Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Protect your device against loss, theft, damage and get expert technical support. Open Enrollment Ends 3/31/21.
LeeLeifeste's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Fri, Jul 14, 2017 3:57 PM

Speed Tests: Some questions need to be answered.

I am constantly having trouble with my internet connecting multiple devices.  I Hard Wire my Desktop and the only thing that uses Wireless are my 2 iphones, ipad and my amazon firestick.  4 Devices.  Now, if all 4 devices have the wireless on, not being used, but just on, my video on my firestick or any other device will almost certainly have latency issues.  This always leads me to run speedtests.  Here is where, quite honestly, I think AT&T is full of crap and they lie to their customers.  I never run just one speed test.  I run multiple speed tests from multiple sites.

My current internet is Internet 50.  I never get 50, according to https://www.att.com/support/speedtest/, I get 42.2 Mbps down and 8 Mbps up.  Sounds acceptable right?

Well, then I run speed tests to 4 other prominent independent speed test sites, here are the results:

Speedtest.net by Ookla: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6454954553

Review: Great Ping - 47 ms however the download speed is only 19.87 Mbps and the upload speed is only 5.95 Mbps.

Speakeasy by MegaPath: Download Speed: 15556 kbps (1944.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 6254 kbps (781.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Review: Again, not what they should be, my download speed is 15.556 Mbps and upload is 6.254 Mbps.

Ok, so maybe there is a mistake, so lets try something everyone pretty much accesses.  Netflix.  Let's do Netflix's

https://fast.com/ by Netflix Result: 15 Mbps download.

OK, ok, lets just try one more, maybe ALL THREE of the previous speed tests are wrong, maybe they are all crazy and only AT&T is right.  Let's try Google Speed Test.

For those who don't know, you can speed test through Google using Chrome by simply typing in Google Speed Test.

Result: 19.8 Mbps download 2.94 Mbps upload Latency: 38 ms Server: Dallas, TX

My conclusion?  AT&T is full of garbage and their speed test lies to you.  I definitely would like someone not reading a script to explain the discrepancy to me.

When I call Tech Support, their answer is, only AT&Ts Speed Test is accurate.  Uh what?  If 4/5 speed tests read the same basic things, the 4 are correct and the 1 is wrong.  That's not opinion, that's science.

I encourage everyone to start asking these questions, run the speed tests, post the results, and then ask, why?  The bottom line, AT&T is not delivering on what you pay for.

Now, before anyone says it, why keep AT&T?   That's an entirely different issue because I live in an apartment complex and AT&T has monopolized the service here.  I can't get anything else and I am paying for the maximum internet speed I can get here.

Responses

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

4 years ago

It's good you use multiple speed test sites.  I always recommend that too along with taking the results with a "grain of salt" and use only as a general guide.  Do you run each speed test on each site multiple times just to see if each produces somewhat consistent results? 

The results depend on the distance to their respective test server(s).  I've found the longer the distance the slower the speed (I assume it takes more hops).  Most speed tests default to choosing their closest server to your location (based on your IP I believe).  Speedtest.net lets you choose other locations almost anywhere in the world.  Speakeasy has a more limited selection.

As an experiment, what would happen if you turned your wireless off?

FWIW, according to the ATT speed tiers page Internet 50 is estimated to get 30 Mbps-50 Mbps down and 6 Mbps-10 Mbps up.

Another speed test I use is speedof.me.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Yes, I run multiple tests to see if they are consistent.  They usually are, and I never run a test to a server out of state, to avoid too many hops.  Even so, I shouldn't be seeing a 25 Mbps drop off to an intrastate server.  Where is AT&T's server located that the speed test is run through?  That is another question I would like answered.

I just want to add that my wireless speed tests to my iphone only read 26 Mbps down but for some reason read 11.8 Mbps up.  I tested using Speedtests App by Ookla.  That is with 4 devices connected but not being used and my Desktop hard wired.

I don't like the discrepancies and I still would like an explanation.

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

4 years ago

Generally I find that the upload speed varies little no matter which speedtest I run. I've seen that consistent behavior literally for years.   And I was going to say I see the same results with yours with the average 6 Mbps (low end of your tier speed).   So I can't explain why your upload speed on your IPhone was 11.8 Mbps. 

I can't explain the inconsistencies for your download speeds.  Here's some questions to consider or answer:

• What is the model of your gateway (router)? 
  • Is it using a pair bond connection (with 50 service I assume it is if it isn't fiber)?
  • Look at the broadband status info in your router (192.168.1.254) and see if the error rates look "reasonable".
  • You said you ran one of the speedtests from your iphone.  Out of curiosity do you see inconsistent results if you run the other speed tests from that iphone?  It might be interesting to see if they are consistent and not so much the absolute numbers.
  • Would changing DNS in you computer have any affect?
  • Still might be interesting to see what happens if the wireless is turned off.

