Need help with your equipment?
hgschmie's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Tuesday, June 25th, 2013 2:58 PM

UVerse and IPv6 Tunneling with 3800 HGV-B

Hi,

I ran an IPv6 tunnel from Hurricane Electric (he.net) for a while with my U-verse account and a 3800 HGV-B. The latest software upgrade (6.9.1.42-plus.tm) seem to block IP protocol 41, and I no longer see traffic from he.net coming into the gateway (and no encapsulated IPv6 packets going out). 

Is there a way to turn off that block? Or get a software version that does not block protocol 41?

Thanks,

Henning

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Requiring someone to pay more to fix a problem introduced by a change on your side isn't exactly what most people would consider a solution.  If it's a firmware bug, fine.  Bugs happen.  Give us some hope that there's a fix in QA for deployment.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

They should not of offered me the 589 in the first place then. Also looking at another forum, kind of looks like the 3801 has the same problem, so sending me someting that has the same issue is not going to have much effect. If they want to roll the 3800 firmware back to something that works, I'll be happy with that too, but that does not seem to be possible, and was already told I can get a 589. Having to pay more to upgrade to 45mb like the OP did to basically get my full service restored is not really a good solution.

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

This isn't really a solution for those still with 3800 routers or wanting to stick to their existing plans.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I was in the same boat as everyone here. 3800 gateway, 6.9 firmware and no more IPv6 tunnel through HE. i talked to AT&T support and they confirmed the 3800 doesnt support it. I stewed over it and decided to follow OP's lead, I requested the new 45Mbit connection. a 5 hour service call later, I now have the motorola gateway and my IPv6 capability is back. this shouldnt cost me much of anything because I can now call and downgrade back to my 18Mbit connection. i might be charged a little for the prorated use of 45Mbit but there were no other charges for the upgrade.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

They sent a tech out today, and he replaced the 3800 with a NVG589,native IPv6 is not enabled on it, but my tunnel is back in working order.

Mentor

• 

57 Messages

11 years ago

It may not be a deliberate, but my 3800 blocks protocol 41 not only for packets addressed to the box's own IP address, but also to any address in the separate /29 block for which I pay extra.

This is the last straw; I've ordered Time Warner (which at 5/50 is now faster than Uverse at 3/24) and will dump U-verse when I have everything reconfigured.

Yet another promising technology ruined by corporate incompetence. What happened to AT&T, anyway? They once knew what they were doing.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

That is what upset me the most is it was blocked for my /29, I'm paying for, I mainlhy have the /29 so I could run a couple tunnels, At least I'm fixed up, but had to waste a lot of time, sad to say it would of been a lot easier to call TWC or WOW then to deal with the garbage CS put me through.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

As a heads up, the accepted solution only works for installations that are capable of bonded pairs. According to the tech that was supposed to come out yesterday and swap out my 3800 for a Motorola, there is some nonsense corporate mandate that only Motorola modems can only be used for bonded installs.

In my case, I have fiber to the house, which is great - except now I can't get the router that would actually fix this.

Tech is supposed to get back with me later this week, so I am waiting to see if he does before I go nuts.

If I can't get an accepted solution, I'm going to have to start shopping around. Fiber to the house has soo much potential but not if it's being provided by an incompetent company.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

You're missing the point, which is been the entire problem. IPv6 WAS working for many of us via an IPv6 tunnel which we now can't use because the 3800 firmware blocks the ability to do so. I can't get ATT's 6rd working now, and even if I could it does not offer the features I need that I can get via a 6in4 (specifically HE's) tunnel. As noted in this forum thread, it is likely a bug that should be easy to fix if ATT would acknowledge this and work with 2wire and your customers to arrive at a solution.

You have the opportunity to do something truly great for your customers and to help improve your customer service at large. Instead ATT is giving paying customers the run-around with lack of knowledge, lack of escalations, and a deplorable attempt at an up-sell with this ConnecTech nonsense that anyone who is half competent with the problem will know they can't fix. Let me be clear: calling my recent experiences with ATT merely bad would be a compliment and ATT should be ashamed.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

I showed the tech they sent out all the threads of people complaining about the broken tunnels, and the tech then and went ahead and replaced my 3800 with a NVG589. He also stated that I was the first non-pair bonded install that he has used the 589 for. I would of been happy to have my firmware rolled back on the 3800, but I could not seem to get anyone to consider doing that. I'm happy they at the end fixed me up, but they started out breaking the tunnels in the 3801 in Auguest, but decided they really do not care about anyone that is tunneling, and pushed the same break out to everyone on the 3800, and then decided that fighting and agruing with paying customers about fixing an issue they caused is better then trying to actually solve the issue is just totally unprofessional, and disappointing.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.