For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
ChanceBox's profile

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

Wednesday, April 4th, 2018 11:07 PM

Extremely High Latency And Packet Loss

I've been dealing with high ping for two weeks straight. Every few seconds it'll shoot up to 1000+ ms, rendering my internet useless. I've tried contacting tech support, they didn't know what latency is. They sent out a technician, everything's green across the board on my network, so he couldn't do anything. He even switched out the router and it did the same thing, so no problem there. Here I've run a ping test for google Why.PNG

You can see there's quite a few hops with 100% packet loss, and a couple that are close.

This is getting pretty frustrating with everybody I talk to about the matter not knowing what ping or latency is. I'm someone who likes playing games with friends, and now I have to turn them down because the games just get too laggy to enjoy. Please, if somebody knows anything, any info would be greatly appreciated because right now I feel like I'm paying for nothing.

1 Attachment

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

6 years ago

Just checked bandwidth and it's the same rate it normally is, even during spikes.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

6 years ago

@ChanceBox wrote:

Just checked bandwidth and it's the same rate it normally is, even during spikes.

How long do your spikes last?  Long enough to be there through an entire test?  Have you noticed if doing a speed test causes a spike?

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

6 years ago

The spikes usually last 5-10 seconds, though sometimes they happen back to back like they did here 

LatencyTest.PNG

And as far as I know, the speed tests didn't cause any spikes.

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

6 years ago

How do your line error counts look?

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

6 years ago

Capture.PNG

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

6 years ago

Those look decent.  A single corrected block shouldn't cause much in the way of latency, certainly not 500 ms of it.  The rate considered to be too high is 100 FEC/minute.  Your 15 minute rate of 389 and 24 hour rate of 19769 are well below that.  A CRC could cause substantial latency for TCP (and dropped packets for ICMP and UDP), but you don't get a lot of those (fortunately). 

So, except for the fact that your data rates are low due to line quality, I don't think your line condition is causing the latency.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

6 years ago

Which brings me back to where I started. I can't do anything on my end to fix it and I can't contact anyone at AT&T who can fix the issue. There aren't any signs of it resolving by itself either, instead the spikes are becoming more random, sometimes 30 seconds apart and other times they happen on top of each other.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

6 years ago

My opinion is still that the latency spikes are caused by filling the upstream pipe.  With a 1 megabit upstream link, it only takes 128 KB to fill the pipe for a second, Less than 1.5 MB to fill it for the 11 seconds of your graphed spike.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

6 years ago

If that were the case I would've had these spikes for 7 months, but it's been fine up until now. I even tried closing most programs that use upload, which are things I have open all the time so again it shouldn't be the problem, and the spikes are still the same. The spikes don't even cause any drops in upload speed. The only problems I have with upload are posting files or streaming of any kind.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

6 years ago

Now I've come full circle. Decided to call tech support one last time and they're now saying my modem is not reachable, my internet is down, and that there is a line issue. Yet I'm still able to use my internet. I mentioned latency and they once again didn't know what it is, nor could they understand half of anything else I said. They set an appointment for tomorrow to send yet another technician, but didn't even give me the time frame or let me confirm before hanging up. Very disappointed in this service, I don't have time to go through this loop multiple times, nor should I have to fight for hours when representatives aren't fluent enough in english to understand half of what I say.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.