Check out AT&T's Valentine's Day Gift Guide for ideas & deals on the new Samsung Galaxy S23!
Need help with your equipment?
budmay's profile

Contributor

 • 

2 Messages

Monday, January 19th, 2015 6:25 PM

Max available speed with UVERSE

I just upgraded ATT DSL to Uverse. I've always had 1.5 Mbs and was told it would remain that speed because I'm 11,000' form the office.

 

When the new Uverse modem was installed, it reports 5.8Mbs coming in. When I called to try to upgrade to higher speed I'm told it's not available. The tech support engineer could not explain to me why the modem has 5.8Mbs in, but cannot provide that to the inside network.

 

We have only internet and phone, no TV.

 

Below is a capture of the medem connection.

 

DSL LineLine 1 (inner pair)
 
User Rate1817 kbs380 kbs
Max User Rate5824 kbs1065 kbs
Noise Margin7.7 dB16.4 dB
Attenuation55.0 dB34.3 dB
Output Power16.8 dBm1.6 dBm

 

Can anyone explain why ATT cannot raise the speed?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

mibrnsurg

Expert

 • 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@budmay You're still at 11K' from the CO, noise margin is too low and attenuation way too high to get anything higher.  At most you could only get 3M at most, but think it wouldn't be too stable for you w/those miserable stats. 😉

 

Chris
__________________________________________________________

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

 • 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks, your explanation makes good sense.

 

Too bad that, in a city of 130,000, ATT doesn't upgrade their infrastructure for better service.

Anonymous

New Member

 • 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

Good luck, I pay for the 24 Mbps "turbo", and the speed regularly drops to 1-2 Mbps.

With AT&T, you don't get what you pay for.
mibrnsurg

Expert

 • 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago


@VOTINGW/WALLET wrote:
Good luck, I pay for the 24 Mbps "turbo", and the speed regularly drops to 1-2 Mbps.

With AT&T, you don't get what you pay for.

You're in the minority, here on 12/1.50 Mbs VDSL Internet, I regularly get 15.35/2.00 Mbs on speedtests.   Many other users get tests like this too. Smiley Very Happy

 

Chris
__________________________________________________________

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tigereyze209

Professor

 • 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago


@budmay wrote:

Thanks, your explanation makes good sense.

 

Too bad that, in a city of 130,000, ATT doesn't upgrade their infrastructure for better service.


They don't tell you this, as it would only confuse folks, but U-verse is still DSL. It is a differant KIND of DSL,, but still works like the old DSL.

 

They also won't tell you, they can put a signal booster called a loop extender into your line between the neighborhood box and your home which would increase your line speed a lot.

 

From ATT's point of view, changing your service over from DSL to u-verse IS an upgrade. And while "technicaly" the truth, in your case, the result was less than satisfactory. Or, at least, not a noticable improvement in connection speed.

 

If you know to ask the right questions, they ARE supposed to answer them honestly, but from what I hear, they sure don't voloutier it. You can read it in the fine print, just hope you are fluent in legal speak.

 

At least you still have service at all. Hope your situation improves.

hex731

Scholar

 • 

276 Messages

8 years ago


@VOTINGW/WALLET wrote:
Good luck, I pay for the 24 Mbps "turbo", and the speed regularly drops to 1-2 Mbps.

With AT&T, you don't get what you pay for.

Disagree. I always get excellent speed with U-verse.

Teacher

 • 

18 Messages

8 years ago

Comcast is way better of a deal you should check into them... Or else buy yourself up long distance antenna to pick up all the wifi around you either ones better than AT&T double chargeS for everything so thoroughly look through your bill I got charged $49 a month for 5 years automatically to a checking account we didn't use because they never disconnected it ...and they never refunded us back for that original line they were supposed to disconnect when they came out to install uverse so be careful guys

Tigereyze209

Professor

 • 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago


@hex731 wrote:

@VOTINGW/WALLET wrote:
Good luck, I pay for the 24 Mbps "turbo", and the speed regularly drops to 1-2 Mbps.

With AT&T, you don't get what you pay for.

Disagree. I always get excellent speed with U-verse.


The origional posters point was, not everyone gets good promised service. The fact that one personaly gets good service does not negate that fact, many do not in fact get the same level or service.

 

I personaly get reliable 6 MBPS DSL, and often, the connect speed is actualy BETTEr than the 6mb. So it could be argues, I get good service.

But just because I get what I was promised, does not negate others experiances that are less than satisfactory.

However it comes about, I hope the guy gets the speed he is paying form. Short of that, I hope he gets "made right".

Personally, I can only get tv programing associated with att thru DirecTv. Don't care for it, as it's just too much for my limityed budget. BUT, fairly often, I get offers implying I can really lower my costs by bundeling with the satallite service. No, won't actualy save me any more than what i already pay, but i can get a temporary discount on the tv cost.

Mind you, I save the whole cost by not having the tv, but don't stop them from trying to convince me it does.

My point: some of the folks who work for ATT will make promises and offers that turn out to be not quite what ATT can, or will deliver. Which very honestly represents the postiion, with ATT, you often do ont get what you paid for.

Not saying, it can't be fixed of corected, as it often is.

BUT, it can be a hasstle contacting them to find someone who can and will resolve your issue.

Undoubtedly, many of the issues posted here are exageratted. Any many of them get resolved, and we never hear the good news.

A big company like ATT (lets not forget, it's international also) with so many parts, can and does make many mistakes.

Many think of it as a public utilities company, and to a point, it is, BUT, it is a private company that offers services to the public.

It exists to make money, not be a charity.

And too, a big company always has turnover and transitions, not to mention, they also use out of country call centers to cover phones 24/7. Most folks answering phones work off a script, and right or wrong, their main goal is to answer the next call, not take the time to deal with an issue in detail.

I could go on and on, but ya get my point, I hope. Not every experiance is equal.

My two cents worth.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

 • 

31K Messages

8 years ago


@Tigereyze209 wrote:

@hex731 wrote:

@VOTINGW/WALLET wrote:
Good luck, I pay for the 24 Mbps "turbo", and the speed regularly drops to 1-2 Mbps.

With AT&T, you don't get what you pay for.

Disagree. I always get excellent speed with U-verse.


The origional posters point was, not everyone gets good promised service. The fact that one personaly gets good service does not negate that fact, many do not in fact get the same level or service.

...


The OP's point may have been that, but hex731 was replying to VOTINGW/WALLET's blanket assertion: "With AT&T, you don't get what you pay for."  

 

hex731 was stating that he did get what he paid for, in contradiction of what VOTINGW/WALLET stated.  I, too, get what I pay for, and as much as 20% more bandwidth.  No, not everyone's experience is the same.  I understand that VWW's having issues with his AT&T service.  I also understand that his situation (work hours, etc.) makes it hard for him to allow AT&T to work to fix his situation.  I hope his new provider is 100% trouble free, because AT&T isn't causing his work hours.

 

So, to agree with your point "Not every experiance is equal," that is true.  Not everyone's experience is trouble fee.  But not everyone's situation is VWW's either.

 

 

 

Tigereyze209

Professor

 • 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago

I agree with your last position completely.

 

Never say newver, and never say always, as therew is always exceptions.

 

BNut, thisa is our english language, love it or hate it.

 

And to be fair,m it was a rant, and as such, you have to make it sound worse than it is, to make your point dramaticaly.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.