Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help with your equipment?
kostrand8's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Monday, March 5th, 2018 9:00 PM

Parental Control - Smart Home Manager

With my previous internet carrier, I could log into the router setup and set schedules for each device connected to my Wifi.  For example, the Xbox automatically disconnected at midnight on weekends and earlier on school nights, as did all the cell phones.  Before switching to AT&T last week, I engaged in an online chat session with a sales rep (Jonathan) and specifically asked about this.  He assured me I would be able to do this with AT&T and that when the technician installed the new system, he would show me how.  Well, the tech knew nothing about it, and when I called Support, I was transferred to a supervisor who told me that this was not possible!  I had saved and printed the online chat session, so I referred to it again and contacted AT&T a few hours later to ask again, this time via chat.  The chat rep (Glenn) told me that the AT&T Smart Home Manager app is being updated THIS WEEK and that it will have the capabilities I asked for.  Can anyone confirm that this is true?  I have searched the internet for news releases about this but found nothing.  My fear is that this was just another chat rep trying to get a 5-star survey rating.  I have 30 days to cancel my service without penalty, and if I am not able to control the devices connected to my Wifi as I was promised then I want to cancel and go back to my previous carrier.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

3 years ago

I don't think you understood what I was trying to say.  The point is that doing a Factory Reset will cause the Gateway to go back to, well, factory settings.  Anything done by the Smart Home Manager would be lost.  There's no way to protect against changes if the password is still the value sitting on the sticker on the side of the gateway and someone who wants to change things can see that.  Even if you change that password, they can do a Factory Reset which changes the password back to what's on the sticker (and removes any settings).  There's no way to protect against changes to the Gateway without physically protecting the Gateway from access so that it cannot be unplugged and have the reset button pushed.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.