For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
mestizas's profile

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

Thursday, August 18th, 2016 2:29 AM

Need help configuring an Apple Airport Extreme with Pace 5268AC

I recently signed up for U-Verse Gigapower and have the Pace 5268AC gateway.  I also have an Apple Airport Extreme. I want to configure the AE in bridge mode and use the AE wireless and disable the wireless on the 5268, but let it do DHCP.  The goal is to create a single network whether connectivity is via Ethernet or wireless.  I tried this past weekend to get that to work with no success. I could get Ethernet via the 5268 to work, but could not get the AE wireless to stay up and allow endpoints to connect.

I finally resorted to cabling from the WAN interface on the AE to the LAN interface on the 5268. I enabled DHCP + NAT on the AE, disabled wireless on the 5268 and used the DMZ Plus mode on the 5268 to allow traffic to the AE. Connectivity is now solid for both Ethernet and wireless and speed is awesome. 

The only issue I have is I now have effectively two networks. The 192.168.1.x wired network that is served by the 5268 when I plug things in via Ethernet and a 10.0.1.x wireless network when devices connect wirelessly.  This normally wouldnt be a big deal, but now I have some devices wired (I have Ethernet drops in each room of the house that go to a Gigabit switch in the garage) on one network and some wireless on another and now things like Sonos, Plex, and potentially other services are not able to connect.

I want to go back and re-try the originally attempted configuration where the AE is simply a passthru and provides the wireless connectivity in the home and everything whether wired or not is on the same network.  Any suggestions on the steps to configure this way?  Would this be the correct configuration on both devices to try?

5268AC

- Connect an Ethernet cable from LAN interface to LAN interface on AE

- Disable wireless

- What else am I missing? Do I need to do anything with DMZ Plus, etc?

AE

- Configure Network > Router mode to 'Off / Bridge mode'

- What should I set for Internet settings (connect via DHCP?, what about IPV6?)

- Any other settings I am missing?

Also, is there a certain ordering sequence that the config should be performed?  I burned the whole weekend trying to get my original configuration to work.  I want to make sure I get it right this time.

Thanks!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Bob, When you say you assigned the AE a static IP address outside the range of the 5268AC, what does that mean? I know how to assign a static IP address on the AE, but if it's outside the range of the 5268AC (192.168.1.64 thru 192.168.1.254), will the gateway still connect with the AE? 

Thank you, and I hope this setup works for me, too.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

I have since replaced the Airport Extreme devices with an Eero mesh network (for better coverage), but I essentially followed the below steps to get a working config in place for the two Apple Airport Extremes.  For step #2, I set the Airport extremes to a fixed IP of 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3.

1. First, have the 5268AC router connect via Ethernet (LAN) to the AE Ethernet (LAN)

2. You will want to configure the AE for bridge mode and assign a static IP address and this is best accomplished using an IP outside the DHCP range of the 5268AC

3. 5268AC can serve DHCP and you can disable the Wi-Fi access point on the 5268AC

4. It is recommended by AT&T that all U-verse equipment connect back through the 5268AC directly for U-verse network functions and all internet data devices can connect through the AE Ethernet and Wi-Fi access point

5. Disable the DMZ Plus to allow the 5268AC firewall to provide security for all devices

Hope this helps,

Bob

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

That did it for me...mostly. I have ATT fiber, now get speeds of 900+ Mbps for the wired ethernet devices but only about 1/10 of that speed on the wireless network. But I guess that is as good as I’ll do. Or maybe I can tweak setting on the AE that will improve it. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.