Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
RArn

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Fri, Sep 21, 2012 5:45 PM

Re: Ongoing problems with AT&T/ Yahoo email!!

Seems I am joining this group.  

I have ATT Uverse.  Using Apple Mail on a Mac.  Have had same email addresses for yrs - no problems.  

Two days ago 2 of my sub email accounts stopped working due to password.  Asks me again and again and again for passwords.

Online chatted w/ ATT, changed passwords.  Am able to login Yahoo with new passwords.  Can login att.net with new passwords.  Can retrieve emails on iphone.  

CANNOT access 2 emails accounts via Mail.  However, my main email account continues to work - for which I am grateful.  But still need some help please.   

Has anyone found a fix?

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

aviewer

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

RArn - Here's what I did & I believe many others did, too - Open a free gmail account & set it up in macmail. (Guess you could do it with icloud mail if you have mountain lion.) In gmail download all your stuff from att/yahoo. In att/yahoo set it to forward all new mail to gmail. Use gmail, trouble free, happily ever after.
RArn

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

AHHHH. Now all ATT email addresses are inoperable on Mac.  Asking for passwords - again and again and again....I am so frusutrated.  If anyone has suggestions I would appreciate them.    Thanks

RArn

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

My expectation is that ATT will correct this error.  Their servers are not responding correctly.

However, should that not happen thank you for this idea!!  If I read correctly, I would access email as I do now via Mac Mail and email addresses would/could remain the same as they would be pushed from yahoo to gmail.  Is that correct?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

After sleeping for a couple months this ugly monster has reared its head again.

I have 2 prodigy.net accounts. One works fine most of the time. The other did not work all day Saturday and all day Sunday. It worked for a few minutes this morning then quit working.

It is the same old thing. It keeps telling us the password is invalid even though we know it is correct. Eventually it works. After many frustrating hours of trying to get through and past AT&T service techs, my only suggestion for a solution is to cancel the account. I am sure AT&T does not need our money.

RArn

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Just received a call from Carla {personal content removed for safety}, Office of the President, ATT.  In no uncertain terms she stated that this was NOT an ATT issue/problem and further they, ATT would not be addressing the problem.  Suggested another carrier may work better.....

Are you kidding me?

RArn

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Ta Da!

As one recent writer suggested I do (THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH):  

1. I opened an gmail account (easy).  

2. Created a new account in Mac Mail (very easy - fields self populated).  

3. Went to ATT.net opened the non operating email account set options to forward emails to the new gmail account (Mac Mail).  

And, Ta da!  Getting my emails via gmail in my Mac Mail.  Easy peasy.  Thank you Google.

So much easier than dealing with ATT!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Carla needs to find a new job or some new employees.

AT&T has acknowledged the problem here:

Intermittent Login and Password Problems

The original content of this page has been modified and they are now suggesting the problems may be due to user error.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

After months of frustration, I found that this work around fixed my problem!!! Logged into ATT.net, went to More Options, POP and Forwarding then forwarded my ATT mail to my iCloud account. I did have to delete the ATT info from all my devices to stop the password rejection pop up box but its working great!!! 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Tell me, why is it that we are willing to put up with this very bad product and the worse support service, and figure out work arounds after hours/days/weeks (going on years) of frustration, and STILL give AT & T our business?

I started my email & DSL service years ago as an SBCglobal.net account. It got worse when they got taken over by Yahoo, and then when AT&T got involved, everything seemed to fall apart. I spend HOURS trying to access my email, thinking "This time the password loop is going to let me through," or I'm going to choose a different option (which doesn't exist).Then I give up for a week or two and try again.

Why would I want to keep their DSL service if they won't fix my email log in?

aviewer

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

peggyo - I guess you missed the solution in my previous post. A number of people (e.g. RArn) nave replied in other strings how easy it is to get relief.
Computer-Joe

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

8 years ago

@aviewer wrote:
peggyo - I guess you missed the solution in my previous post. A number of people (e.g. RArn) nave replied in other strings how easy it is to get relief.

I have to respectfully disagree. What you suggest is not a solution, it is extra effort required of the customer for what is just a work-around. The underlying problem is still there. I've experienced this problem myself. It is definately a server glitch somewhere, possibly can't handle the authentication load (not enough SSL sockets?). AT&T's online self-support seems to think the solution is always to change your password if it does not work, and if you call in they'll usually give you the standard third party email client support denial.

