Need help with your equipment?
golffanatic16's profile

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

Wednesday, January 6th, 2016 1:15 AM

Using a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 Router with a Pace 5268AC Gateway

I'm having trouble configuring my Netgear router with my Pace gateway. I want to use two Xbox Ones at the same time, but I can't because both consoles have strict NAT. I've tried port triggering, DMZ filtering and enabling UPnp on the Netgear router. This still hasn't fixed the problem. AT&T tech support and Netgear Support can't help me. I think I have to change the IP settings on my Netgear router, but I don't know how to do it. Do I need to change settings on the Pace gateway as well? Could someone please help me with this issue? 

ACE - Expert

• 

34.4K Messages

8 years ago

Again, that depends.

• If your wireless connection is dropping, then that's the problem that needs fixing; changing your DNS server isn't going to help, you need to get the connection more stable.
  • If the connection between your U-verse Gateway and the upstream U-verse Equipment (at the VRAD) is what's dropping, then changing the DNS server won't help and correcting the connection issue needs to be the focus.
  • If the issue is that the AT&T DNS server is overworked or its network is congested, then changing your DNS settings on your PC may help.

Watching to see if your Wireless Connection is dropping and checking your gateway's error counts at http://192.168.1.254/ (on the Broadband tab) will help you determine if those are the problem.

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

8 years ago

What specific stats am I looking for on the Broadband tab?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.4K Messages

8 years ago

Specifically the table(s) that show the:

• sync rates
  • attenuation
  • SNR
  • error counts

If you take a screenshot of these and post it in a reply, I can take a look and tell you what they say.  Avoid (or mask/block) uniquely identifying information (such as your Gateway's MAC address and the public IP address you've been assigned) to keep the moderators from having to delete it before I can see it.

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

8 years ago

Ok. Here are the pictures of the stats from my gateway. 20160107_165953.jpg20160107_170024.jpg

2 Attachments

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

8 years ago

Hey @JefferMC,

What do the stats of my gateway mean? I found a solution to the DNS error, but I experience slow loading speeds from time to time.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.4K Messages

8 years ago

Your stats say that you have a 25/2 Mbps profile.  Which means maximum rate for all your U-verse services combined in is 25 Mbps into the home and 2 Mbps out. 

Your error counts look reasonable for being collected for 18 hours.  Your FEC rate (Corrected Blocks per time) is approximately 39 per minute, much fewer than the 100 level which is considered the threshold to unacceptably high.  You had a few hard errors, but those seem to be hours apart (over 3 hours since last time).  I momentary "freeze" would be expected as those occurs, but it should be over in a few seconds (about 2 from the cumulative seconds with errors counter).

Sometimes your Ineternet service will slow down for a variety of reasons.  Slow host.  Slow DNS.  Slow browser.  Network congestion near the host.  Network congestion in the peering connection.  Bad routing between the host and your ISP.  Inappropriate host chosen (too far away, network wise).  DoS attack (some people have nothing better to do).

Your line appears to be able to handle a max signaling rate of 50 Mbps, which means that theoretically you could increase your High Speed Internet tier to 24 Mbps and get a 32 Mbps / 5 Mbps communications profile.  However, your FEC rate tells me that's not a good idea as your line now sits.  A tech would either need to get you bonded pair or figure out what's causing the FECs and the occasional hard errors and git rid of that cause; right now it's at nuisance level, with a higher signalling rate, it could be service affecting. Tech would have to come out regardless to raise the connection profile.

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

8 years ago

Wow! Thanks for the detailed explanation. I would've never gotten that from AT&T Support.

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

8 years ago

Hey @ATTU-verseCare,

Are your technical repairmen qualified to assist with reconfiguring the gateway to fix the slow internet connection?

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

8 years ago

Hey @ATTU-verseCare,

Can you help me with my internet problems? I pay for 25mbps, but I don't receive those speeds consistently. Everyday, I have internet speed issues. Customer service won't help me. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.