Need help with your equipment?
frostcall's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Friday, August 23rd, 2013 10:06 PM

How do I put my NVG589 in bridge mode?

Overview

Most people don't need advanced features that personally owned routers offer and will be just fine using the NVG589 and turning off their personally owned router.  But if you're like me (and I know I am!) then you are probably reading this thread because you have ip cameras, personal clouds, photo servers, guest wifi, VPN's, xbox, QOS settings, et al.  I have an ASUS RT-N66U , a VIP2250, and a wireless reciever with a WAP; but your settings should be similar. 

The NVG589 does not have a simple 'Bridge mode' setting so you will need to get into weeds to get this working.  I hope you're ready.

First Steps

Make sure you have a laptop or a computer that you can connect directly into the NVG589.

Unplug all ethernet cables from the NVG589 except for the one going into the aforementioned laptop.

Write down the MAC address of your personal router (the WAN MAC address if you see different ones for LAN and WAN)

Settings on the NVG589

• Login to your NVG589 by going to 192.168.1.254
  • Go to 'Home Network' then 'Subnets & DHCP'.  Your password is on the side of the modem.
  • If your 'Device IPv4 Address' is the same subnet as your local router, I suggest changing it.  I changed mine to 192.169.2.254 but you can stick with whatever you like / need.  My subnet Mask remains at 255.255.255.0
  • Change 'DHCPv4 Start Address' to 192.169.2.1 (or whatever your above Device IPv4 address is but with a 1 at the end instead of .254)
  • Change 'DHCPv4 End Address' to 192.169.2.5, Just a few more than the Start Address.  We need these for any WAP extenders for wifi TV's.  It's important that you only have the laptop plugged into the ethernet at this point.
  • Click 'SAVE' at the bottom.
  • Go to 'Home Network'  then 'Wireless' and turn wireless off.  You want to use the wifi on your own router right?
  • Go to 'Firewall' then ' 'Packet Filter'.  Disable Packet Filters.  Again, we want our router to do the work.
  • Make sure you don't have any of your own settings turned on in 'NAT/Gaming' (don't worry if you see 1 in there already that you can't delete).
  • Go to 'Firewall' then 'IP Passthrough'.  For 'Default Server Internal Address', select or type in 192.169.2.1.
  • For 'Allocation Mode' select 'Passthrough' (I had to do it in this reverse order to be able to type for some reason)
  • For 'Passthrough Mode', select 'DHCPS-Fixed'
  • Type in the MAC address for your router under 'Manual Entry', lowercase is fine.
  • Click SAVE.  It will tell you that it needs to reboot.  Hang on for a minute.
  • Go to 'Firewall Advanced' at the top and turn everything OFF.
  • Near the top of your screen, you should see an option telling you to reboot the router. Go ahead and do this now. It takes about 2 minutes.

Personal Router Settings.

• Unplug your laptop and plug in your personal router while the NVG589 reboots.  
  • Plug your laptop into your personal router and login to it.  For me, it was 192.168.1.1 (hence why I changed things above)
  • For the ASUS RT-N66U, I had to go to my WAN settings, then 'Internet Connection'.
  • Change 'WAN Connection Type' to 'Automatic IP'.  This will give your personal router the external IP of the NVG589 and is the key to making this whole thing work. Some folks will have to manually enter in an IP and this can be found under the 'Broadband - Status' section of the NVG589 settings.  If you don't have 'automatic IP' then I feel bad for you since you will have to manually change this every time your IP changes.
  • 'Enable WAN', 'Enable NAT' and 'Enable UPnP' is all set to YES for me.  
  • I recomend Setting your own DNS server.  I use Google's but you use whatever you like.  Google's is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
  • 'Account Setting - Authentication' is 'None'.
  • There are no Special requirements from ISP at the bottom.
  • Hit APPLY at the bottom and your router will reboot.

I also changed settings in my IPTV under LAN:

• Profile was None.
  • Choose IPTV STB port, I set to LAN3 & LAN4.  I plugged my U-Verse WAP for the wireless reciver into the NVG589 and I plugged the ethernet cable going to the VIP2250 into LAN3 on my personal router.  I'm really not sure if this was necessary but I'm having 0 issues with this setup.  I initially tried putting the WAP on my personal router but had issues so I stuck it back on the NVG589 and it's fine.  I could probably just plug the VIP2250 into the NVG589 as well but I'm just enjoying the small victory of using my personal router for now.  
  • Hit apply at the bottom, another possible reboot.

At this point, I checked the internet and everything was working great through the router.  I restarted by 2 TV boxes (the VIP and the wifi ones).  Everything is peachy.

