For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
SPreston2001's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Tuesday, November 25th, 2014 6:10 PM

Slow Wi-Fi Speeds On Brand New U-Verse Install

Hello members! I just had my U-Verse TV and Internet service installed this past Saturday (11/22/14) and everything is great except my Wi-Fi speeds!! When im hardwired to the modem I can pull my rated 45Mbps speeds, but on Wi-Fi im only getting around 15Mbps!! Coming from TWC I had excellent internet service and could pull my rated 30Mbps on Wi-Fi throughout the entire house! I switched to At&t because I was constantly having issues with my TWC tv service and At&t offered me a really great package with supposedly faster internet and more channels! Ive already had a tech come back out and replace the NVG589 with a brand new unit and that didnt help much. Ive cycled through all the channels on the modem and it didnt really make any noticable difference. It went up a few megs on certain channels but cracking 20Mbps was still a challenge. While testing and troubleshooting I had my modem out in the open and was only maybe about 5ft away from it. I also tested it farther away with no noticable difference. Upload speeds are always consistant 5Mbps or greater. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

Hi thanks for the reply! I have wifiAnalyzer and honestly im in a pretty crowded wifi area. The router I used with TWC was a DLink 2.4Ghz router too and I even tried hooking that router up behind the NVG589 and had the same results. It almost seems as if my wifi speeds are being throttled or something. If I had the same results with TWC I wouldnt be concerned but considering I was pulling a consistent 30Mbps wifi on cable in the same 2.4Ghz spectrum makes me wonder lol. I was thinking of purchasing a Netgear Nighthawk or the Asus AC68U both which are dual band AC routers to see if that helps. Before I do that are there any other internal modem settings I can play with? Ive attached a screenshot of my wifi channels below. Im currently on channel 2. I also have the router set to 20Mhz with N-only since I dont have any older devices that use G. Thanks

10815641_10152589959694671_834899749_n.jpg

1 Attachment

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

9 years ago

What i would do is.

1 Restart the NVG589, set to channel 15

2 buy an alternetive router that is dual band AC. The NVG 589 only has a G router inside.

3 Click this video link to see how to setup the Router. Netgear Night Halk is prefered if you have a large house. Watch Video

4 If this does not fix everything call ATT at:

800.288.2020 Click here to chat.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

9 years ago

Only use 1,6, or 11.

Here are some helpful links:

http://www.metageek.net/support/why-channels-1-6-and-11/

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/How-to-Minimize-Wireless-Interference/td-p/2303003

Make sure the client devices you are using are at least 2x2 N.

@Signaladviser 

There's no channel 15 on the 2.4 GHz band for use. The US devices are only capable of 1-11.

The NVG589 is also a 2x2 N router and not G.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

Yeah I knew about using 1, 6, or 11 to avoid overlapping and such but channel 2 yielded the best results so I just left it there. My house isnt too large (about 2400 sq ft) but I did hear great things about the Nighthawks range. I also heard it suffers from buggy firmware and has a massive footprint...

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

9 years ago

When on non 1,6,11 your throughput is going to be inconsistent at times. You'll also be slamming your neighbors networks, not being quite a nice person. Plus, when overlapping your network is likely to have more problems at lower signals. Plus, overlapping leads to more networks to overlap each other over time leading to much greater problems than you began with. Not a very good tactic, especially in a U-verse neighborhood where the 2wires choose random channels when faced with a lot of overlapping networks. Don't be the one who ruins your neighborhood's wireless :(.

What kind of device are you using to determine your speed? If it's a laptop/desktop, do you know what wireless card it has?

If you don't know, what is the Windows link rate at?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

Yeah I was going to change it to one of the 3 channels I was more so just trying to get a better idea of what was going on with my speeds. As far as the test, I used a few different devices. I used my phone (HTC One M8), my Nexus 7 tablet, my Xbox One, and lastly my laptop. All devices gave me similar results.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

9 years ago

What's the link rate on the laptop? I can't say for sure, but I believe that most of what you listed are 1x1 antenna devices. To take advantage of the NVG589, you should have 2x2 antenna or better cards.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

That could be the case but what about when I was using my old 2.4Ghz router that I used with TWC? I still got the same results when I had that behind the NVG589.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

9 years ago

Can't say, it could have been just slightly better in terms of wireless. Also, when doing speedtests on wireless they are generally too thrown off by higher latency(U-verse VDSL2 has a little bit more latency added).

When you are running these speedtests on your laptop, are you making sure you're using an AT&T server?

If you find your wireless adapters linking at only 72 Mbps at most on your laptop, you should purchase a newer adapter.

Maybe one of these:

(if you want to help yourself in case you decide to get an AC router in the future)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127466&ignorebbr=1

or(if you don't want to get something cheaper)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320089&ignorebbr=1

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

Ok I looked up my laptop wireless specs and it has a 2x2 wireless card. Its a Samsung ATIV 9 plus that come with a Intel® Wireless-N 7260AN. Ill try to buy a Nighthawk router over the Black Friday weekend and see if that helps any!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.