Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!
ChanceBox

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

Wed, Apr 4, 2018 11:07 PM

Extremely High Latency And Packet Loss

I've been dealing with high ping for two weeks straight. Every few seconds it'll shoot up to 1000+ ms, rendering my internet useless. I've tried contacting tech support, they didn't know what latency is. They sent out a technician, everything's green across the board on my network, so he couldn't do anything. He even switched out the router and it did the same thing, so no problem there. Here I've run a ping test for google Why.PNG

You can see there's quite a few hops with 100% packet loss, and a couple that are close.

This is getting pretty frustrating with everybody I talk to about the matter not knowing what ping or latency is. I'm someone who likes playing games with friends, and now I have to turn them down because the games just get too laggy to enjoy. Please, if somebody knows anything, any info would be greatly appreciated because right now I feel like I'm paying for nothing.

1 Attachment

Responses

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

17.2K Messages

2 years ago

@ChanceBox wrote:

...I have a razer keyboard and have razer software constantly running to work with it. The razer software seemed to have been maxing out my bandwidth at certain intervals. I've had this setup since November last year and never had any problems with Razer doing that before. I ended the process and immediately the tests went down to around 20ms average and went up to around 150ms only a couple times. I'll contact Razer about that later....

Do you use the Razer feature "Stats & Heatmaps" by any chance?

@ChanceBox wrote:

...but my connection is still dropping every few minutes. I'm really wondering if maybe the technician did something wrong, because this never happened before he was here.

Yes, unfortunately, he may have switched you to another pair or port with intent to improve things, but instead put you on a worse pair or port.  The pair might have issues such as a partial short to ground, or a bridge tap, the port could be on a different kind of card or a card/port with issues.  You'd have to either call them back out or use the Troubleshoot and Resolve tool to detect that you need them back out and help you schedule it.  

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
ChanceBox

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

2 years ago

My mouse is set up to use stats and heatmaps, but that's on a different program altogether. My mouse runs through Synapse while my keyboard runs through Synapse 3, part of Razer Central, which doesn't include stats and heatmaps. I started a ping test for the CO IP this morning before heading into work and I'm not seeing any of the large spikes, even with regular Synapse still open. It goes up to 100-200ms every now and then, but apart from that my latency is fine. The test showed that the internet went out at least 5 times in the past 6 hours, and for a single hop after it came back it pinged at 2000ms, but immediately went down to 50 after that single hop.

I guess I'll be calling AT&T again later. Went into my account and it showed an alert saying a problem was detected with my connection, which redirected me to the troubleshoot & resolve page. I let that run for a bit, but it said there were no problems detected.

Also last night I was noticing youtube videos left on auto quality would sometimes switch from highest (1080p60) to lowest (144p). I'm assuming it was due to the internet cutting out, but I'm not 100% sure.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I'm having the same exact problem... I work from home leveraging video conferencing, and it's becoming impossible as video freezes up at least once every three minutes for 10-15 seconds. I've also had AT&T service out several times, switched router, etc. and they say the signal is fine coming into the house... but I did not have this problem with Spectrum... I've disconnected EVERYTHING from the router, shut off WiFi, and just had my laptop hardwired into router... and still get the packet loss.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

17.2K Messages

2 years ago

@GChristianson wrote:

...and still get the packet loss.

How are you identifying and/or quantifying that packet loss?  Have you checked your service pair statistics on the Gateway?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Im having very similar issue now. Latency spikes occur often and some packet loss.

I used to get 40--60% packet loss and even netflix was buffering every 3 minutes, Technician came out, changed everything, cleaned the fiber, did new cables under the house etc etc. Problem went away just to come back next day. 
Then Att sent out a different router/modem, with this one it seems like packet loss spikes are gone, but latency still spikes every so often, Packet loss however is not ridiculously high anymore but is at 2-4% almost all the time (wasn't the case with the older modem i had - that one used to be at 0% and then spike to 40-60%)
I feel like issue is with the modem, that there is something it doesn't like. i wouldn't mind using my own third party modem, but i read that this is impossible.

So what else should i try? Customer service has been very good to me so far, but i feel like i can hardly describe them the problem im having. From their end it looks good, technician comes over and all his tests come out good (yet netflix is buffering in background).
I have a gigabit fiber, speeds are incredible, definitely on the higher end 990 down and 990 up, ping to closest ATT server is 1ms (!) and mostly around my city is around 2-7ms. I play games on European servers mostly and ping is around 110-135, i don't mind that but it isn't stable, rendering my game-play useless. 

What else to try?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

Me too bro. My latency/ping goes to 900+ every five goddang seconds and 15%+ packet loss at those spikes as well. I’ve had a technician come out 5 times and each time they replaced the router and told me that their bullcrap  “meter” isn’t showing any problems. Then as soon as they leave my ping starts doing the thing again after about two hours of BO4 later. I’m getting sick and tired of these random lag spikes and I’m seriously thinking about leaving AT&T, even though I’ve been with them since 2004. Thanks AT&T for ALL that you do lol. 😐

[word filter avoidance]

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

a year ago

I'm having the same problem. I can run the ping utility and watch latency go from a normal 30ms to 1000ms about every 30 seconds. It happens like clockwork.  I've also disconnected everything from my network and shut everything down on my Mac accept for ping.. no luck. I'm ready for Verizon Fios, but they just can't seem to lay cable fast enough.