AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
ChanceBox

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

Wed, Apr 4, 2018 11:07 PM

Extremely High Latency And Packet Loss

I've been dealing with high ping for two weeks straight. Every few seconds it'll shoot up to 1000+ ms, rendering my internet useless. I've tried contacting tech support, they didn't know what latency is. They sent out a technician, everything's green across the board on my network, so he couldn't do anything. He even switched out the router and it did the same thing, so no problem there. Here I've run a ping test for google Why.PNG

You can see there's quite a few hops with 100% packet loss, and a couple that are close.

This is getting pretty frustrating with everybody I talk to about the matter not knowing what ping or latency is. I'm someone who likes playing games with friends, and now I have to turn them down because the games just get too laggy to enjoy. Please, if somebody knows anything, any info would be greatly appreciated because right now I feel like I'm paying for nothing.

1 Attachment

Responses

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

17.8K Messages

3 years ago

Those look decent.  A single corrected block shouldn't cause much in the way of latency, certainly not 500 ms of it.  The rate considered to be too high is 100 FEC/minute.  Your 15 minute rate of 389 and 24 hour rate of 19769 are well below that.  A CRC could cause substantial latency for TCP (and dropped packets for ICMP and UDP), but you don't get a lot of those (fortunately). 

So, except for the fact that your data rates are low due to line quality, I don't think your line condition is causing the latency.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
ChanceBox

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

3 years ago

Which brings me back to where I started. I can't do anything on my end to fix it and I can't contact anyone at AT&T who can fix the issue. There aren't any signs of it resolving by itself either, instead the spikes are becoming more random, sometimes 30 seconds apart and other times they happen on top of each other.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

17.8K Messages

3 years ago

My opinion is still that the latency spikes are caused by filling the upstream pipe.  With a 1 megabit upstream link, it only takes 128 KB to fill the pipe for a second, Less than 1.5 MB to fill it for the 11 seconds of your graphed spike.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
ChanceBox

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

3 years ago

If that were the case I would've had these spikes for 7 months, but it's been fine up until now. I even tried closing most programs that use upload, which are things I have open all the time so again it shouldn't be the problem, and the spikes are still the same. The spikes don't even cause any drops in upload speed. The only problems I have with upload are posting files or streaming of any kind.

ChanceBox

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

3 years ago

Now I've come full circle. Decided to call tech support one last time and they're now saying my modem is not reachable, my internet is down, and that there is a line issue. Yet I'm still able to use my internet. I mentioned latency and they once again didn't know what it is, nor could they understand half of anything else I said. They set an appointment for tomorrow to send yet another technician, but didn't even give me the time frame or let me confirm before hanging up. Very disappointed in this service, I don't have time to go through this loop multiple times, nor should I have to fight for hours when representatives aren't fluent enough in english to understand half of what I say.

ChanceBox

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

3 years ago

Results of the technician's visit: A few problems were fixed outside, he said the noise margin didn't look right so he took care of that. However, I showed him latency tests I was running while he was here, and he said he has no clue why it's happening because all their tests show that I should be getting what I'm paying for and that there's nothing AT&T can do to fix it. He assured me there were no related problems, no congestion, nothing with speeds dropping or anything else. So they're basically saying I'm stuck with these spikes for as long as I have the service and no upgrades will fix it.

As of posting this, there have been a couple spikes higher than ever, going past 3000ms just for google. 

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

17.8K Messages

3 years ago

In your position, this is what I'd do:

1) In one CMD window, run a continuous PING -t command against the IP address that's your first hop (108.x.x.1)

2) In another CMD window, run a continuous PING -t command against the IP address of your Gateway (192.168.1.254).

3) Whenever you see latency spikes in your application, bring these two CMD windows to the front and see if either, both or neither is showing the latency spike.

Oops, one thing have forgotten to ask in all of this.  Do the ping spikes show up on wired or wireless connected devices, or both?

ChanceBox

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

3 years ago

The gateway test stays constant at 1ms or below, the spikes are showing on the other one. Also they're showing on both wireless and wired devices, same level of spikes for all devices.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

17.8K Messages

3 years ago

That's all consistent.  If it were wireless induced latency, you'd also see it between your device and the Gateway and the wireless devices would likely show all different versions of latency issues.

Your spikes are showing between the Gateway and first hop, meaning its occurring over your drop and/or the very first part of the AT&T Network.  Latency due to FEC is negligible (you pay for it all the time).  Latency due to CRC means the contents of the entire packet are lost.  Since ICMP doesn't do retries (TCP does, UDP doesn't do them either), then you get dropped packets, not increased latency.

ChanceBox

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

3 years ago

Now ever since the technician was here yesterday my connection has been frequently dropping, bringing up a message with the ID NAD-2302 saying broadband service is not available. While that's happening, the gateway page shows that the connection to at&t is still up, and the connection usually returns within 5 minutes or so. It seemed to have stopped doing it late last night, and wasn't happening earlier this morning, but it's happened about 10 times within the past hour. I'm not sure if it's related to the spikes, something the technician did, or if someone else is currently working on it, because the technician said someone would be working on it, but didn't know when or how long. 

As of typing this it happened again, but this time the gateway page showed the connection to at&t being down and attempting to browse pages brings up a privacy error message.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

17.8K Messages

3 years ago

Pull your stats from your Gateway again, (including sync rates and error counts).

ChanceBox

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

3 years ago

I was away for a day and left a download going before I left, which is the cause of the traffic here. The errors I believe were from losing connection during the download, it seemed to have stalled at some point and never finished. 

GatewayStats.PNG

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

17.8K Messages

3 years ago

Things looked really ugly 21 hours, 41 minutes before you took that screen capture, but pretty good since.  Of course, if you don't pass much traffic (which the transfer probably failed about that 21:41 ago) then you don't get many errors.

ChanceBox

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

3 years ago

Yeah, the connection was dropping every few minutes when I left, so I wasn't really surprised when I saw all of that. As far as I know, the connection drops have stopped at this point, no drops last night or this morning so far. Spikes are still going though, slowing down browsing, videos/streams stop loading during the spikes, etc. Everything is basically the same as before the technician came, if not slower. Spikes are becoming more frequent and the download speed is starting to drop down past 1mbps during those spikes.

ChanceBox

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

3 years ago

I seem to have found the problem, except it really shouldn't be what's causing this. I have a razer keyboard and have razer software constantly running to work with it. The razer software seemed to have been maxing out my bandwidth at certain intervals. I've had this setup since November last year and never had any problems with Razer doing that before. I ended the process and immediately the tests went down to around 20ms average and went up to around 150ms only a couple times. I'll contact Razer about that later.

So that seems to be "fixed", but my connection is still dropping every few minutes. I'm really wondering if maybe the technician did something wrong, because this never happened before he was here.

Get started...

Ask a new question