching enough TV to matter), you may actually get 48-49 Mbps down.  Your lines to the VRAD are not shared.  There's a pretty big fiber pipe from the CO to your VRAD, I don't think you'll notice your neighbor's Internet use (except for WiFi interference, as applicable).

You can keep your ASUS router and use it either of two ways: (1) as an Access Point (as you describe), (2) As an Access Point with the same credentials as the RG for more coverage, or (3) as a Wireless Router (which may provide you with router functionality the RG doesn't have).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.