Need help with your equipment?
zbeckertx's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, November 7th, 2015 3:12 AM

Speed keeps dropping way down

I have the 15mbps uverse service. Over the last few days (maybe longer), my speed keeps dropping down to around 1 to 1.5mbps downstream (measured on Speedtest.net multiple times). Recycling the gateway typically restores speed to close to 15 for a short time, only to have the speed degrade again soon after. What gives?

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

7 years ago

@zbeckertx wrote:

I have the 15mbps uverse service. Over the last few days (maybe longer), my speed keeps dropping down to around 1 to 1.5mbps downstream (measured on Speedtest.net multiple times). Recycling the gateway typically restores speed to close to 15 for a short time, only to have the speed degrade again soon after. What gives?

Hello,

Which Gateway do you have? If it is the NVG510 or NVG589, please try this.

1. Go to 192.168.1.254.
  2. Click Home Network.
  3. Click Configure.
  4. Enter the Device Access code which is different from your wireless password and can be found on the side of the RG.
  5. Turn IPv6 Off.
  6. Click Save.
  7. Restart your RG just to make sure everything goes through.

You are done.

Good Luck.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

30.9K Messages

7 years ago

@zbeckertx wrote:

There is no 15 Mbps speed tier.  The next one down is 12 Mbps.  The next one up is 18 Mbps.

You probably have something uploading data saturating your upstream and rebooting the Gateway interupts it for a while.  Online Backups, bitTorrent (or other P2P software), or malware would be my first guesses.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for the replies - tech came out and turns out there was something wrong with the gateway. He replaced it and now we're back to normal.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.