For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
sebald01's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Monday, January 18th, 2016 8:43 PM

Ethernet Connection Issues

I purchased a new HP desktop with Win10 installed.  The Ethernet connection has not worked from the beginning, I can only use WIFI.  I tested the modem by plugging into my laptop and it works without any problems, my laptop is still on Win7.  I purchased a new Ethernet cable, unistalled the drivers and ran every troubleshooting I could find.  Contacted Geeksquad since I bought the computer at BestBuy and they wanted me to bring in and charge me to look. Contacted HP and they want to restore the computer and then take in for service if that doesn't work.  Contacted AT&T support and was told that the modem needed to be configured to Win10 and they could do that, but they want to charge me.  I don't think I should have to pay my ISP to fix an internet connection issue on a brand new computer.  If I can't get it fixed, I'm dropping AT&T for all of services (TV, internet, home phone and cell phones).  My modem is an AT&T uVerse Arris NVG589.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I'm having this same problem with my new ATT Uverse service. It works fine on wireless however I need to use a hardwire connection for work purposes. My PC is a few month old Dell Inspiron 17 with Win10 and the ethernet connection is resetting about every 10-30 seconds. I get an error message that says "Your connection was interupted, a network change has been detected", and then my laptop reconnects, ...over and over and over. 

There seems to be an incompatibility issue between this Dell laptop and Uverse. My network adapter is a Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller. Win10 tells me it's working properly and using the latest driver dated 5/2015. Prior to this new Uverse service I'd been using the same ethernet port on ATT DSL without any problems. 

I'm curious if the person who started this thread was able to get their adapter repaired or if it tested good with no problem found. I suspect my network adapter is fine but the new PACE model 5268AC FXN gateway isn't compatible with it. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Yes, I've been using the USB adapter for the ethernet cable connection since January and I've not had a single connection issue since.  HP finally agreed that it was likely a hardware issue and not a software issue, so they wanted me to ship the PC to them to be repaired.  I let them send me the shipping box, but have not used it.  I honestly don't trust that it will come back ok or how long it would take.  The USB works just fine, so I'm happy with that.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

8 years ago

Cjjonn -- Have you disabled your wireless on your computer?  Sometimes there is a conflict when both the wireless and the ethernet are enabled.  I use ethernet when I am home and wireless when I'm not.  I just have to disable and reenable my wireless in between.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for the feedback sebal01 and flemmann. 

Indeed I am disabling my wireless to use the hard cable. In fact, if I'm connected wirelessly and then plug in the cable, it still resets my connection every 10 or 15 seconds which disrupts the wireless. 

Today I was able to borrow another laptop which had no problem staying connected over my UVerse ethernet cable. This does seem to indicate an issue with my PC, yet its ethernet port works fine for DSL service. 

ATT sent a tech back out to check the lines coming to my house and he made some adjustments but to no avail. The tech told me he had a similar problem that turned out to be a driver issue in his PC. I checked to see if there was a driver update available for mine but no such luck. 

I guess if I switch to a USB based card I'd be using a different driver, so that might be a viable work around. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have had the same issue with all of my Windows 10 machines, so I believe it is an issue with the Arris modem not recognizing the Ethernet protocols that MS has apparently made to the OS. The Windows 7 machines connect perfectly so this seems to be the issue. ATT needs to fix this issue as Win10 will be the primary OS in a year or two.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

I am having the same problem.  When trying to connect via ethernet, it tries, but says "Network cable unplugged".   It will work wirelessly, but not wired.  I have an HP Pavilion 500-PC Series desktop computer that is 3 years old.  I upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 last year and all has been well.  I had dsl high-speed internet at the time.  Two weeks ago I upgraded to ATT U-Verse fiber internet, and my desktop cannot connect via ethernet.  The ATT U-Verse is 5268-AC.  The desktop has Realtek PCLE FE Family Controller.

AT&T has sent out two technicians, but neither knows how to fix it.  A laptop plugged into the same ethernet cable works fine.  I've taken my desktop to three different repair stores, and it works fine there connected to their routers.The only thing I have found to do if I want to connect wired is to change the adaper settings on this desktop so that Speed & Duplex reads 100mbps Half-Duplex instead of Auto Negotiation.  At half-duplex, sending and receiving can't happen at the same time, so speed is slower, but it stays connected this way.

I think the problem has to be some kind of setting or something, but nobody seems to know.  There is some kind of conflict between this particular desktop and the new ATT U-Verse router.  Very frustrating.  I've tried everything.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

I too have the exact same problem and have given up trying to connect via a secured cable. Wireless connection appears to be the only option.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Im having similar issues with my new hp laptop. I have ATT. My ethernet connection drops every minute. I have a new modem, new ethernet cables, rebooted my modem, rebooted my laptop, and even tried to connect at my sister's house. I took it to best buy but they claim it does not do it in the store. I read about a usb ethernet but havent tried it. I need assistance asap. I was supposed to start training for a new job today but cant because I need hard wired internet. I was thinking about switching companies. What stores carry the usb ethernet?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

This got me connected 🙂 thx

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

I love how every AT&T response in EVERY thread for 3+ years is completely useless or refusal to take responsibility. I have a perfectly fine computer, with a perfectly fine ethernet cable, in a perfect location for internet service. AT&T's internet DOES NOT WORK, and they do not give a (Edited per community guidelines). I'm paying for 50mbs fiber, and get 4mbs download on ethernet, IF it decides to connect at all? Cancel subscription.

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.