Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

• 

2 Messages

Wed, Jan 15, 2020 3:17 PM

Periodic high latency and packet loss at intermediate hops

I have AT&T fiber and normally have extremely consistent internet (~8-900 mbps up/down, and 15ms latency). However, for the past week or so, I've noticed random periods throughout the day where everything seems to slow to a crawl.

I finally decided to perform some diagnostics and found that throughout the day the network was periodically experiencing extremely high latency and packet loss for around 5-15 minutes at a time, otherwise the network is pretty consistent. Over about a 12 hour span of time there 14 of these extremely high latency network events occurred.

Here is an image from ping plotter showing a 12 hour block with many of these "events" occuring:

Here is a 10 minute block from ping plotter that shows the state of the network closely during one of these episode:

Additionally, here is the output from a traceroute that's been running all night on my linux box that shows packet loss and an incredibly high latency standard deviation on one of the hops:

The latency and packet loss in each case seems to be introduced at an intermediate hop.

These periodic events nearly cripples any network usage while it lasts. Is there anything I can do personally to improve my network situation? Also, these hops seem pretty far away from my location, is this a widespread issue?

Thanks!

Responses

lottytx

Teacher

• 

58 Messages

4 weeks ago

i am HouTx West U area

lottytx

Teacher

• 

58 Messages

4 weeks ago

Say you run the dslreports speedtest on Windows PC .. what are you results

From the RG .. you can do a speed test .. but i am just as interested in what that client devices show from wired connection

lottytx

Teacher

• 

58 Messages

4 weeks ago

I am trying to attach image of my response but i get error message ... failed upload please retry

all image files 700- 800 kb so not large.. i used windows snipit .. to generate in png jpg gif .. same results ..

How were you able to attach the image files

lottytx

Teacher

• 

58 Messages

To update .... issue appears to have been resolved at 2.15 pm Fri 1/24/20 .. no change from my side desite many hours troubleshooting

My assumption is AT&T replaced or added router / routing capacity external to my site / residence.

Now my upload leg tests at full 950 Mbps .. was 15 Mbps ..

AT&T support gets an F .. never communicated anything meaningful and in fact caused me lots of wasted time

I have all logs to show the packet loss etc al throughout this 4 week degrated service period. Logging shows discrete clearing of the congested status as of the above date / time.

(edited)

lottytx

Teacher

• 

58 Messages

Not fully resolved. The upload speed fixed but packet loss, latency and VoiP impairment ongoing.