Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
C

• 

2 Messages

Mon, Oct 19, 2020 9:25 PM

Only getting 50 mbps through ethernet

Im only getting 50 mbps through ethernet and im wondering why. I have a cat 6 cable with the router being the ARRIS BGW210. I currently do not know how much the speed im supposed to get because my parents had gotten this new wifi and they said that they got the”highest gigs” which is obviously not true because through my phone im only get about 30-40 download and 10 upload. When u choose your speeds does it also limit the speed that goes through ethernet??

Responses

davemize

ACE - Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

a month ago

The highest speed at your address could be 50gb, if your service is FTTN. If your parents are paying the bill, ask them. The service speed will be detailed on the bill for your service.

"Don't make me summon the flying monkeys...."

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
my thoughts

Employee

• 

16.5K Messages

a month ago

Best speed an address can support based upon facilities available and distance from those facilities.

Possible speed tiers...

* for direct fiber FTTP (Fiber To The Premise) are 1000, 300, 100, 50, 25, 10 depending on price points... all direct fiber can support 1000. (14+ million addresses)

* indirect fiber or Fiber To The Node (FTTN) has 100, 75, 50, 25, 18.... the longer the copper loop after the fiber the lower the speed offered. (27 million addresses)

* ADSL2+ is fiber at the CO or RT, best speed is 18 dropping to 10, 5, 3, 1.5, and .76 as copper loop increases. (20 million addresses)

If your best speed is 50/10, that is what your are testing, there is nothing wrong with the service... it is the service you have... FTTN VDSL internet 50/10 as either single or bonded pair.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

• 

2 Messages

a month ago

By bill do you mean the bill that goes through mail?

my thoughts

Employee

• 

16.5K Messages

a month ago

The ATT statement (bill) which has the monthly charge, could be mailed to address or sent as an email depending on how was set up at time of installation. 

In my experience, younger age groups prefer email while older generation prefer direct mail. I can go either way, but do prefer a paper check instead of direct deposit... I am more inclined to verify hours, amounts, etc while many that get direct deposit never look at the details of their paycheck, just the deposit amount.

Similar, I find many that receive bills by email never look at the details either, just how much to pay without knowing why. Then you get a post that says ATT has been misbilling for 2 years... why... because they paid it and never verified what they were paying for.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
teetertotter

ACE - Teacher

• 

564 Messages

a month ago

You can log into your ATT account and look at what you have in the way of service and what you are paying.

"Helping Others" 

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question