Need help with your equipment?
c000159's profile

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Wednesday, April 8th, 2015 2:39 PM

Port forwarding requires static IP address?

For years I had a 2-wire router and had it configured to port forward 2 ports for my surveillance DVR. Worked beautifully for years without having to buy a static IP address. The router started acting up and AT&T sent me a new one (same 2 wire model). I duplicated the port forwarding settings on the new router but now my cameras are not viewable. I confirmed with AT&T technicians that my router is configured properly, but when I go to canyouseeme.org, the ports are not open. SInce they could not figure out what was wrong, they told me I needed to buy a static IP address. When I asked them how it worked before witout a static IP address, they said the routers had been upgraded and would ot do port forwardig on a static IP address. I checked to see how much it would cost to get a static IP address and my phone bill would more than double, which is unacceptable. Personally, I do not believe I have to get a static IP address.  Can anyone confirm this or have any suggestions on how I can get this resolved?  

Thank you

ACE - Expert

• 

34.3K Messages

9 years ago

No... you do not need buy a static address.

You should check to make sure that your external address is what you think it is (it may or may not have changed during the RG swap).

You should also reboot both cameras to be sure that they and the new RG agree on what their IP address is.  They may still be holding an DHCP IP assignment from the old RG. 

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply!  I did verify the IP address (see below). I went to canyouseeme.org and checked. It comes up with your external IP address automatically. I also have rebooted the DVR. I can access the DVR from my computer when I'm connected to my home network, but I cannot when I am connected to a different network.   Do you have any other suggestions? I can provide screenshots of my routers configuration if you need them. IP and CAN.jpg

ACE - Expert

• 

34.3K Messages

9 years ago

Can you post your RG port forwarding settings?  I know you confirmed them with AT&T, but...

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

Router config 1.jpgRouter config 2.jpg

The first pic shows that the Zmodo DVR has been selected and the DVR is the hosted application. The second pic shows the open ports. This was not my original configuration; the AT&T technicians changed it to these what is in these pictures. I didn't add port 80. If you need more pics, let me know. Is it possible they have blocked the ports where I cannot access them?   I've lookied into another ISP and they do that. You can open your ports on the router but they have to also open the ports up somewhere else. I'm glad someone is at least looking into this - thank you!  

ACE - Expert

• 

34.3K Messages

9 years ago

I see a variety of ports that are supposed to be open depending on the Zmodo model.  (for example, see here:  http://kb.zmodo.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=1&id=4&artlang=en )

Are 7777 and 9000 appropriate for your model?  What were your settings on the previous RG?

You apparently access the camera using two (or more ports) from your browser.  One (80) will be used for the basic web page, including the imbedded video control.  The other will be used by that control to pass the video data.  So, my next question is are you getting to the camera's web page at all?

Stupid question: have you verified that the DVR still works using a PC internal to your network and the internal IP address?

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

Yes, the two ports are appropriate. It needs two ports - one for smart phones and one for a computer. The smartphone port is 9000, the computer port is 7777. It doesn't need port 80 - the AT&T tech added that port when they "reconfigured" my RG. The manual may have something different, but mine had these ports from the factory and they worked fine up until I got this new router. 

If I am on my local network, I can access the DVR with no problem. Below is a screenshot:

Screenshot DVR.jpg

ACE - Expert

• 

34.3K Messages

9 years ago

You can try filling in the IP address field to match your internal LAN address.  You may need to switch from DHCP to static LAN (as opposed to a public static, which you'd have to pay for) IP address.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

The DVR is setup for Static IP address. And it's also setup on the RG that way. All my other devices are set for DHCP. 

ACE - Expert

• 

34.3K Messages

9 years ago

Your Port Forwarding display doesn't have the IP address field filled in.  Have you tried putting the private static address in that field?

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

Ok, you lost me on that. What screen are you looking at?  I'm guessing it's in the Firewall tab, then Applications, Pinholes and DMZ?  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.