Uniquely for you. Preorder the new Google Pixel 6.
martylavender's profile

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

Fri, Nov 13, 2015 9:30 PM

Port 8080 shows closed but forwarding is setup in my Gateway

We have Uverse Gigapower using an ARRIS NVG599. I have port forwarding setup for port 8080 to point to a specific machine. When I attempt to telnet to this port, the connection is refused. When I run an external port scan, it shows closed, which they define this as the port is responding but nothing is listening on that port. 

Should I have any issues with my micro service running on port 8080?

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

6 y ago

1) Check to make sure there isn't a filter defined in the Firewall of the NVG599 that is blocking traffic on port 8080.

2) Make sure that port 8080 works from inside your NVG599 by connecting to the local IP address and port via TELNET.  Note that NAT reflection is not supported by U-verse Gateways, so you cannot use your external IP address to access resources inside your network.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

6 y ago

I have the IP filteres disabled just for good measure during testing.

We have a Synology NAS that I can FTP to on port 21 using the external IP of the gateway. Is there a specific reason port 21 will work by 8080 will not? I just opened port 5000 and I can get to the NAS and log into it. If NAT Reflection is not possible, how would one go about doing this outside of IP pass through to a secondary router?

Is it possible to have multiple IPs assigned to my service and then use IP pass through to assign one of those IP addresses to that secondary router?

Or even more simply put, what are my options here? Also, can someone contact me about static IPs for our Uverse service?

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

6 y ago

To talk to someone about getting a static address block, you could either call 1-800-288-2020 or you might could PM @ATTU-verseCare , I'm not sure the U-verse Care group can handle sales like a static address block.

It would help me to have a whole picture of what you're trying to do, as I'm getting lost in that last post.  There's no problem with NAT and having external addresses on the outside being translated into internal, it's just that you can't refer to those external addresses inside your network, i.e. if you had e.g. 1.2.3.4 as your external address and port 5000 pointing to (again e.g.) 192.168.1.4 port 5050, you can use 1.2.3.4 port 5000 from outside your network, but inside your network, you'd have to use 192.168.1.4 port 5050.

You could use your own router that had reflection of external addresses inside of your Gateway, and depending on what you intend to do with your static address block, you might need that additional router.

Also keep in mind that FTP is a funky protocol because it uses two different ports (21 and 22) and can cause confusion for firewalls that are trying to open paths dynamically.  That's where you hear Active and Passive FTP.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

6 y ago

So its nothing fancy

I have port 8080 forwarded to a machine on our local LAN that is running a service on this port.

Port 21 works

Port 5000 works

I can even VPN into my network via the NAS

Port 8080 however refuses to respond to outside requests.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

6 y ago

Port 8080 externally is also port 8080 internally?

What protocol is operating on port 8080?  HTTP?  Can you telnet to it internally?

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.