Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!

• 

2 Messages

Sat, May 23, 2020 2:11 AM

Fiber Buildout Plans

I live on the SE side of Grand Rapids MI right by a major intersection (Eastern Ave & 28th St) and I've been horribly frustrated that ATT has no fiber available at my home. I've been sitting on 50 Mbps DSL 2 and I cannot find out when our area will get upgraded for higher speeds. Is there any way of sharing what the upgrade cycle looks like?

Responses

my thoughts

Employee

• 

15.3K Messages

7 days ago

The company does not provide future expansion plans to customer facing employees such as call centers or tech in the field.

Once the fiber is installed, then addresses turned green for ordering at which time call centers and techs will know as the address is eligible for fiber in the database. The neighborhood would know weeks to months before as they have seen the local contractors installing fiber on the poles or laying orange conduit.

What is known is the major 4 year push (2016 to end 2019) is completed reaching over 14 million addresses (18%) within the 21 state footprint. This exceeded the announced plan of 12.5+ million in summer of 2015 by +10%.

The company has announced they will continue to deploy fiber but at a slower pace than the recent 3.5 million per year. As a note if they would have continue at the 3.5 million pace till end of 2025 would have reached 35 million addresses or about 45% of all addresses.

Expecting this decade to be about 5G wireless and 5G Plus, both are already in select markets with 5G Plus reporting hitting just under 1G on a wireless connection in Las Vegas.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

• 

2 Messages

IOW, what I'm reading here is overall strategy is prioritizing the wireless network w/ 5G which, I'm suspecting, means densifying in neighborhoods like where I'm at. So if wireless network gets robust, some sort of home wireless product will be offered possibly w/ some incentive for wireline customers to switch to wireless, am I reading that right?