I think the problem has a lot to do with our AT&T/Yahoo co-existance and how neither seems to want to take ownership of this issue. Do we have an AT&T account or a Yahoo account, is it on AT&T servers or Yahoo servers, do we go through AT&T servers to get to Yahoo servers or go through Yahoo servers to get to AT&T's servers, or is it some combination of all of the above?

Maybe, hopefully, this new change in the homepage, is an indication that we're moving away from this co-existance, which in turn, may clear up all these email issues.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

ATT Yahoo is a MESS. A perfect example of a large corporation where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. I blame manangement. Their web sites are a quagmire. I have Uverse, I have att.net accounts, and I have sbcglobal.net accounts. There is no easy way to bounce from one account to the other. You have to log in and log out with each account and with ATT this is a very slow process to say the least. It always takes you to the news page first. Finding the right web page to manage accounts is a nightmare. Customer Service is the worst of the worst. If you are lucky enough to dig around long enough, you may find a 'chat' link to get you a real person to help you.

So I opened a gmail account. Last month I bought a new Mac Book Pro and I had to use the weak Mac Mail program (that's another story). Ever since, I've had nothing but pain and agony and spent days, if not weeks on this. Mac Mail is consistently asking me for passwords. I noticed I wasn't the only one having this problem. So I 'pop' forwarded my att email accounts to google gmail. Now it's even worse. I don't even get much of my email anymore. It's like I was back in the dark ages. When I mail myself from one att account to another, my mail dissappears. ATT has a HUGE problem and they refuse to admit it. The tech answer is to PAY for SUPPORT. As if that would even solve the problem. It's amazing to me that they have been able to get away with such an inferior product, web site and support. Like may other big corporations they try to stick their noses into every business area and end up doing NONE of them very well.

I am doing my best to get away from ATT as much as possible. Hopefully at some point COMPLETELY! I've already canceled all of my business services and now all I have is a Uverse account and email addresses. And the only reason I keep the Uverse account is because it is connected to my email accounts and clients, family and friends have this as their method of communication with me. ATT is not a communications company, it is a miscommunications company. Yes,I'm ticked off. This is not the first time ATT has screwed me and wasted my time. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Another fix but sloppy. My PC using OUTLOOK blew & wanting to have temp email use via iPAD set up Yahoo mail on iPAD3.  While primary emails came thru the sub accounts mailing didn't follow the Prime.  Sloppy but works: sign out of Yahoo then sign back in with sub account & password & the iPad sets up completely new files for that sub!  Again, temp solution to an Yahoo or Apple problem.   

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Once again Yahoo email, in all its infinite wisdom, has elected turbulance over smart solutions.  Yahoo's actions, to say the least, continue to frustrate even the most patient user.  The latest:  it's impossible to scan the listing of sent messages without reading message texts or searching my recipient names/email addresses.  The only reference next to sent messages is "me".  It's even more complicated when more than one person in the office is sending messages from the same email account.  How are we supposed to recall the message we're trying to locate if we haven't kept track of recipient names or email addresses and the only reference name is "me"? 

The other equally frustrating issue is Yahoo's failure to print attachment references on sent emails.  When reviewing printed texts of sent emails, there is no way to recall attachment information without handwriting this information on printed copies at the time the email was originally sent.

All this, together with Yahoo's reckless decision to redesign an email system which worked flawlessly for years, makes my blood boil.  It's forced us to go to "gmail" and "rackspace" for solutions while trying to work away from ATT email addresses that we've used for more than a decade.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I AGREE with going to Gmail. I have AT&T wireless and internet, and anytime I change a password in the email, it auto-changes my AT&T ACCESS password to my accounts, completely negating the "different passwords for each account" for security. Now if someone happens to get my email password, they can access my entire account and make changes!!

Forwarding all your email, you will have to go back to BASIC account, select Options, POP and Forwarding, Forwarding, etc. Besides, GMAIL is MUCH BETTER at catching SPAM than Yahoo. Have no idean why AT&T chose Yahoo mail. DUMB AND DUMBER!!

Get started...

Ask a new question