Need help with your equipment?
frostcall's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Friday, August 23rd, 2013 10:06 PM

How do I put my NVG589 in bridge mode?

Overview

Most people don't need advanced features that personally owned routers offer and will be just fine using the NVG589 and turning off their personally owned router.  But if you're like me (and I know I am!) then you are probably reading this thread because you have ip cameras, personal clouds, photo servers, guest wifi, VPN's, xbox, QOS settings, et al.  I have an ASUS RT-N66U , a VIP2250, and a wireless reciever with a WAP; but your settings should be similar. 

The NVG589 does not have a simple 'Bridge mode' setting so you will need to get into weeds to get this working.  I hope you're ready.

First Steps

Make sure you have a laptop or a computer that you can connect directly into the NVG589.

Unplug all ethernet cables from the NVG589 except for the one going into the aforementioned laptop.

Write down the MAC address of your personal router (the WAN MAC address if you see different ones for LAN and WAN)

Settings on the NVG589

• Login to your NVG589 by going to 192.168.1.254
  • Go to 'Home Network' then 'Subnets & DHCP'.  Your password is on the side of the modem.
  • If your 'Device IPv4 Address' is the same subnet as your local router, I suggest changing it.  I changed mine to 192.169.2.254 but you can stick with whatever you like / need.  My subnet Mask remains at 255.255.255.0
  • Change 'DHCPv4 Start Address' to 192.169.2.1 (or whatever your above Device IPv4 address is but with a 1 at the end instead of .254)
  • Change 'DHCPv4 End Address' to 192.169.2.5, Just a few more than the Start Address.  We need these for any WAP extenders for wifi TV's.  It's important that you only have the laptop plugged into the ethernet at this point.
  • Click 'SAVE' at the bottom.
  • Go to 'Home Network'  then 'Wireless' and turn wireless off.  You want to use the wifi on your own router right?
  • Go to 'Firewall' then ' 'Packet Filter'.  Disable Packet Filters.  Again, we want our router to do the work.
  • Make sure you don't have any of your own settings turned on in 'NAT/Gaming' (don't worry if you see 1 in there already that you can't delete).
  • Go to 'Firewall' then 'IP Passthrough'.  For 'Default Server Internal Address', select or type in 192.169.2.1.
  • For 'Allocation Mode' select 'Passthrough' (I had to do it in this reverse order to be able to type for some reason)
  • For 'Passthrough Mode', select 'DHCPS-Fixed'
  • Type in the MAC address for your router under 'Manual Entry', lowercase is fine.
  • Click SAVE.  It will tell you that it needs to reboot.  Hang on for a minute.
  • Go to 'Firewall Advanced' at the top and turn everything OFF.
  • Near the top of your screen, you should see an option telling you to reboot the router. Go ahead and do this now. It takes about 2 minutes.

Personal Router Settings.

• Unplug your laptop and plug in your personal router while the NVG589 reboots.  
  • Plug your laptop into your personal router and login to it.  For me, it was 192.168.1.1 (hence why I changed things above)
  • For the ASUS RT-N66U, I had to go to my WAN settings, then 'Internet Connection'.
  • Change 'WAN Connection Type' to 'Automatic IP'.  This will give your personal router the external IP of the NVG589 and is the key to making this whole thing work. Some folks will have to manually enter in an IP and this can be found under the 'Broadband - Status' section of the NVG589 settings.  If you don't have 'automatic IP' then I feel bad for you since you will have to manually change this every time your IP changes.
  • 'Enable WAN', 'Enable NAT' and 'Enable UPnP' is all set to YES for me.  
  • I recomend Setting your own DNS server.  I use Google's but you use whatever you like.  Google's is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
  • 'Account Setting - Authentication' is 'None'.
  • There are no Special requirements from ISP at the bottom.
  • Hit APPLY at the bottom and your router will reboot.

I also changed settings in my IPTV under LAN:

• Profile was None.
  • Choose IPTV STB port, I set to LAN3 & LAN4.  I plugged my U-Verse WAP for the wireless reciver into the NVG589 and I plugged the ethernet cable going to the VIP2250 into LAN3 on my personal router.  I'm really not sure if this was necessary but I'm having 0 issues with this setup.  I initially tried putting the WAP on my personal router but had issues so I stuck it back on the NVG589 and it's fine.  I could probably just plug the VIP2250 into the NVG589 as well but I'm just enjoying the small victory of using my personal router for now.  
  • Hit apply at the bottom, another possible reboot.

At this point, I checked the internet and everything was working great through the router.  I restarted by 2 TV boxes (the VIP and the wifi ones).  Everything is peachy.

Your mileage may vary.  Good luck.

EDIT to update WAP configuration. 

Tutor

• 

65 Messages

9 years ago

I am new to AT&T.  My wife is due in under 10 days with our first child.  She wanted a landline and we have DirecTV.  So we switched to AT&T internet and phone.  We are getting 70-80 Mbps.  The problem is the setup of bridge mode for passthrough to my Dlink DGL-4500 gaming

router. 

I am a senior network architect.  I design data centers.  I have my B.EE, and certs from Cisco, Novell, and Microsoft.  Why did AT&T give us an old crap modem.  My WOW! modem passthrough works flawlessly. AT&T wanted me to pay $50 to talk to 3rd party support.  I told them I would return the equipment.  This function should work without jumping through hoops.  Your writeup was amazing.  I did read and follow it.  

