Need help with your equipment?
boypirate's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, September 14th, 2016 3:46 AM

Nameserver Stops Responding

We are experiencing page timeouts and very slow loading issues particularly with web-surfing. 

My DSL Line is  good.  VDSL trains at 56M Down 12.8M Up.  Internet Service Profile is 30/5 and I can hit that at anytime to any speedserver I choose.  The RG was last rebooted 15+ days ago.  SNR is 17.5D 21.5U.  Since the last reboot I've had 2CRCs and <55K FECs.  It is one clean loop.

Problem is not seen on uVerse TV nor is it seen on streaming services (e.g., youtube, netflix, etc.) as these apps are not as DNS intensive as traditional websurfing activities such as Facebook.

Example of MOTO NVG589 Log during periods of poor surfing.

2016-09-13T21:06:50-05:00 L3 dnsmasq[2061]: no responses from nameserver '68.94.156.10'
2016-09-13T21:08:27-05:00 L3 dnsmasq[2061]: nameserver '68.94.156.10' is now responding

For 2Minutes and 37Seconds Gateway couldn't talk to AT&T DNS Server.  That means when I typed in google.com, I needed to wait for over 2 minutes for the Residential Gateway to figure out I need to go to 64.233.177.113.

This problem is intermittent.  I may go several days without an issue and during that time period, the log will show few if any nameserver problems. ( I have logs going back to July).

When I do have problems, I will see constant error messages for both of the DNS servers (68.94.156.10 & 68.94.157.10) assigned to my Residential Gateway.

I've tested replacing the L3 (4.2.2.2) DNS and Google (8.8.8.8) DNS on one of my home PC's and it had no issues during timeperiods that others using the AT&T default config were having problems.

I've talked to AT&T (800 288 2020) and have been told since the line is good and I am getting 30/5, this is my problem.  I escalated to supervisor and got the same response. In fact he told me to just change to the alternate DNS servers.

This is not MY problem, it is an AT&T network problem.  The IP Block is owned by SBC (now AT&T) and the servers are dns156r10.sbcglobal.net and dns157r10.sbcglobal.net. And the Residential Gateway receives DNS server as part of the DHCP (or IPCP - Don't know if AT&T still does PPPoX).

Even if I wanted to change the DNS Server address, the MOTO NVG589 won't let me. 

So that means I'd need to do it on each individual device in my home (that ain't gonna happen - That's why we invented DHCP).

You need to figure this out.  I used to be able to get connected to your Level 2 (and sometimes Level 3) to get things like this fixed.  But whatever new process that's in place doesn't allow for a dumb subscriber to talk to the support staff.

Thanks - BP

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

I personally configure my devices to use Google DNS (8.8.8.8) (Google DNS Info) and Open DNS (208.67.222.222) (Open DNS).

"So that means I'd need to do it on each individual device in my home (that ain't gonna happen - That's why we invented DHCP)." Yup. I recommend you at least try on one of your devices.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

As stated in my original post:

I've tested replacing the L3 (4.2.2.2) DNS and Google (8.8.8.8) DNS on one of my home PC's and it had no issues during timeperiods that others using the AT&T default config were having problems.

Again, implementing a static DNS configuration for every device in my home is not an option.  Also, DNS is not configuable on smartphones, tablets, etc.  So those users are still out of luck.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

The problem is also occuring where my issued DHCP DNS is 68.94.156.15/68.94.157.15.  Pings and tracert's to the 156 addresses fails.  Chats with the help desk instructed me to change my dns to the recommended address of 68.94.156.1.  This address also fails, however right now tracert's to 68.94.156.10 seem to be working. 

I too face the problem of not being able to add static DNS to many devices including AT&T (Directv) receivers.  For me this started Early Saturday morning.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Has AT&T done anything about this? I'm having the same issues and cannot change the DNS setting on all of my devices. 

Mentor

• 

25 Messages

7 years ago

This problem has existed since UVERSE first was itnroduced in my town.  I could download things and 3 times the speed but a webpage woudl stall halfway loading and load much slower and inomplely serverity depending on how may links DNS querie were required for a particualr page.  I was 2 full years before the adcress this enough to it wasn't nogtive with never new page loading.

I can only assume for whatever reason the restrict the number quiries they'll respond to in a given time and just not reply if too many too quickly.

you cant vhange the  dns servers the routr is hard wired to so the only solution is on every evice on you network remove the rotuer's i and dns server, nor should you include the dns server att  has. manually add public dns server other than att. Its always best to haeve a one even when you have properly fucntional dns server by default.  I prefer openDSN as to googles server.  or use both  openDSN servers are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.  Googles DNS servers are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.7.7

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.