Need help with your equipment?
suhongng's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, August 8th, 2013 12:35 AM

Extremely slow speeds (<1mbps download, 500ms ping, MAX PRO)

For the past week I've been experiencing VERY slow speeds at what seems like random intervals of the day. I had an AT&T technician come out to my home yesterday to look at the problem. He installed a new direct line into my home and gave me a new modem. Although the problem seems to be fixed, I am back to slow speeds. My connection never actually goes out, it just becomes extremely slow.

Here is my speedtest from a few days ago: http://www.speedtest.net/result/2875619944.png

I can't even load up the speedtest page at the moment to do another test. As you can see, this is pretty ridiculous. Especially when I'm paying for Max Pro. To add to the frustration, this seems to happen randomly, and for hours at a time. It becomes difficult to explain my problem when I'm speaking with tech support and my internet is fine one moment, but as soon as I'm off the line with them it can start to slow down again.

Could someone provide any help/advice? I have been an AT&T customer for many years now and I am very tempted to switch providers at this point.

Community Support

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

Hi suhongng,

We received your private message and one of our managers will be reaching out to you shortly. 

Thanks!

Nicole K.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Having a VERY similar and frustrating problem. At night, 20 Mbps down, 20ms ping. Everything's great. Was just given a new box by an AT&T  tech. HOWEVER durign the DAY it's 500ms ping, 6Mbps down, *** 0.2Mbps ** UP. I basically have NO upstream connectivity, and at 500ms ping, voip will not function.

From what I've seen support is not engineering -- thus far I've experienced resources that guess, /try something, and hope for the best. Phone support has been asking meaningless questions like what operating system I'm running. Engineering requires a curious mind, taking measurements, finding the bottlneck, and addressing it, whether it's at the pole, neighborhood junction, etc.

I'd love it if someone from AT&T engineering could investigate, please. I work from home and this is a threat to my livelihood. Otherwise I'm going to have to give Comcast a try (ick).

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

@studio2222 wrote:

Having a VERY similar and frustrating problem. At night, 20 Mbps down, 20ms ping. Everything's great. Was just given a new box by an AT&T  tech. HOWEVER durign the DAY it's 500ms ping, 6Mbps down, *** 0.2Mbps ** UP. I basically have NO upstream connectivity, and at 500ms ping, voip will not function.

From what I've seen support is not engineering -- thus far I've experienced resources that guess, /try something, and hope for the best. Phone support has been asking meaningless questions like what operating system I'm running. Engineering requires a curious mind, taking measurements, finding the bottlneck, and addressing it, whether it's at the pole, neighborhood junction, etc.

I'd love it if someone from AT&T engineering could investigate, please. I work from home and this is a threat to my livelihood. Otherwise I'm going to have to give Comcast a try (ick).

Have you successfully eliminated any chance that some process is flooding your upstream during the day?  e.g. Online Backup, p2p file sharing, video uploading, malware, etc.?  Have you checked your RG (http://192.168.1.254 ) to see if it's generating any error counts?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.