Your mileage may vary.  Good luck.

EDIT to update WAP configuration. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

See thats the problem though. Even if I go directly through the RG I am not getting the port forwarded. I thought that the passthrough was going to alleviate that issue with the RG and allow the router to just do the work. I guess I might need to just start a seperate thread on port forwarding.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

If you're doing IP Passthrough on the NVG 589, then you do not need to do any port forwarding on the NVG 589.  It does have some optional traffic filters that may block the traffic that you want forwarded, so the OP tells you where to turn these off.  Once you've done that, the NVG 589 is pretty much out of the picture and you turn your attention to your third party router.

So... now you go to your third party router and set up port forwarding for one or more external public ports to an internal address and ports.  You may also have to turn off default traffic filters on your third party router.

Keep in mind that if using some online tool to test accessability requires that whatever it is you're trying to access be running and responding at the configured address, otherwise the online tool will tell you that it's not open (even if the router is configured correctly), thus you should make sure from inside your network that the internal address and port respond as you expect.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Any idea what's still preventing a few of us from successfully changing the basic IP range? I have the same firmware version as Neuro but I can't get any changes to work.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

@UnderwaterMike wrote:

Any idea what's still preventing a few of us from successfully changing the basic IP range? I have the same firmware version as Neuro but I can't get any changes to work.

Can you more clearly explain what you mean by changing the basic IP range?  Also, a factory reset sometimes clears some strange issues in these RG's.  But you have to reconfigure from scratch after that.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

@frostcall wrote:

Overview

Most people don't need advanced features that personally owned routers offer and will be just fine using the NVG589 and turning off their personally owned router.  But if you're like me (and I know I am!) then you are probably reading this thread because you have ip cameras, personal clouds, photo servers, guest wifi, VPN's, xbox, QOS settings, et al.  I have an ASUS RT-N66U , a VIP2250, and a wireless reciever with a WAP; but your settings should be similar. 

The NVG589 does not have a simple 'Bridge mode' setting so you will need to get into weeds to get this working.  I hope you're ready.

First Steps

Make sure you have a laptop or a computer that you can connect directly into the NVG589.

Unplug all ethernet cables from the NVG589 except for the one going into the aforementioned laptop.

Write down the MAC address of your personal router (the WAN MAC address if you see different ones for LAN and WAN)

Settings on the NVG589

• Login to your NVG589 by going to 192.168.1.254
  • Go to 'Home Network' then 'Subnets & DHCP'.  Your password is on the side of the modem.
  • If your 'Device IPv4 Address' is the same subnet as your local router, I suggest changing it.  I changed mine to 192.169.2.254 but you can stick with whatever you like / need.  My subnet Mask remains at 255.255.255.0
  • Change 'DHCPv4 Start Address' to 192.169.2.1 (or whatever your above Device IPv4 address is but with a 1 at the end instead of .254)
  • Change 'DHCPv4 End Address' to 192.169.2.5, Just a few more than the Start Address.  We need these for any WAP extenders for wifi TV's.  It's important that you only have the laptop plugged into the ethernet at this point.
  • Click 'SAVE' at the bottom.
  • Go to 'Home Network'  then 'Wireless' and turn wireless off.  You want to use the wifi on your own router right?
  • Go to 'Firewall' then ' 'Packet Filter'.  Disable Packet Filters.  Again, we want our router to do the work.
  • Make sure you don't have any of your own settings turned on in 'NAT/Gaming' (don't worry if you see 1 in there already that you can't delete).
  • Go to 'Firewall' then 'IP Passthrough'.  For 'Default Server Internal Address', select or type in 192.169.2.1.
  • For 'Allocation Mode' select 'Passthrough' (I had to do it in this reverse order to be able to type for some reason)
  • For 'Passthrough Mode', select 'DHCPS-Fixed'
  • Type in the MAC address for your router under 'Manual Entry', lowercase is fine.
  • Click SAVE.  It will tell you that it needs to reboot.  Hang on for a minute.
  • Go to 'Firewall Advanced' at the top and turn everything OFF.
  • Near the top of your screen, you should see an option telling you to reboot the router. Go ahead and do this now. It takes about 2 minutes.

Personal Router Settings.

