Need help with your equipment?
echodun's profile

Mentor

• 

15 Messages

Thursday, June 19th, 2014 7:53 PM

Questions about procedure to bridge NVG589 to ASUS

Probably stupid questions, but here goes:

1.  Does this process involve connecting a cable between the NVG589 and the personal router at all even when it's completed?

2.  When I'm done with the set-up, can I plug my LAN devices into the ASUS, the NVG589 or could I use both?  

3.  Should I reset the NVG589's subnet before even turning the ASUS on because isn't it possible they would conflict right off the bat?

4.   The Default Server Internal Address for the NVG589 is grayed out unless you switch to Default Mode for allocation.  I assume it's okay to temporarily do that, save, type in address and then switch back to Passthrough for allocation mode?

5.  Is the WAN address for the Asus its LAN MAC Address/Wireles 2.4GHz MAC address?

6.  Where do I change the Internet connection type to DHCP on the ASUS?  The LAN tab has a DHCP Server tab which reads "Enable the DHCP Server" which is "on" by default.

TIA.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi @echodun ,

There is never a stupid question. With all the questions you asked there is always someone that has probably wondered the same thing.

1.  Does this process involve connecting a cable between the NVG589 and the personal router at all even when it's completed?

Yes, you will need to connect an Ethernet cable between your NVG589 and personal router unless your router connects wireless (most do not).

2.  When I'm done with the set-up, can I plug my LAN devices into the ASUS, the NVG589 or could I use both? 

You can use both, but I would suggest just using one for all your internet connections and all your U-verse connections like the set top boxes should remain directly connected to the NVG589.

3.  Should I reset the NVG589's subnet before even turning the ASUS on because isn't it possible they would conflict right off the bat?

They may conflict right off the bat, but they usually do not. Either way, I would suggest changing the subnet on the ASUS router.

4.   The Default Server Internal Address for the NVG589 is grayed out unless you switch to Default Mode for allocation.  I assume it's okay to temporarily do that, save, type in address and then switch back to Passthrough for allocation mode?

The fields that are grayed out are not used when configuring passthrough in that mode. So it does not matter if you fill it out because it will only use the MAC address when determining what device to put in passthrough.

5.  Is the WAN address for the Asus its LAN MAC Address/Wireles 2.4GHz MAC address?

The WAN IP address will be the IP address that it receives from the NVG589. The WAN MAC address is the MAC address for the WAN port of the Asus router. You will actually be able to see both on the Device List of the NVG589 once everything is setup.

6.  Where do I change the Internet connection type to DHCP on the ASUS?  The LAN tab has a DHCP Server tab which reads "Enable the DHCP Server" which is "on" by default.

It depends on what firmware and ASUS router you have, but usually it is in the basic setup. The DHCP server is used to connect devices to the LAN.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.