Need help with your equipment?
inajamb's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, March 3rd, 2016 1:54 AM

emails going to trash bin instead of inbox

This started a couple of days ago.  We have always had our email set to keep the messages on the server for 21 days before deleting.  When we checked the account online the other day there were no emails in the inbox.  I now have just a couple in the inbox and see that all the others have been moved to the trash folder.  We have not changed any settings.  Is the system having issues or is it something on our end?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

8 years ago

"Keep e-mails on server" is the option.that you want checked.

However, y'all might find these articles interesting:

http://wp.josh.com/2016/02/24/outlook-2016s-new-pop3-bug-deletes-your-emails/

If you are currently using the “leave on server and  delete after x days” function, the you should check your account because it seems like that the new Outlook is actually deleting your emails almost immediately after retrieving them over POP3. You might also be seeing dupes.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3145116

You have Microsoft Outlook 2016 configured to download your email by using POP3, and you experience one of the following symptoms.

• After Outlook downloads your email, all the email messages on the server are deleted from the Inbox.
  • Email messages are downloaded multiple times in Outlook, causing duplicate items.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

8 years ago

Hi @inajamb,

We are sorry about the issues with your E-mail. We have not seen any issues where this is occurring, but to be safe, we suggest changing the password on your E-mail account to ensure that no one is accessing it. Also, check your settings and filter rules to ensure there is nothing unusual going on with that.

-ATTU-verseCare

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

I am having the exact same issues. Emails come into my Inbox on my iPad & iPhone, then they are quickly moved to my Trash folder without any direction from me. This is also happening on my wife's devices. She has her own email address, and they are both under our master email account. This started on March 1, 2016. Yesterday, for some reason, emails were automatically moved from Trash back to Inbox. An hour later they were gone again! This problem is mirrored on AT&T/Yahoo webmail. I have spent several hours over the last three days working with Connect-Tec. They had me change my password, but that accomplished nothing. I spoke or chatted with at least six different Connect-Tec technicians. They checked all my webmail settings and all looked perfect. We also tried different browsers; no luck.They had no solution for me, while the problem continues!!

I use Outlook 2016 on my desktop and it is working perfectly. The problem is definitely with the webmail server, in my opinion.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Yesterday evening, my emails magically returned to my Inbox. Twelve hours later, they are still there.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I am having the same problem.  All of the emails in my Inbox move to the Trash folder unbidden and my Inbox has a smiley sun with the message, "You're all done.  Please enjoy the rest of your day."  At the suggestion of one of our IT guys, I changed my password last week, and it worked OK for a couple of days, and then started doing the same thing yesterday.  I changed my password again today, but the problem persists, and is in fact worse:  all of my emails from the last two weeks that had been moved to the Trash folder are now gone.  I use Outlook on my home and farm desktops and on my iPad 2 Air, and I have a "Personal (IMAP)" account on my Nexus 6.  I closed Outlook on my farm desktop and turned off both my Nexus 6 and my iPad Air, thinking that changing it on only one machine might fix it, but no joy.  Help, please, AT&T. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Well, my problem returned again yesterday afternoon. After working for a couple of days. I had scheduled a Connec-Tec home service guy to come out this morning, but I cancelled it yesterday monring; so I'm back to square one. What's going on here?????

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

8 years ago

Is it possible you have some PC that has a e-mail client (Outlook, etc.) installed that downloads your mail and marks it deleted on the server when it has done so?  Perhaps that PC was off during the time when everything was okay?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I checked and none of my Outlook accounts was set to delete emails from the server.  Tonight, I deleted the Imap personal email account from the Gmail app on my Nexus 6 and added it back as a new Pop3 account.  When I was setting it up, the last question was whether I wanted emails deleted from the server when I deleted them from the phone.  I said no. It seems to be working OK now, although there have not been enough incoming emails so far to really test it.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

My occurrence only seems to happen, when I leave Outlook open and running on my PC. If I keep Outlook closed, my emails seem to stay put on my Apple devices. I checked all my rules in my Outlook account settings, but I dont see any anomolies. Does anyone have any other suggestions on where else to look in Outlook?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I am having the exact same issue.  It appears to move from inbox to trash after Outlook 2016 downloads the email.  The interesting thing is this just started happening and I have been  using outlook for a long time without issue.  I did not make any setting changes and I do not see anything where it would delete the email.  Some help here is greatly appreciated.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.