Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
P

• 

4 Messages

Sat, Apr 4, 2020 10:31 PM

Throttling

So I have the 1000MBPS internet package and my download speeds are anywhere from 1/3 to 1/10 of that speed. It usuallly gets worse in the later afternon/evenings. Yes, I've reset my router countless times, port forwarded and looked at every optimization tool around. It can't be the router because it outputs speeds close to 1000 at times but of course doesn't when I need it to. All evidence points to throttling on ATT's end probably to save bandwith. Any insight form anyone or from ATT?

Responses

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.9K Messages

3 months ago

Your package probably says "up to 1000Mbps", which is not a guarantee that you will always get 1000Mbps. And with multiple connections in the neighborhood the speeds will fluctuate and drop off as more people login in the afternoon/evenings. As far as throttling goes, a lot of ISP's may start to do that given CV-19 and the stay-at-home directives to better handle the increased load.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

1 Message

Here's a thought. Don't oversubscribe your lines so much that you can't handle demand for what you're selling to customers! It's an incredibly scummy business practice.

The loss in bandwidth is one thing, but I'm paying for a Gigabit fiber connection and at worst getting as high as 1000ms latency and around 10 Mbps bandwidth every evening for over a week. I can literally get better latency from a satellite connection. This is unacceptable. Furthermore, because your "self-test" shows no problems, I can't even report the problem in to support. Not that reporting the problem into support would do any good because their only recourse is to send a technician out for something that is clearly a carrier network issue, thus unnecessarily exposing a technician to potential infection risk because: A) AT&T failed to secure upstream bandwidth to support demand, or B) AT&T has failed to adequately maintain their own infrastructure.

I understand that the current situation is putting strain on ISPs, but the level of failure on this is unacceptable and I'm not going to pretend like the business decisions to unnecessarily oversubscribe infrastructure BEFORE the outbreak is not the (Edited per community guidelines) cause. Do right by your customers and upgrade infrastructure to support the new load, instead of throttling everyone to (Edited per community guidelines)!

EDIT: Just noticed that the guy I'm replying to doesn't work for AT&T, but the message is indeed aimed at AT&T.

(edited)

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.9K Messages

@tarpleyjim keep in mind that this is a customer help forum. We are just customers trying to help other customers. Support rarely reads these posts or responds to public postings. What you describe is probably practiced industy-wide, not just AT&T.

FWIW, I only have AT&T's cellular service and use another ISP for internet.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

4 Messages

3 months ago

Sitting at 70MBPS right now. Online gaming is virtually impossible. I understand that getting 1000 24/7 isn't realistic but basic gaming is fairly a reasonable ask. Our IT infrastructure needs dire help.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.9K Messages

@phil7488 streaming movies is where the money is at, not gaming. 70Mbps sustained is plenty for streaming 4k HDR. However, you should be getting a lot more than that on a 1Gig connection, but given the current situation, be thankful for 70Mbps, or consider changing carriers once things get back to what ever will become normal.

• 

3 Messages

a month ago

@phil7488 has this resolved for you at all? I just posted a similar question. I can't get more than 18 mbps on a 1000mbps package. I am literally sitting right next to the gateway router and it's sitting there at 18mbps, morning, noon and night. I have three days before my billing cycle resets and I wonder if they are throttling people at the end of their month? I can't game either. I play Fallout 76 and all I get is lag and stutter. Just curious if yours worked itself out.

• 

4 Messages

Not resolved yet. After about 10 calls to tech supprt they determined it was an issue with the network card for my area and they are either needing to replace that card or install a new one for more bandwith. The only way I was able to actually get them to move on this was to file an FCC complaint. The office of the president for ATT called me within 48 hours from submitting the complaint. So now I wait for them to physically go out and perform the work.

Get started...

Ask a new question