I put the NVG589 into passthrough.  Rebooted both devices and the Dlink shows the 99.xx.xx.xx WAN address, proper gateway for the 99 address, and 192.168.x.254 for the DNS server.   WAN routing from my Dlink can't get to a NAT address.   I set my Dlink to manual static IP and configured the WAN IP, mask, gateway and DNS1 and DNS2 to get it to work.  If the firmware is the latest.   Does anyone know how to get the proper DNS to passthrough without a manual IP setup on our routers?   When AT&T changes the modem, we will have to change the static IP again and again.  The problem with the static IP setup our Galaxy S5 needed a manual setup for DNS too.  

I can't believe Motorola broke the firmware in a way not to pass proper DNS.  I might call them directly.  

I asked for a manager to call me.   I also contacted my AT&T fiber account manager and lead engineer to see if they can help get this resolved. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

The easiest way with AT&T is to simply leave the WAN settings untouched on
the NVG589 and set your router such that the NVG589 is connecte tosimply
get all of it's info over DHCP. Then, on your LAN, use your router for DNS.
It was that easy for me and I have not had any problems. It also allows for
DynDNS to work if your home LAN on your router supports it.

Tutor

• 

65 Messages

9 years ago

On my WOW router bridging worked and passed wan ip, subnet mask, gateway,  dns1,dns2.  589 gave its 192.168.0.254 as the dns.  So left 589 in bridge mode and put static ip on dlink.  Dhcps dynamic and dynamic dns set for both dns from them.  This way my dlink can make wan changes dynamically and keep dns which usually never changes.   Att needs to fix the firmware to do bridging.   They changed the firmware. 

Tutor

• 

65 Messages

9 years ago

I run corporate datacenter and am used to highend Cisco hardware.  WOW! gave me a better modem with good passthrough.  Disabled everything else.  I am working on doing the same on the NVG-589.  NVG stands for not very good.  I can't believe in bridge IP passthrough you give the 192.168.0.254 address as DNS when the WAN is a 99 address. 

Bridge IP Passthrough on every other modem I use and the Cisco routers I use works simply as a passthrough.

You get WAN IP, Subnet mask, gateway, DNS1 and DNS2 passed to your WAN port of your internal router.  I called AT&T support.  They referred me to $50 3rd party support.  I heard AT&T support rivals Comcrap and Dell for the lack of support.  I can believe it now.  I asked for a manager to call me.  3 days no call.   I run a corporate data center.  I e-mailed my fiber rep and his lead support engineer and complained to them.  They are trying to get someone to call me. 

If you think the NVG-589 is crap, you should see the BIB (bull**** in a box) device for my fiber.  Before it was a Cisco 2911 router.  Now it is a glorified cable modem with 24 port switch.  Looks like a toy.  I can't believe AT&T management is so inept.  Only good thing is I am 520 foot from the main box and my speed is 80+ Mbps and 18ms latency.   Users on this forum are amazing.   If anyone has a Dlink router you need help with, let me know.  I can explain my settings better. 

Tutor

• 

65 Messages

9 years ago

You are all going to love what I have to say.

As a network engineer that runs a data center, I have access to engineers from hardware providers.  I called Arris, the nvg-589 owner.  Talked to a support engineer.   It is not a firmware issue.  NVG-589 and NVG-599 IP passthrough does not work with AT&T Uverse as a bridge.  It works with every other cable provider.  It does not support a true bridge mode.  My WOW! Internet passes WAN IP, Subnet mask, gateway, DNS1 and DNS2.  AT&T U-verse is not capable because of how it is engienered and bound.  The IP passthrough only pases WAN IP, subnet mask, and gateway to your router.  It was never designed to bridge with another router.  He said to make sure you are connected to only the router's WAN port. 

Don't use IP passthrough directly to your computer or a switch.  Only connect it to the router WAN port.  Then, the router protects you properly.  Don't conenct to the LAN ports on the back end. 

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

9 years ago

Can anyone confirm if these steps will work with the Arris 599 that recently replaced my 589?

I have a Uverse setup and I would like to put an airport on the front end to control things better.  But would hate to ruin everything and get stuck in the middle.  It looks like this should work, but if there are differences, can someone chime in?  Articles on the 599 are really rare.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

9 years ago

i've been trying to get someone to take me step by step through the process

of setting up my third party router with the 589, but i'm not having any success.

i'm totally naive when it comes to this stuff and all of the solutions here are over my head.

the one video that supposedly helps, is no longer available.  there are so many different

replies and there all greek to me.  forgive me if i'm being redundant.

can anyone help?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

9 years ago

@barcar, this is one of the most clear set of instructions on configuring a router behind an NVG589.  Is there anything in particular you're having issues understanding?

Tutor

• 

65 Messages

9 years ago

NVG-589 needs to be first on the AT&T connection.  You would need to setup the Air Port to accept the static WAN information and verify it on the device.  You might need to do Dynamic DNS too.  

Tutor

• 

65 Messages

9 years ago

My suggestion is just use the NVG-589 and disconnect your router.  Configuring a router for IP passthrough to work can be difficult based on your router.   The reason I connected up my Dlink gaming router is because it is fully configured for 30+ devices, QoS, and my web server.  If you are a novice, you don't have much on your router.  You can just use the 589 instead.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.