For what it's worth (not much I guess) I just tried the various speedtests with my Internet 24 connection (no pair bond, no fiber here) and NVG599 router and get pretty consistent results as I usually always do, i.e., 26 to 29 down and 4.7 up.  I'm apparently is a little over provisioned.  I am about 1800 feet (wire length) from the VRAD.  The NVG599 is ethernet connected to my 6-core 3.33GHz MacPro using Firefox as my browser.  Wireless is off.

ATTDSLCare

Community Support

• 

1.3K Messages

4 years ago

@LeeLeifeste

First things first. For more "accurate" test results, you should be testing with only 1 device and that 1 device should be hardwired. Now, i say "accurate" because online speed tests are throughput tests, they do not and can not test your actual connection speed. You will also never see the full 50 because of overhead.

So why does the AT&T speed test give better results? Well this is because it stays on our network and its only a couple of hops away.This means it only has to deal with AT&T traffic. When you test with the other speed test sites then its going to test outside of our network where you now have to deal with all traffic. It's also entirely possible that when you leave the AT&T network that you are being routed through a congested 3rd party network.

Something else to consider is that if your line/modem is racking up a lot of errors, then it will still struggle less getting to our speed test as opposed to a 3rd party.

And another thing, if you have U-verse TV then this also shares your bandwidth.

If you want know your real connection rate then just look at the modem stats.

Also:

AT&T offers a wide variety of services to its customers (including Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), Internet Protocol (IP)-video, 
unified messaging, Voice over LTE (VoLTE), enterprise networking services, and other services), which share AT&T’s network infrastructure
and may affect the availability of network resources for broadband Internet access services. Your use of these services may affect the
performance of your mass market broadband Internet access service. In addition, although AT&T engineers its network to accommodate all users
and user types based on a variety of factors, including average and anticipated peak usage of the network, many factors cannot be anticipated
or are outside of AT&T’s control. These factors can impact the availability of network resources for mass market broadband Internet access
services at any particular time.
Consequently, AT&T does not guarantee the performance of your service on an end-to-end basis.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question? Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a question" button. Have email issues? Contact the Digital Assistance Center at 877-267-2988 and you can also reach out to our Chat Support 24/7.

For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTHelp and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

You try to check the speed again here internet speed test , you have ping try the address yet 192.168.1.1

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Same. Here’s the weird part, there is an outage in my area, so no internet (I’m using data on my iPad right now). AT&Ts speed test page is the only thing that will load, again pretty weird, but here’s the best part...it says I’m getting 51.3 download speed!  I have no freaking internet!  How can I get 51.3 download speed???

nbargolf

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

3 years ago

Think you got bad results I am on 100 mps and did one time get 65-90 mps great you say but over the last 10 days dropped to 15-25 mps nothing helps even a tech came out and got it running 65 mps and after 30 minutes went back to 8-15 mps. Here are the actual ATT speed test results so they can't argue about using their speed test.. 

Again

THROUGHPUTPERFORMINGSPEEDTESTREADYUPLOAD Mbps17.13 DOWNLOAD Mbps 9.88

Currently performing UPLOADtest

AT&T's Speed Test measures the speed between your computer and the Internet. It does not measure the speed between the Network Interface Device at your location and the AT&T network. Unsatisfactory test results do not necessarily indicate a problem with your AT&T service as factors outside of AT&T's control affect your speed. Review our online self-help to learn more about these factors and what you can do to improve performance.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Same her i was paying for 30 MbS but now on ATT i get about 17.5 i am going to have to go into a store to see what the deal is with the new FCC regulations basically there are no regulations. highspeed is 10 MbS down (1.25MBS down) and i think 1 MbS up (.125 MBS).

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

You're not alone. I actually just filed a BBB complaint against AT&T because I'm paying for 50mbs yet I'm getting 20 most of the time.  and daily I wind up with 0.35-1.5 at some point. They claim it's my computer... Yet, we have 150 mbs with Comcast at our small business.  I regularly get 165mbs there.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Hi,

I am currently on ATTs 1gb connection. When using speedtest.net on their server, I am getting around 734.34 down and 309.79up with a 3ms ping.  When I use another server I am getting much lower speeds, around 221.15 down and 89.74 up with a ping of 21.

This is after rebooting the modem and connecting 1 device only directly to it.

Att says they can only gauge the speeds based off only using their server. I don't believe that this is only related to Att as other providers I have used promise a certain speed but it drops considerably when not on their network. 

Honestly I think this is all for marketing to get people to believe they are getting fast speeds when they actually are not and believe it is deceptive advertising as they don't give all the facts.

coysolar

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Join the club! Most all of the providers do not offer as advertized.  It is more like the maximium speed you will get!

Just be thankfull you do not have to use Satellite with high ping times!

• 

1 Message

a month ago

This problem is very common. A few months back I ran speed tests to check the speed of my internet. I used a lot of speed test tools but every time I performed the test, the tool gave a different result. None of them were accurate. It was very difficult to find the one with accuracy. After a lot of digging, I found this https://www.allspeedtest.com/ I checked the speed of my internet here and got the same and accurate result even after repeating the speed test over and over. I will recommend you to check your internet speed using this tool, it will be really helpful.

Get started...

Ask a new question