• Unplug your laptop and plug in your personal router while the NVG589 reboots.  
  • Plug your laptop into your personal router and login to it.  For me, it was 192.168.1.1 (hence why I changed things above)
  • For the ASUS RT-N66U, I had to go to my WAN settings, then 'Internet Connection'.
  • Change 'WAN Connection Type' to 'Automatic IP'.  This will give your personal router the external IP of the NVG589 and is the key to making this whole thing work. Some folks will have to manually enter in an IP and this can be found under the 'Broadband - Status' section of the NVG589 settings.  If you don't have 'automatic IP' then I feel bad for you since you will have to manually change this every time your IP changes.
  • 'Enable WAN', 'Enable NAT' and 'Enable UPnP' is all set to YES for me.  
  • I recomend Setting your own DNS server.  I use Google's but you use whatever you like.  Google's is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
  • 'Account Setting - Authentication' is 'None'.
  • There are no Special requirements from ISP at the bottom.
  • Hit APPLY at the bottom and your router will reboot.

I also changed settings in my IPTV under LAN:

• Profile was None.
  • Choose IPTV STB port, I set to LAN3 & LAN4.  I plugged my U-Verse WAP for the wireless reciver into the NVG589 and I plugged the ethernet cable going to the VIP2250 into LAN3 on my personal router.  I'm really not sure if this was necessary but I'm having 0 issues with this setup.  I initially tried putting the WAP on my personal router but had issues so I stuck it back on the NVG589 and it's fine.  I could probably just plug the VIP2250 into the NVG589 as well but I'm just enjoying the small victory of using my personal router for now.  
  • Hit apply at the bottom, another possible reboot.

At this point, I checked the internet and everything was working great through the router.  I restarted by 2 TV boxes (the VIP and the wifi ones).  Everything is peachy.

Your mileage may vary.  Good luck.

EDIT to update WAP configuration. 

Thank you sooooo much!!!!!

Scholar

• 

99 Messages

10 years ago

@MoInSTL wrote:

You can leave the NVG IP adress the default if that's easier for you.  Just make sure the router is set to 192.168.2.1 for example.

Ok so  in that case what would you want to have the "Default Server Internal Address" set as ? 192.168.1.254 ? My router is already using 192.168.27.1 so i dont need to change the NVG, i just am not clear on what the correct entry should be in the "Default Server Internal Address"...also, any tips for having devices able to "talk" see PC's connected on both sides, from NVG to Router?Thanks

Scholar

• 

99 Messages

10 years ago

Let me ask this in a better way, should the "Default Server Internal Address" be the same as my "Device IPv4 Address" or my "DHCPv4 Start Address"? Right now after setting ip passthrough it seems to have incorrectly set itself to the ip of a random device on my LAN, and although all is working i need to clarify on how it should be set so i can set it back properly. THANK YOU ALL

Scholar

• 

99 Messages

10 years ago

I will be the first to admit i dont know jack about this stuff, especially compared to some of the contributors to this thread, but the lanuage in this description seems TO ME like the "default server internal address" should actually be set to the personal router's IP, or the LAN IP of whatever device you want to receive the "unexpected or unknown traffic"...though i must also admit i am not sure what is meant by that entirely so who knows

Screenshot 2014-09-27 07.25.34.png

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

The description says it pretty well.  If you have a router behind the RG, then you want the unsolicited Internet raffic that comes from the RG's external port to be sent to your router.  Thus, you give your router's LAN address (WRT to the RG).

Keep in mind that when you have the RG and a router, you have two different address spaces, one is the LAN for the RG and the WAN for the router, the second is the LAN for the router.  It sounds like you want your router's internal LAN address to stay on the 192.168.27.0/32 subnet at 192.168.27.1, and that's fine.  All of your existing equipment can stay on the 192.168.27.0/32 subnet.  Your router and the RG will communicate with each other on the 192.168.1.0/32 subnet.  The RG will use 192.168.1.254 and your router will use another address on the 192.168.1.0/32 subnet, by default it will request it from the RG via DHCP.  If you turn on DMZplus mode with respect to your router, then your router will assigned your external public address its WAN side, which removes double-NAT.

Scholar

• 

99 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you. I am feeling especially stupid/ignorant here so forgive me. I have followed all the steps here & my RG is still set to 192.168.1.254 & my router is 192.168.27.1 with my WAN assigned to it via the IP Passthrough feature. Since i Kept the RG as 192.168.1.254 what should be in the "Default Server Internal Address" Field? In the OP example it uses 192.168.2.1 which is OP's IPV4 Starting address, on my NVG589 the IPv4 Start address is 192.168.1.3 so if i understand correctly that is what i should put in this field? I cant leave it blank either because when i did that it populated it with a random client IP (192.168.1.81) on my LAN as shown below and i just want to be sure of what it should be set as before i change the entry.

If you already answered this or alluded to an answer in your first reply please forgive me, it just isnt clear to me from that reply which is likely my own fault for not making it clear what my main question was. 

Screenshot 2014-09-27 16.33.17.png

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.